• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Hits Keep Coming

Harriman to New Mexico.

Now Johnson, Smith, and Harriman all gone.

Being a Husker hoops fan takes some resolve. To put it mildly.

So one guy leaves for his alma mater, then another leaves to become a head coach and the final guy leave to work with someone he has a bit of friendship with and becomes the Associate Head Coach, not just an assistant as the headlines in the WH made it sound.

It happens, especially these days when guys are far less interested in just hanging back working as an assistant. Even lower level head coaches make a decent living, and if you are going to be working the hours no matter what, you might as well be paid better, or have greater opportunity for advancement.

It kind of strikes me as funny that we are in panic when we lose some pieces of a puzzle that seemed pretty dysfunctional much of last season, yet we were yelling at our head football coach the much of the last 7 years to do the same kind of house cleaning/upgrading when things didn't go right. Why is tweaking the machine ok in football, but not ok in basketball?

Last edited:
Robin Washut ‏<s>@</s>RobinWashut <small class="time">15m15 minutes ago</small>
Miles said he found out Harriman was leaving Sunday. Wasn’t about $$. Wanted associate HC title in West region.

Last edited:

Robin Washut ‏<s>@</s>RobinWashut <small class="time">15m15 minutes ago</small>
Miles said he’s taken about 58 phone calls from coaches since Harriman left. Give or take. “We’re going to hire somebody good."

Last edited:
Harriman's main job was his connection to Australia and New Zealand, and the best guard over there I don't think is any better than the 10th best guard in Chicago. We need people with connections to places in the states. Our X's and O's guy left when Smith bolted to South Dakota...

This is a loss because it's another piece of the foundation that got TM where he is today, but if Miles makes the right hire we will get an upgrade. I'm not sweating losing Harriman tho.

Thanks; your views are well-articulated and worthy of respect. The hire and near-term recruiting will be very interesting to watch.

I am glad there are a few level headed people on here. I don't blame Harriman for wanting the title. If he wants to be a head coach, good move. Also, has anyone considered there may be a better facility close by for his son? I agree with *** that his main recruiting was Australia and Tasmania, which hasn't produced a whole lot of spectacular players. Focus on kids a little closer to home that won't have to deal with being on the other side of the world.

I won't lose any sleep over Petteway and Pitchford leaving. So be it. Disappointed Smith is leaving, but it happens.

I am still waiting for these people clamoring for a big name coach to tell which "big name" coach is trying to come here as his dream job???

I am still waiting for these people clamoring for a big name coach to tell which "big name" coach is trying to come here as his dream job???

Scott Frost? Half of the people on this board would want him as a basketball coach just because he used to play here.;)

Thanks; your views are well-articulated and worthy of respect. The hire and near-term recruiting will be very interesting to watch.

Don't get me wrong, we are losing a foundation piece... If Miles doesn't handle it correctly it will be a loss. It's like when we lost Carl Pelini and just put JP in his spot. If you make the right hire I think we will be better off. We hire some dude with recruiting ties to Idaho and I'll shake my head...

More than anything I feel bad for the guy that just signed his LOI to us from over there. Hope he liked the total package here instead of just Harriman...

I think Miles needed to press the reset button on some things and while losing Harriman was a surprise, could end up ok in the end. Just like Petteway and Pitchford declaring, probably not great for upcoming season but in the long haul could pay dividends...

Last edited:
I am glad there are a few level headed people on here. I don't blame Harriman for wanting the title. If he wants to be a head coach, good move. Also, has anyone considered there may be a better facility close by for his son? I agree with *** that his main recruiting was Australia and Tasmania, which hasn't produced a whole lot of spectacular players. Focus on kids a little closer to home that won't have to deal with being on the other side of the world.

I won't lose any sleep over Petteway and Pitchford leaving. So be it. Disappointed Smith is leaving, but it happens.

Someone who can put a product on the floor day in and day out that doesn't look like a middle school team. Either the kids quit on Miles this season or it was a poorly coached team at times, not sure which one.

Maybe the coach from Wichita St would listen if enough money was discussed. Coaching in the B1G might be a draw IMO

Maybe the coach from Wichita St would listen if enough money was discussed. Coaching in the B1G might be a draw IMO

If you mean the same coach who just said no to Alabama and Texas, I'd have to say that's not even a pipe dream. We've got a good coach. Sit back and let him get the train back on the rails.

If you mean the same coach who just said no to Alabama and Texas, I'd have to say that's not even a pipe dream. We've got a good coach. Sit back and let him get the train back on the rails.

Marshall didn't say no to Texas, as Texas never approached him. But Alabama did.

Regardless, Marshall is making most of twice as much as Miles. Nebraska would not look to top the new contract he just signed with Wichita State. And since he just signed it this month, the buyout is likely enormous at this point.

Marshall is actually making slightly more than Mike Riley now. Zero chance we'd be willing to pay our basketball coach more than football.

Yep -- you're right -- definitely not even a pipe dream. :)

Last edited:
Marshall didn't say no to Texas, as Texas never approached him. But Alabama did.

Regardless, Marshall is making most of twice as much as Miles. Nebraska would not look to top the new contract he just signed with Wichita State. And since he just signed it this month, the buyout is likely enormous at this point.

Marshall is actually making slightly more than Mike Riley now. Zero chance we'd be willing to pay our basketball coach more than football.

Yep -- you're right -- definitely not even a pipe dream. :)

Rumors behind the scene on several talk shows with ties to Texas said he was contacted. Maybe not formally, but he had people talking to his people. I thought he'd be a good fit there, and while I think they got their guy in Smart, I think they gauged the interest and it wasn't overwhelming.

WSU actually has some pretty solid tradition, decent facilities and they are going to be a tourney team the majority of the time. Texas has a lot to offer, but the Big 12 is still a tough one to get through, and plenty of talent most years.

Amazing! Everyone wants to crucify Coach Miles!

After what he did for this a year ago, you have to believe, there is more to the story of the demise of the team, than blaming him.

Players just did not show up, period! I am behind Coach Miles.

Everyone wants to jump ship or push him off the plank!!

Yes, we Husker fans are spoiled, for sure. We all need to get a grip and give this man more time. :peacesign:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back