• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Legend of Bubba Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will sign in Feb with Nebraska and set foot on campus....why would he burn bridges if he doesn't sign with a MLB team? The draft in not until June....I don't understand why folks keep saying he won't sign or see campus.....if he stays is another question...but he will sign and will see campus....

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101225/BIGRED/712259900#the-legend-of-bubba-starling

May be the best player since Carl Crawford to never set foot on campus

The stories rolled across the Kansas prairie like a summer thunderstorm.

At first, they sounded like tall tales. Concocted in some Main Street coffee shop. But they kept coming. Could it be true?

That a small-town boy with a name straight out of American folklore bounced off a gymnasium floor, caught an errant pass, turned 180 degrees in the air as he got fouled and dunked the ball over his head.

That his baseball coach made him use a wood bat at practice so he wouldn't blast the elementary school parking lot beyond the left field wall. “You don't wanna kill somebody,” the coach said.

Those millions (or half that after taxes) won't replace the experiences he would have in college. It won't be the same if he goes to school later. He may realize that.

He'll have some amazing experiences in the minors that will easily replace college. I had a friend that played in college...THEN the minors...great experiences in both.

He will sign in Feb with Nebraska and set foot on campus....why would he burn bridges if he doesn't sign with a MLB team? The draft in not until June....I don't understand why folks keep saying he won't sign or see campus.....if he stays is another question...but he will sign and will see campus....

He will sign. And the negotiations likely will take a while. He may even start fall camp...but it could well end up like the LSU kid last year.

Isn't the deal with MLB tho, once he starts taking a class, he becomes ineligible and therefore could not sign? and then having to wait until his 3rd year of college before becoming eligible once more? So if he were to officially commit (sign papers), he could still be in the MLB draft in the spring, and even go thru the start of fall camp. But once he attends one class, MLB is out of luck for 3 years. If this were teh case, then his starting classes in February would seal his decision I would think.

So am I misremembering the whole MLB/CFB deal? or ??

Isn't the deal with MLB tho, once he starts taking a class, he becomes ineligible and therefore could not sign? and then having to wait until his 3rd year of college before becoming eligible once more? So if he were to officially commit (sign papers), he could still be in the MLB draft in the spring, and even go thru the start of fall camp. But once he attends one class, MLB is out of luck for 3 years. If this were teh case, then his starting classes in February would seal his decision I would think.

The signing deadline in August 15th and classes at NU haven't started by then so it will be a moot point. Either he signs by then or he waits 3 years.

My question is: If he decides to stay in college, do people back him or do they ride him forever saying he made a dumb move?

If yoiu're asking about people on message boards...my experience is that he will take some heat from everyone at some point in time.

Hard to believe the rating services didn't give him 5 stars. Not that it matters, just say'n.

I am thinking we really don't want him to enroll in classes even if he were using us to get a better MLB deal. Doesn't athletic elgibility end five years after you become a full time student (exception is sixth year if you miss two seasons due to injury)? There might be an exception if you are called up for active military duty. Maybe it is completing a semester.

But the point is, let's say he enrolls and then signs with MLB, has his clock started, and say five or six years later Baseball hasn't worked out, could he then come back and play Football? Given the number of players who have been able to come back to College Football from Baseball, I wouldn't want him to give up his ability to play College Football. Yes, a lot would have changed, but you'd think we'd be at the top of his list if he were to be dropped from MLB. I'd want to be at the top of his list and for him to be able to play for us.

Last edited:

Okay, I choose to enter the fantasy and believe that he will honor his commitment and show and play for the Huskers. I can handle the disappointment if it doesn't come to pass, but it's a better thought than to think that he won't.

Agree

It's great that he gave us a commitment but I'm not really expecting him to be here in the fall, even if he is walking around in Lincoln in July. It would be nice if I was wrong but..........

Hard to believe the rating services didn't give him 5 stars. Not that it matters, just say'n.

I saw Bubba play the first time against Blue Valley in Gardner. Bubba had a nice offensive line and some good running backs to work with. However, he really didn't have much to work with at wide receiver. Bubba was basically a man among boys when he played every team this past season. He really couldn't pass when forced in 3rd and very long situations considering the lack of talent at wide receiver on his team. His passing success was based on play action passes and having a wide receiver/tight end slip past the secondary. He won't be able to run the ball nearly as much as he did this past season assuming he ever plays at Nebraska. He is a very talented runner but the jury is still out about his arm. I really liked how he lowered his head to deliver the blow instead of just taking it form the defender.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back