• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thoughts on the big Husker win

wheat

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Reaction to the volleyball win….

It’s too much to call it a win of good over evil, but the Nebraska and Wisconsin teams have been built in very different fashions. Wisconsin cannibalized the rest of the conference to build their team. They took one of Minnesota’s top players plus the best players from Northwestern and Michigan State. They also took an all-Big 12 player from Kansas. The Badgers did what is within the limits of the rules, but that feels pretty slimy to me. I know that we have taken transfers, too. Lexi Sun, Kayla Caffey, Kaitlin Hord and Merritt Beason all came via transfer. However, we have mostly built through recruiting and filled gaps via transfer. I like our approach better. It feels more like what college athletics are supposed to be.

One of the consequences of Wisconsin’s strategy is that the overall conference is weakened. The B1G is very, very top heavy. There’s a massive gap between the top two and the rest. Penn State also contributed to that by taking the best players from Michigan and Ohio State. Without the flurry of transfers. Michigan State and Ohio State would have been very good this year. Minnesota is in a coaching transition, but it would have been made easier without having to replace an all conference type player. I intensely dislike Wisconsin, so the win was going to be satisfying, no matter what. It was more satisfying given the way Wisconsin built their team. That approach isn’t about developing players or people, it’s about renting talent for the sake of winning. I get that winning is important, but it seems like a shortcut to just go build a roster of players that other coaches have poured their heart and soul into and developed into elite players.

Much was made of the long losing streak to Wisconsin. The reality is that now most of our starters have never lost to the Badgers (Beason is 2-0 while Jackson, Murray, Reilly, and Choboy are all 1-0) while the cumulative record of Badger starters against the Huskers isn't as sparkling as that 10-win streak would have suggested. The team really grew up in the last couple of sets. The scary thing about this Nebraska team is they are just beginning to scratch the surface of what they can be. It should be a fun ride for the rest of the season and for the next few years.

Last edited:

I think some of the problem with players transferring is scholarships. I believe I read Ohio State lost players because they had new players coming in but not enough scholarships and not enough NIL money. The extra Covid year is still part of that.

But look at us, new players coming in but no seniors to leave. Unless we have a senior that does not play much that's I'm not aware of. Fortunately the 1890 group got 5 million designated for volleyball, so that should help us, but most big ten teams don't really have much NIL money for volleyball.

Wisconsin, this year, is following Texas volleyball and LSU basketball game-plan in putting a winner on the court. It is slimy.

If I was the BIG Conference Commish, I would be letting Penn St and Wisconsin know that it is frowned upon to be poaching your fellow conference members.

Last edited:
I think some of the problem with players transferring is scholarships. I believe I read Ohio State lost players because they had new players coming in but not enough scholarships and not enough NIL money. The extra Covid year is still part of that.

But look at us, new players coming in but no seniors to leave. Unless we have a senior that does not play much that's I'm not aware of. Fortunately the 1890 group got 5 million designated for volleyball, so that should help us, but most big ten teams don't really have much NIL money for volleyball.
I agree. I think that's part of it. I also don't think those teams were trying to chase off their All-Americans.

We'll have some departures and we'll probably have some players on NIL next year.

Last edited:

I would guess Kennedi Orr will not be here next year, but who knows.
I, also, wouldn't be surprised if Orr leaves next year. However, we will be in trouble if she does leave because she is our back-up setter. We wouldn't have anyone else to set next year if Orr leaves and Bergen Reilly gets injured. None of the incoming 2024 freshmen are setters. Cook would have to get a setter from the portal.

I think a prime candidate for a transfer is Hayden Kubik. She is a good player but there is no room for her in the starting lineup. She isn't beating out Beason or Murray or Krause or Batenhorst this year or next year.

Current roster has 5 juniors, 5 freshmen, 4 sophmores. It will be interesting to see what Cook does to juggle the roster next year with three (?) high achievers inbound.

Last edited:

The game was interesting, both teams did not play up to there potential. If we played like we did against Stamford we would of sweep them and likely any team we play. We are definitely loaded with talent.

But, if we keep playing like we have the last few weeks; we will drop a couple games soon. Purdue is a really good team when they get into a grove, they could beat us or wisky any given day. Obviously Stamford is really good too. Likely do us good in the long run to keep the mental drive going to improve. We have the potential to be historically good. Also I think this win will help us too, so the lady huskers now know they can win ugly against a good team.

The thing I keep coming back to when I think about this game is that the only reason it went five is because Wisconsin got their blocking going and it took us 2 and a half sets to figure out a way to combat it. Not that the 1st, 4th and 5th sets weren't really tight - they were, and Wisconsin's offensive and defensive capabilities are excellent - but if we figure out Wisconsin's block sooner, that game may have never gone to a 5th set.

The team's youth may mean it takes them a little longer to see what's going on and analyze what opponents are doing - there have been a lot of sets this year where we get down or are in tight sets and then something seems to click and we come roaring back - but so far they've been able to figure it out before it's too late. If they were playing with fire against lesser competition it'd be one thing, but to be able to flirt with danger against, what, 8 ranked opponents so far this year? To do that and still pull out all the wins in the end says a lot of good things about this group's potential.

Reaction to the volleyball win….

It’s too much to call it a win of good over evil, but the Nebraska and Wisconsin teams have been built in very different fashions. Wisconsin cannibalized the rest of the conference to build their team. They took one of Minnesota’s top players plus the best players from Northwestern and Michigan State. They also took an all-Big 12 player from Kansas. The Badgers did what is within the limits of the rules, but that feels pretty slimy to me. I know that we have taken transfers, too. Lexi Sun, Kayla Caffey, Kaitlin Hord and Merritt Beason all came via transfer. However, we have mostly built through recruiting and filled gaps via transfer. I like our approach better. It feels more like what college athletics are supposed to be.

One of the consequences of Wisconsin’s strategy is that the overall conference is weakened. The B1G is very, very top heavy. There’s a massive gap between the top two and the rest. Penn State also contributed to that by taking the best players from Michigan and Ohio State. Without the flurry of transfers. Michigan State and Ohio State would have been very good this year. Minnesota is in a coaching transition, but it would have been made easier without having to replace an all conference type player. I intensely dislike Wisconsin, so the win was going to be satisfying, no matter what. It was more satisfying given the way Wisconsin built their team. That approach isn’t about developing players or people, it’s about renting talent for the sake of winning. I get that winning is important, but it seems like a shortcut to just go build a roster of players that other coaches have poured their heart and soul into and developed into elite players.

Much was made of the long losing streak to Wisconsin. The reality is that now most of our starters have never lost to the Badgers (Beason is 2-0 while Jackson, Murray, Reilly, and Choboy are all 1-0) while the cumulative record of Badger starters against the Huskers isn't as sparkling as that 10-win streak would have suggested. The team really grew up in the last couple of sets. The scary thing about this Nebraska team is they are just beginning to scratch the surface of what they can be. It should be a fun ride for the rest of the season and for the next few years.
Well said and well done. I agree wholeheartedly on all factors.
I always felt that whiskey overdid it, the way they built up their team.
As you said, sadly they weakened the rest of the conference by "stealing" their players

We are doing it the right way. We have young kids that are going to be much better as the seasons go by. That is so encouraging........and gratifying. GO BIG RED!!! :HuskersN:

I just found this. Who gave a vote to wisky???
Actually I was not surprised.

BTW: Citadel Volleyball team is 22-0

90The CitadelSoCon22-09-07-06-00-0

Wonder how they feel about being so low. Oh well, not our problem! ;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back