• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The One That Got Away

treeplanter

Recruit
10 Year Member
What one player that coulda/shoulda/woulda been a Husker do you most lament having lost out on?

Off the top of my head, here’s a few that might be under consideration:

Former President of the United States Gerald Ford is an Omaha native that moved away as a very young child and grew up to have an All American football career at Michigan

Omaha Benson graduate Nile Kinnick, of course, won a Heisman Trophy at Iowa

All time great running back Gale Sayers grew up in Omaha, but wound up playing football at Kansas

Iowa’s all time leading tackler, 2 time All American Larry Station was born and raised in Omaha

Heisman winning wide receiver Tim Brown leaned heavily towards Nebraska, I believe, before ultimately signing with Notre Dame

Heisman winner Barry Sanders, perhaps the greatest RB of all time, really wanted to play at Nebraska, but ended up at Oklahoma St when NU opted instead to offer the legacy recruit

Emmitt Smith might have become, at that point, the highest ranked recruit the Huskers had ever landed, but flipped to Florida at the last minute

Creighton Prep’s Junior Bryant was a highly touted recruit who spurned the Huskers for Notre Dame and eventually went on to an NFL career

Marshall Faulk, pegged as a “can’t miss DB” by every other big football school was offered an opportunity to play RB at Nebraska, but scared off by an errant remark by a Husker coach {Darlington?}

National champ and Heisman QB Joe Burrow dreamed of following in the Husker footsteps of his dad and brothers, but was led by circumstance first to Ohio St and then, later, to LSU

Who do you think is the biggest fish to get away?

Last edited:

What one player that coulda/shoulda/woulda been a Husker do you most lament having lost out on?

Off the top of my head, here’s a few that might be under consideration:

Former President of the United States Gerald Ford is an Omaha native that moved away as a very young child and grew up to have an All American football career at Michigan

Omaha Benson graduate Nile Kinnick, of course, won a Heisman Trophy at Iowa

All time great running back Gale Sayers grew up in Omaha, but wound up playing football at Kansas

Iowa’s all time leading tackler, 2 time All American Larry Station was born and raised in Omaha

Heisman winning wide receiver Tim Brown leaned heavily towards Nebraska, I believe, before ultimately signing with Notre Dame

Heisman winner Barry Sanders, perhaps the greatest RB of all time, really wanted to play at Nebraska, but ended up at Oklahoma St when NU opted instead to offer the legacy recruit

Emmitt Smith might have become, at that point, the highest ranked recruit the Huskers had ever landed, but flipped to Florida at the last minute

Creighton Prep’s Junior Bryant was a highly touted recruit who spurned the Huskers for Notre Dame and eventually went on to an NFL career

Marshall Faulk, pegged as a “can’t miss DB” by every other big football school was offered an opportunity to play RB at Nebraska, but scared off by an errant remark by a Husker coach {Darlington?}

National champ and Heisman QB Joe Burrow dreamed of following in the Husker footsteps of his dad and brothers, but was led by circumstance first to Ohio St and then, later, to LSU

Who do you think is the biggest fish to get away?

Thankfully I didn’t let this one get away.

you-should-see-the-one-that-got-away-unknown.jpg

I hate to say this, but the ones we lost the last 10-15 years hurt more because we were so loaded before then. Sorry, not sorry for saying it. Those include Fant, Burrow, Phillips, and there was a DL or two who played at Iowa whose names are escaping me.

Burrow probably hurts the most. I think he was the type of player who would have allowed us to have been better quickly and also allowed us to remove the stigma good QB don't play at NU.

Let's hope Raiola changes that narrarive.

Daunte Culpepper was, I believe, strongly interested in NU but struggled with grades so he went to (at the time) Div II school, UCF.

[Edit: Culpepper was 24/35 for 318 yds and 1 TD and 34 yds on 13 carries and 1 TD rushing when UCF played NU in '97. NU won 38-24.]

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back