• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked The Legend of Bubba Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjw11

Varsity
10 Year Member
http://www.omaha.com/article/20101225/BIGRED/712259900#the-legend-of-bubba-starling

May be the best player since Carl Crawford to never set foot on campus

The stories rolled across the Kansas prairie like a summer thunderstorm.

At first, they sounded like tall tales. Concocted in some Main Street coffee shop. But they kept coming. Could it be true?

That a small-town boy with a name straight out of American folklore bounced off a gymnasium floor, caught an errant pass, turned 180 degrees in the air as he got fouled and dunked the ball over his head.

That his baseball coach made him use a wood bat at practice so he wouldn't blast the elementary school parking lot beyond the left field wall. “You don't wanna kill somebody,â€￾ the coach said.

warning...near the middle of the article the word "crap" is used...wouldnt want the virgin eyes to be blinded by such foul words:taunt:

Obviously it'll be great if we get him but I'm not holding my breath. He'd have to want to play football pretty bad to give up 5-10 million. I guess I don't understand the theatrics unless he really is interested in coming here.

Bubba sounds very grounded. He is the type of kid any family would welcome in with open arms. He will make the right decision for him.

We all hope the decision he makes includes playing for the Huskers. We'll see in a few short months.

Good luck Bubba!

Okay, I choose to enter the fantasy and believe that he will honor his commitment and show and play for the Huskers. I can handle the disappointment if it doesn't come to pass, but it's a better thought than to think that he won't.

Obviously it'll be great if we get him but I'm not holding my breath. He'd have to want to play football pretty bad to give up 5-10 million. I guess I don't understand the theatrics unless he really is interested in coming here.

Helps to have leverage in negotiations. I'd make the same choice. Money is better, contracts guaranteed for duration, and the career prospects better. NFL stands for Not For Long.

Jesus, you'd really have to love football to pass that up.

Best of Luck to the kid either way. Glad to see another Midwestern'er accomplish so much, with so much more potential in front of him!

Nice story. I'll give the writer the benefit of the doubt about all the superlatives. Sort of reminds me of the way Rex B was viewed back home when he was in high school.

This is the time of year when we get all giddy about recruits. I'm through getting too excited about any recruit anymore, based on our history of defections. I'll be delighted once he's ever on campus and attended his first class. Until then I'll chill.

Jesus, you'd really have to love football to pass that up.

This seems to be the case. I'm in KC and have nothing close to a source. But I do hear repeatedly how much he loves football and the current offense is his game.

Yes it could all be part of the negotiations. Although I find it interesting that as quoted in the article the Starlings are upset about being misquoted by a Nebraska media source. Upset by a manufactured soap opera?

Last edited:
You can't help but like this kid. Stranger things have happened. Cooper came here, maybe bubba will too.

Nice story. I'll give the writer the benefit of the doubt about all the superlatives. Sort of reminds me of the way Rex B was viewed back home when he was in high school.

And it turned out they were viewing Rex B correctly, actually.

You can't help but like this kid. Stranger things have happened. Cooper came here, maybe bubba will too.

From a strictly financial and athletic standpoint it hasn't worked out very well for Cooper so far. Not sure he'll ever excell at either sport in college until he focusses on one or the other.

Those millions (or half that after taxes) won't replace the experiences he would have in college. It won't be the same if he goes to school later. He may realize that.

Turner Gill was a 2nd round MLB pick prior to coming to NU (1980).

Wish Bubba all the best in whatever sport(s) he chooses to pursue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back