• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

***, thoughts on the Troy game?

Frost is being defended like I've never seen an 0-2 coach defended before. Criticize Scott, and you risk being bludgeoned. As I've said previously, any other coach in this position, currently sitting at 0-2 -- and the pitchforks would out-number the defenders.

He has become the second coming of Christ to many. Umm, he's just a coach. He'll be a special coach if he can do special things -- but not before he does special things.

It's been an interesting past four days of analyzing a side of Husker fan psychology that I've never quite seen before. It's one wacky fan base.
Sorry, but he is a special coach, whether he has phenomenal success at Nebraska or not. Nearly every coach that people categorize as ‘great’ has had teams or seasons that simply don’t meet the same standards. What Scott accomplished at UCF was special. And the reason for pitchforks is the absurd negativity some are tossing around after 2 frickin games. You may not be one of them, but reading some of the comments has people being a bit reactionary.

I'll criticize him. He had a game plan going into the Troy game of "Dirtying the Game Up". It didn't work he then talked about how they were giving them the intermediate middle and outside runs and we didn't see it. Pull the trigger. The last scoring drive I was screaming at the TV, why was he running the ball? Six minutes left in the game and down by 11 is no time to be running the ball. He got too conservative in game plan and game in general. I think he really thought they could grind out a win. There is no excuse for taking a delay on a FG attempt. I know he owed that in his after game PC, but that 5 yards may have been the difference between the miss and make at 5 yards closer. I think it was that close.

Why haven't we seen more passing to the TE. How many passes did the TE catch in the spring game 12-13? How many have they caught in 2 games 3?

How is that for being critical.

With that being said, I still go back to missing out on that first game of the season. Missing that Akron game has hurt this teams Psyche. A good 21 point victory in that first game, which is what I am sure was going to happen was very important.

2 picks, and 2 or 3 other balls that could have been picked, are likely the reason you didn’t see him throwing the intermediate pass. We can say ‘pull the trigger’ all we want, but that was likely just serving up another TO and likely ending the game sooner. As it was, we had a shot late.

Let's see...
A team that was 4-11 in its last 15 games and starts a walk-on transfer QB manages to lose to a team that beat LSU at LSU in 2017.
And somehow this is rationale for questioning whether Frost was the right hire?
Goodness gracious. I know that message boards and talk radio are vehicles for fans to vent and feel as if their voice has power but the general lunacy of the commentary can sometimes leave one shaking their head and turning the dial.

And is seems that most are generally obsessed with the perceived "talent level" of the team. And why is this team thought of as talented? Because of past Rivals ratings and star totals.
The truth of the matter is that the talent level of this current collection of players is either grossly overvalued OR the previous combinations of coaching and S&C has left them unmotivated and lackadaisical.

After losing to Troy, this group pf players is now 4-12 in their last 16. For the mathematically challenged, that's a winning percentage of just 25%. And at the end of the day, if you win only 25% of your games, you stink. Period. And until better players arrive and better coaching takes hold, NU will continue to stink regardless of the Hudl tapes you recall watching 2-3 years ago.

And is seems that most are generally obsessed with the perceived "talent level" of the team. And why is this team thought of as talented? Because of past Rivals ratings and star totals.
The truth of the matter is that the talent level of this current collection of players is either grossly overvalued OR the previous combinations of coaching and S&C has left them unmotivated and lackadaisical.

After losing to Troy, this group pf players is now 4-12 in their last 16. For the mathematically challenged, that's a winning percentage of just 25%. And at the end of the day, if you win only 25% of your games, you stink. Period. And until better players arrive and better coaching takes hold, NU will continue to stink regardless of the Hudl tapes you recall watching 2-3 years ago.

Bingo

In terms of our previous recruiting rankings, how many of the guys at the top of those rankings are still in the program and contributing?

It is a total rebuild from the ground up. It’s not a light switch. Most of the players are not an all-Big 10 talent just waiting for the right coach. Like it or not, we are a bottom half big 10 team. Bottom half big 10 teams lose to Troy when rolling out a 4th string walk on QB.

We suck. It’s a process. Let’s see how it goes.

Sorry, but he is a special coach, whether he has phenomenal success at Nebraska or not. Nearly every coach that people categorize as ‘great’ has had teams or seasons that simply don’t meet the same standards. What Scott accomplished at UCF was special. And the reason for pitchforks is the absurd negativity some are tossing around after 2 frickin games. You may not be one of them, but reading some of the comments has people being a bit reactionary.

Okay, as long as you're sorry, I'm good with that.

Honestly... I’m still trying to digest what has happened. The marketing ploy we were fed of 700+ pound squats making us better and a coach that was a guaranteed +2 in the win column is tough to constructively talk about without ruffling feathers.

Trying to figure out how to do that. Already having to give someone a dose of reality when they say frost wasn’t the one who dropped passes but failing to realize clock management and play calls are not on the players.

Ruffle feathers brother

I’m not sure about anyone else, but I whole heartedly agree with what ex-players, coaches and our current A/D (and others in administration) have said... that we need to give Frost the “runway” he needs to get this off the ground.

While in the heat of the moment I will be as critical as any other arm chair quarterback/coach, post the traumatic stress I’m giving Frost and his staff a very heavy dose of “benefit of the doubt.”

I believe that Frost and Company are the right coaches to get this done. One big reason for that is Scott’s understanding of the culture that was (and is) needed. A culture that will take time just to get out onto the runway... let alone build enough speed to get this thing off the ground.

The other aspect that has me somewhat reserved with my criticism of Frost, is the fact that we’ve been down this path with various other coaches and administration. All with various levels of failure.

Frost brings intangibles (Program: history, familiarity, commitment) that the others did/could not. And with that said, IMHO it simply HAS to work with Frost and this administration at the helm. The consequence (and the path that it would leave us on... again) is something I truly don’t want to think about.

So I’m all N with this staff... and this administration. Get that big ole plane out of the hangar... get her repaired and tuned up... then hit the runway with all the horses you need to get her airborne. I’ll be ready to enjoy the flight!

GBR!

Last edited:
Let's see...
A team that was 4-11 in its last 15 games and starts a walk-on transfer QB manages to lose to a team that beat LSU at LSU in 2017.
Goodness gracious. I know that message boards and talk radio are vehicles for fans to vent and feel as if their voice has power but the general lunacy of the commentary can sometimes leave one shaking their head and turning the dial.
this post is a perfect example of people reading things that aren't actually printed. Find me one person on this board or any other who has said Frost was not the right hire. Oh... Maybe there's one or two idiots out there somewhere... But virtually nobody is saying he wasn't the right hire. Once again, that does not mean he's perfect... He's going to make mistakes and there's nothing wrong with pointing them out.

Bingo

In terms of our previous recruiting rankings, how many of the guys at the top of those rankings are still in the program and contributing?

It is a total rebuild from the ground up. It’s not a light switch. Most of the players are not an all-Big 10 talent just waiting for the right coach. Like it or not, we are a bottom half big 10 team. Bottom half big 10 teams lose to Troy when rolling out a 4th string walk on QB.

We suck. It’s a process. Let’s see how it goes.
This is not a total rebuild.

All of us want immediate success but this is not going to happen. There have been issues with players motivation, attitude and preparation, as well as coaching that have been prevalent for over 15 years. Its not going to change overnight. Coach Frost and his staff are relatively young coaches and will make mistakes too. Give them time to get the right culture and belief in this program, then we will see it take off. It may take another few games or it might not happen for another 2 years, but it will happen. Put away the pitchforks and ride the wagon, just relax. Stop expecting perfection or believing this is a "horrible" team. We are neither. We will improve and win some games this year and probably beat someone we are not suppose to. The future is bright and we need the positivity to help in recruiting to get the players in that will get us back to being feared and respected. GBR

Let's see...

I'm sure there are a couple of guys with IQs below room temperature questioning the hire, but I'd make a very substantial wager that 80% of the fanbase would be fine with Frost getting a Ferentz-like contract. That kind of support is the best you are going to get in the entertainment business. And make no mistake, it is a business. It has way more in common with Hollywood than it does a high school football game on a Friday night.

It's not fair to Frost at all, but most of what we are seeing is cumulative frustration. The team has invented new ways to lose games over the past 15 years. Nobody snatches defeat from the jaws of victory like Nebraska. It's kind of become our trademark. Fans expected to lose games this year, but I think it was widely believed that the days of digging 2 TD holes and committing targeting penalties on 3rd and a thousand were over.

Last edited:

It's funny how the staunchest defenders were the first to nail non-Nebraska coaches to the cross...

Hopefully the team shows signs of life by the end of the year

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back