• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

the signal we will get from the Arkansas state game

I don't know, but we do know Gerry DiNardo is underwhelmed with the practices he has witnessed at DONU. Severe has the same sentiment.
That MAY have been the case last year. However I call BS on it this year.
This to me is a guy who may need a Xanax but is certainly not on them.
or maybe this guy? He may have problems with alcohol but again not someone who is on Xanax.

or maybe you think this guy is on Xanax?

The point is these guys are paid to write a story or tell a story. If there isn't one then make one up.

That MAY have been the case last year. However I call BS on it this year.
This to me is a guy who may need a Xanax but is certainly not on them.
or maybe this guy? He may have problems with alcohol but again not someone who is on Xanax.

or maybe you think this guy is on Xanax?

The point is these guys are paid to write a story or tell a story. If there isn't one then make one up.

LOL, sound like POTUS

I don't think the score of the Arkansas State game will signal much of anything. After one game there is no way of knowing how good either team is. However, the game should leave a visual impression of how talented and well-coached each team is.

Ark State has an entirely new O-Line. They may not be able to score. But they do have a good pass rush. If Lee is getting plenty of time to throw, that will be a good signal.

Also, teams will normally improve as the season goes along. Last year NU regressed after the Wisconsin game. If NU looks great in the opener, it does not provide insurance they will stay that way for an entire season.

Are MR's teams mentally fragile, vulnerable to inconsistent play, and subject to let downs in the face of adversity as HIO suggests? Time will tell.

Last year NU was unbeaten, motivated, and took Wisconsin into overtime at Camp Randall. The following week they looked helpless against Ohio state. It was puzzling.
Agree 100% fans have been excited by first game blowout then disappointed as the season goes on. Play hard the entire game look for halftime adjustments and solid improvement the following week. Hopefully this team has enough depth at the QB position that an injury there doesn't end the season.

Lol. You conviently left off 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010 etc. his career is littered with it. But whatever fits your narrative.

I didn't leave them off as I never said it doesn't happen. I am saying that it is not as common as you and others push around here. Almost every coach loses to a lesser team at some point. Do you really want to go through every single year of his at OSU. I am happy to as it will show you are pushing a false narrative.

C

Last edited:

They lost a few but have 3 or so former 4/5*'s that transferred from some big programs eligible to play. What will get them in this game is the fact they lost all 5 starting O Linemen.
No sure where what you mean as far as 4/5* players coming in from big programs. On the o-line they brought in Jaypee Philbert – 3* from Iowa State and JUCO transfers Marvis Brown, Chase Johnson, Nour-Eddine Seidnaly – all 2*. The rankings are from 247 Composite.

On defense they brought in Ronheen Bingham, Josh Curry and Tony Adams. Again all JUCOs and all 2* rated on 247 Composite.

It could be I missed some, but this is what I could find.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...s-state-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

I didn't leave them off as I never said it doesn't happen. I am saying that it is not as common as you and others push around here. Almost every coach loses to a lesser team at some point. Do you really want to go through every single year of his at OSU. I am happy to as it will show you are pushing a false narrative.

C
Sure, everyone loses to a not so good team from time to time, but not verrrry often. Just saying that Riley's career, so far has included a very fat share of them, including his 2 years at Nebraska so far.

Sure, everyone loses to a not so good team from time to time, but not verrrry often. Just saying that Riley's career, so far has included a very fat share of them, including his 2 years at Nebraska so far.

Not near as many as you portray and it was OSU for gods sake. Again I am happy to go over his seasons there and show that your narrative is not accurate.

C

Last edited:

Maybe, this is part of the reason his teams don't play consistent football?

Had you not interjected this into enough threads already? We get it. He also hasn't consistently recruited top 10 classes, but :eek: don't look now...

I don't know, but we do know Gerry DiNardo is underwhelmed with the practices he has witnessed at DONU. Severe has the same sentiment.

Is he the Arkansas St coach? Otherwise, who cares?

No sure where what you mean as far as 4/5* players coming in from big programs. On the o-line they brought in Jaypee Philbert – 3* from Iowa State and JUCO transfers Marvis Brown, Chase Johnson, Nour-Eddine Seidnaly – all 2*. The rankings are from 247 Composite.

On defense they brought in Ronheen Bingham, Josh Curry and Tony Adams. Again all JUCOs and all 2* rated on 247 Composite.

It could be I missed some, but this is what I could find.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...s-state-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster
Some article I read (sorry, no link) talked about 3 transfers (not JUCO's) from 3 prominent schools.....though, with my CRS, I may be thinking about another school.

Bold is not factually correct. The 4 years from 06' to 09' his worst loss would be Washington State with a 6-6 record or UCLA at 6-7. Although it can be argued that Stanford, the first game of the season, in 08' could fall into losing to a bad team but I wouldn't.

What was the bad team in 09'?

12-1 Cincinnati?
8-5 Arizona, number two in Pac12?
9-4 USC?
10-3 Oregon?
11-2 BYU?

Or in 2012...

7-6 Washington?
12-2 Stanford?
12-1 Oregon?
9-4 Texas?

The narrative that he losses to a bad team or a game he shouldn't every year is not based in reality and does any critic of his a disservice when they use it.

C
great stats. thanks.

Enough said!

Seriously? That makes no sense.

It is okay just to admit that the statement you made...

Hell win 6 straight and pull a huge upset then lay a HUGE egg at home against a bad team. Even his best teams.

2003 Oregon State 8–5 4–4 T–4th
  • Fresno State 9-5
  • Washington 6-6
  • WSU 10-3
  • Oregon 8-5
  • USC 12-1
2004 Oregon State 7–5 5–3 T–3rd
  • LSU 9-3
  • BSU 11-1
  • ASU 9-3
  • Cal 7-1
  • USC 13-0
2005 Oregon State 5–6 3–5 7th
  • Louisville 9-3
  • ASU 7-5
  • UCLA 10-2
  • Arizona 3-8 (That's a stinker, expect it in a rebuilding year)
  • Standford 5-6
  • Oregon 10-2
2006 Oregon State 10–4 6–3 3rd
  • BSU 13-0
  • Cal 10-3
  • WSU 6-6
  • UCLA 7-6(Only loss 2 games after upsetting #2 USC. Also road game)
2007 Oregon State 9–4 6–3 3rd
  • Cincinnati 10-3
  • ASU 10-3
  • UCLA 6-7
  • USC 11-2
2008 Oregon State 9–4 7–2 T–2nd
  • Standford 5-7 (First game of season)
  • PSU 11-2
  • Utah 13-0
  • Oregon 10-3
2009 Oregon State 8–5 6–3 T–2nd
  • Cincinnati 12-1
  • Arizona 8-5
  • USC 9-4
  • Oregon 10-3
  • BYU 11-2
2010 Oregon State 5–7 4–5 T–5th
  • TCU 13-0
  • BSU 12-1
  • Washington 7-6
  • UCLA 4-8
  • WSU 2-10
  • Stanford 12-1
  • Oregon 12-1
2011 Oregon State 3–9 3–6 5th (North)
(Bad year, far from one of his best teams.)
  • Sacramento State 4-7
  • Wisconsin 11-3
  • UCLA 6-8
  • ASU 6-7
  • BYU 10-3
  • Utah 8-5
  • Stanford 11-2
  • Cal 7-6
  • Oregon 12-2
2012 Oregon State 9–4 6–3 3rd (North)
  • Washington 7-6
  • Stanford 12-2
  • Oregon 12-1
  • Texas 9-4
2013 Oregon State 7–6 4–5 T–4th (North)
  • Eastern Washington 12-3 (Holy moly, holy moly)
  • Stanford 11-2
  • USC 10-4
  • ASU 10-4
  • Washington 9-4
  • Oregon 11-2
2014 Oregon State 5–7 2–7 T–5th (North)
  • USC 9-4
  • Utah 9-4
  • Stanford 8-5
  • Cal 5-7
  • WSU 3-9
  • Washington 8-6
  • Oregon 13-2

...holds no water.

Only 14% of the loses were to teams with a losing record.

I maintain that "He always loses to a team he shouldn't" is hyperbole at best and is really a false narrative meant to tear the man down.

C

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back