• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Martinez hype train is chugging along

These odds, combined with Frost's glowing praise and polls like that on the front page, is likely too much hype for the young man.

A sophomore slump is possible, now that the whole league has film on/experience against the kid. Scaling back expectations, a bit, isn't a bad idea, IMO.

If he surpasses scaled-back expectations, than we will all by much happier (himself included) than if he fails to meet sky-high expectations.

These odds, combined with Frost's glowing praise and polls like that on the front page, is likely too much hype for the young man.

A sophomore slump is possible, now that the whole league has film on/experience against the kid. Scaling back expectations, a bit, isn't a bad idea, IMO.

If he surpasses scaled-back expectations, than we will all by much happier (himself included) than if he fails to meet sky-high expectations.
We've got to find a stud at RB

How could you possibly know that? He certainly showed me enough composure last year that I would say it’s more likely he can handle it than it is it will be too much for him.

is likely too much hype for the young man.

Maybe if he was playing under Ri...Riii...eeer..., that guy that went back to Oregon & is now in San Antonio, while leaving behind the players that followed him to Oregon.

With the coaches we have & the composure I saw from that young man last year, it makes me very excited about this year.

How could you possibly know that? He certainly showed me enough composure last year that I would say it’s more likely he can handle it than it is it will be too much for him.
The point is that the hype is completely unnecessary, at this point. Don't pile more onto the young man than he is already trying to deal with.

I don't understand Frost's public praise, in this regard.

Lets talk hype when he wins 9 games because it is like he shows promise and we are ready to give the gold cup. He still needs to earn it. I think lots of growth needs to happen before he is one of the greats. I still question his health because he is an injury away from us losing almost all the backfield from last year.

From the article link...
But something that is borderline unprecedented is that the starting quarterback for a team that finished 4-8 the previous season is situated inside the Top 3 frontrunners per Vegas oddsmakers.

Westgate tabs Martinez alongside quarterback transfers Jalen Hurts (Oklahoma) and Justin Fields(Ohio State) at +600. Only Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa (+250) and Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence (+300) have better odds.

Sizable expectations, but nothing Martinez can't handle according to Huskers coach Scott Frost.

"Adrian, from the minute I met him, I knew he was a special kid," Frost said during this week's Husker Sports Nightly radio show. "We had a decision to make coming out of spring ball and coming out of fall camp on who our guy was going to be at quarterback. Our staff could see who he was and had an idea of what he was going to be come and knew he had a chance to be really special.

"My hope is that when he leaves Nebraska, he's thought of as one of the all-time greats at the position. In fact, I hope he's thought of as the greatest to ever play at Nebraska at that position."

After wowing a sellout crowd at the spring game in his debut, Martinez took QB1 snaps as a true freshman and finished with 3,246 yards from scrimmage and 25 touchdowns, drawing early comparison's to UCF's McKenzie Milton — the quarterback that Frost hand-picked out of Hawai'i to lead the Knights.

5c79a52e713cb.image.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back