• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

the signal we will get from the Arkansas state game

I don't know, but we do know Gerry DiNardo is underwhelmed with the practices he has witnessed at DONU. Severe has the same sentiment.
i don't know, but something seems to get in his way of fielding consistent teams, ever.
dinardo 59-77 in 12 years. 3 winning seasons. severe sportscaster. their opinion is their opinion.
Then he outta know what unsuccessful football looks like? Maybe he's learned now that he's on the outside?

i don't know, but something seems to get in his way of fielding consistent teams, ever.

Then he outta know what unsuccessful football looks like? Maybe he's learned now that he's on the outside?

Well he has on occasion but to your point, it is called talent at the 2 and 3 deep.

C

Well he has on occasion but to your point, it is called talent at the 2 and 3 deep.

C
Goes deeper than just that my friend, and he hasn't on occasion. Hell win 6 straight and pull a huge upset then lay a HUGE egg at home against a bad team. Even his best teams. I'm hoping that'll change. Maybe the talent, and better coaches will help. Certainly can't hurt.

Last edited:
I think we will win the game. If we don't, the signal will be very clear.

But I think we should begin to look for games we win by big numbers. It has been a long time since that has been the case. If we beat them by big numbers, then to me that is a signal that we have shot at winning some major games this year. If we squeak by, then we probably have to wait another year.
In 2002, 2004 and 2007 we won our openers by "big numbers." The Arkansas State game won't "signal" anything. The Oregon, Wisky, Tosu, and Iowa games are the ones with meaning.

Goes deeper than just that my friend, and he hasn't on occasion. Hell win 6 straight and pull a huge upset then lay a HUGE egg at home against a bad team. Even his best teams. I'm hoping that'll change. Maybe the talent, and better coaches will help. Certainly can't hurt.

Bold is not factually correct. The 4 years from 06' to 09' his worst loss would be Washington State with a 6-6 record or UCLA at 6-7. Although it can be argued that Stanford, the first game of the season, in 08' could fall into losing to a bad team but I wouldn't.

What was the bad team in 09'?

12-1 Cincinnati?
8-5 Arizona, number two in Pac12?
9-4 USC?
10-3 Oregon?
11-2 BYU?

Or in 2012...

7-6 Washington?
12-2 Stanford?
12-1 Oregon?
9-4 Texas?

The narrative that he losses to a bad team or a game he shouldn't every year is not based in reality and does any critic of his a disservice when they use it.

C

The Wyoming comparison is funny to me. We stomped them in the 4th quarter last year but previously allowed them to come back in the 4th and almost win yet somehow that was better? Hopefully we blow out every non con opponent so it isn't even a duscussion.

Bold is not factually correct. The 4 years from 06' to 09' his worst loss would be Washington State with a 6-6 record or UCLA at 6-7. Although it can be argued that Stanford, the first game of the season, in 08' could fall into losing to a bad team but I wouldn't.

What was the bad team in 09'?

12-1 Cincinnati?
8-5 Arizona, number two in Pac12?
9-4 USC?
10-3 Oregon?
11-2 BYU?

Or in 2012...

7-6 Washington?
12-2 Stanford?
12-1 Oregon?
9-4 Texas?

The narrative that he losses to a bad team or a game he shouldn't every year is not based in reality and does any critic of his a disservice when they use it.

C
Lol. You conviently left off 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010 etc. his career is littered with it. But whatever fits your narrative.

I don't think the score of the Arkansas State game will signal much of anything. After one game there is no way of knowing how good either team is. However, the game should leave a visual impression of how talented and well-coached each team is.

Ark State has an entirely new O-Line. They may not be able to score. But they do have a good pass rush. If Lee is getting plenty of time to throw, that will be a good signal.

Also, teams will normally improve as the season goes along. Last year NU regressed after the Wisconsin game. If NU looks great in the opener, it does not provide insurance they will stay that way for an entire season.

Are MR's teams mentally fragile, vulnerable to inconsistent play, and subject to let downs in the face of adversity as HIO suggests? Time will tell.

Last year NU was unbeaten, motivated, and took Wisconsin into overtime at Camp Randall. The following week they looked helpless against a young Ohio State team. It was puzzling.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back