• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Martinez hype train is chugging along

Lavaman

Rebel Scum
10 Year Member
I don't know if I'm jaded from years of heartbreak, but mentioning the word "Heisman" in the same sentence as a current Husker usually gets me to recoil pretty quickly.

So when I read this headline,
"More Heisman Hype for Adrian Martinez" I admit, I rolled my eyes a little.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...drian-Martinez-Heisman-Trophy-odds-129233511/

Apparently, the oddsmaker BetOnline has Martinez at 12 to 1 odds to win the Heisman. Those are the 4th best behind Trevor Lawrence, Tua, and Jalen Hurts. That is some awfully good company.

So is this:

Overall, Martinez was just the sixth freshman quarterback — true or redshirt — to average 200 passing yards and 50 rushing yards per game since 1990, joining Oregon's Marcus Mariota (2012), Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel (2012) and Ohio State's J.T. Barrett (2014) as the only freshmen quarterbacks to reach those marks in the last decade
(I'll also note that he did this against one of the toughest schedules in the country and after being injured on a dirty play to start the year(god i cant wait for that rematch))

I so badly want to believe this kid is that good and we have finally struck gold at QB again, but I'm worried that A) he's going to be hampered by opponents having a year's worth of tape on him B) No Stanley Morgan Jr. safety net to lean on C) its a good bet none of our RBs will be averaging over 7 ypc again D) whoever is at RB will be an unproven pass blocker.

Tell me why my caution is unwarranted please.

Last edited:

I don't think your caution is unwarranted with Lawrence and Tua returning to the field for their respective schools as the big marquee Heisman candidates, but after the Freshman year Martinez had I don't think a healthy bit of optimism is out of line either. Also as you mentioned, he's lost some very big pieces to the offense from last year and we'll have to see how the 2019 roster will step up and how the staff will address those losses.

IF Nebraska finds a way to make it to the B1G CCG (Unlikely, but not impossible given the schedule and rest of the West) and Martinez continues to trend up and improve his play, he'll be in the mix. IF he has a flat out monster 2019 and Nebraska is back in the top 10, he's going to gain even more traction. Going into the season I think the award is Lawrence's to lose, but it's been lost before.

I don't think your caution is unwarranted with Lawrence and Tua returning to the field for their respective schools as the big marquee Heisman candidates, but after the Freshman year Martinez had I don't think a healthy bit of optimism is out of line either. Also as you mentioned, he's lost some very big pieces to the offense from last year and we'll have to see how the 2019 roster will step up and how the staff will address those losses.

IF Nebraska finds a way to make it to the B1G CCG (Unlikely, but not impossible given the schedule and rest of the West) and Martinez continues to trend up and improve his play, he'll be in the mix. IF he has a flat out monster 2019 and Nebraska is back in the top 10, he's going to gain even more traction. Going into the season I think the award is Lawrence's to lose, but it's been lost before.
I should clarify a little. My caution isn't really in regards to him winning the award per se, but him actually being that caliber of player. I'll be jumping for joy, giddy as a school girl, doing back flips and singing Joy to the World if he's still being mentioned as a Heisman candidate to end the year. That will likely mean really good things for the team.

There's no way Martinez wins the Heisman without a CCG victory, imo.

Last edited:
I should clarify a little. My caution isn't really in regards to him winning the award per se, but him actually being that caliber of player. I'll be jumping for joy, giddy as a school girl, doing back flips and singing Joy to the World if he's still being mentioned as a Heisman candidate to end the year. That will likely mean really good things for the team.

I do think he is that caliber of player. That's not guarantee that he'll win one (see Ron Powlus. Kidding).

Agree that his ultimate success and Nebraska's ultimate success are joined at the hip. You cannot have one without the other and vice versa.

There are three things that are required to be a serious contender.
1. You have to have the stats
2. you have to be on a team that is in the play for a Conference championship late into the season. (Not necessary to win as many have already voted by then. )
3. You have to play the right position.

He has three already, he plays QB.

As for #1
Kyler Murray had a TD/int ratio of 42/7 He ran for 7.2 yards per carry
Baker Mayfield had a TD/INT ratio of 43/6 and ran for 3.2 YPC
2AM had a TD/INT of 17/8 and ran for 4.4

So on the surface it would seem he is way off but look at both QBs freshman year.
Murray 5/7 TDint and 6.3 YPC
Mayfield was 12/9 and ypc 2.2
So 2AM blew both out of the water TD/int ratio as a freshman. Murray ran for a better average but as a freshman had a negative TD/int ratio. Looking at the freshman numbers I would take 2AM every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

To meet #2 the rest of the team has to come along for the ride.

I don't know if I'm jaded from years of heartbreak, but mentioning the word "Heisman" in the same sentence as a current Husker usually gets me to recoil pretty quickly.

So when I read this headline,
"More Heisman Hype for Adrian Martinez" I admit, I rolled my eyes a little.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...drian-Martinez-Heisman-Trophy-odds-129233511/

Apparently, the oddsmaker BetOnline has Martinez at 12 to 1 odds to win the Heisman. Those are the 4th best behind Trevor Lawrence, Tua, and Jalen Hurts. That is some awfully good company.

So is this:

(I'll also note that he did this against one of the toughest schedules in the country and after being injured on a dirty play to start the year(god i cant wait for that rematch))

I so badly want to believe this kid is that good and we have finally struck gold at QB again, but I'm worried that A) he's going to be hampered by opponents having a year's worth of tape on him B) No Stanley Morgan Jr. safety net to lean on C) its a good bet none of our RBs will be averaging over 7 ypc again D) whoever is at RB will be an unproven pass blocker.

Tell me why my caution is unwarranted please.
We most on here are convinced that he is the real deal.He will be in the running for sure.GBR.

Here is the thing about AM. We have seen it. There is nothing about last year that would warrant anything in his performance that could be considered a fluke. We know he can run, we know he can throw, he is cool under pressure and that included some pretty stiff competition in the B1G. Overall judgement as a freshman was good and was working with an offensive line that will is bound to be better as he goes along. I see no reason to believe he isn't the real deal.

Now does that mean Heisman? Absolutely not. But its not real wishful thinking or a stretch to believe he is top 5-7 material with real possibilities of moving up.

Last edited:
Here is the thing about AM. We have seen it. There is nothing about last year that would warrant anything in his performance that could be considered a fluke. We know he can run, we know he can throw, he is cool under pressure and that included some pretty stiff competition in the B1G. Overall judgement as a freshman was good and was working with an offensive line that will is bound to be better as he goes along. I see no reason to believe he isn't the real deal.

Now does that mean Heisman? Absolutely not. But its not real wishful thinking or a stretch to believe he is top 5-7 material with real possibilities of moving up.
I also saw him make some boneheaded mistakes, some of which were downright confusing. Those are what I will be looking for. You can attribute that to him being a true freshman, obviously, but I just want to see the really dumb mistakes eliminated before I go crazy with the kool aid. Im definitely sipping on it right now, though.

Hype is hype. Journalists make their living with it. At the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding.

Martinez is an impressive player and could win the Heisman one day, but Vegas is just stealing money by giving the public ridiculously low odds on players to win the Heisman. Martinez should be at least 40 or 50/1 and likely even higher THIS year.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back