• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The elephant in the room.

To be clear, what is the elephant? The relatively low rating in the 20s? Whatever... I'd say I am too old to understand, but according to the 'guess my age' thread, we all are old. Whatever

maybe he meant the Alabama Mascot...or a new addition to the team lunch menu?

This class of offensive linemen is tremendous. The body-type and athletic ability of these boys (soon to become men) is much different from what we have seen in the recent past. They are all going to look like Cameron Jurgens within a year. Within 2-3 years these kids will be the bullies of the Big 10. For too long we have had fat, slow, offensive linemen. Husker Power is still 2-3 years a way.

Saban is the master of development. Even though he recruits very, very well............we all know the services decide that a 3* recruit becomes a 4* or 5* the minute Bama decides to go hard after someone.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

We recruited well enough (so far even, it's not done yet until February!) to win the Big Ten with a class like this. We should start there and focus there. Win the Big Ten.
Yeah TO first had to learn to beat OU and win the Big 8 consistently, then it was learning to win bowl games, then compete for national championships. I think we found the right coach and a workable formula to succeed

Only 11 kids on the field for each team at any given time. You get the right 11 on both sides of the ball and you can be a UCF that beats an Auburn who beat the eventual NC Alabama. You can have top 10 classes and be miles from beating a Bama....but you can have top 25 classes and be with in a TD....and then there's a chance.

Your point is valid and yes, it is easy to recruit to a successful program with talent around it. However, maybe take a look back at the classes Texass was signing when the last won a NC and you might also get the feeling that it won't last forever at Bama either. Something or someone will come along and mess it up....hopefully sooner than later.
I am thinking instead of someone "coming along" to mess it up it will be "someone leaving" i.e. Saban.

18 of the 25 kids from AL, GA, MS, LA, FL, and KY. Pretty concentrated area of talent but at the same time, that's where a huge chunk of national attention and camps are located too.

Recruiting to a system and having a specific strategy deployed is what will ultimately make us successful regardless of the rankings. Stabilizing to top 20-25 classes year in and out and occasionally jumping up to top 10-15 depending on our geographic talent will make a world of difference.
Plus having a staff that can actually develop the players.....

Really excited about this class. In spite of the lower 20 rankings, I believe for the first time in a long time that we have kids coming in with the right mindset and are able to be developed. Plus we have a staff that is huge into development. Gone are the days of the MR period where we were getting the high 4 star guys that was nothing but drama and twitter glory over their recruitment such as bookie and some of the Calibraska guys. Everything about them was about attention and me me me.

In spite of this I can't help but look at Alabama with 25 recruits and only one 3 star in the bunch. The rich evidently get richer but it shows where the geographical talent is and how easy it is to recruit in your own backyard. I think it will always be a building process whereas this staff will find it easier to get access to more of the top talent as the years go by. Even then I think it will be a balancing act between finding the right fit for many of those guys. I have never been someone who likes coaches who are able to bring in the prima donna players with no idea on how they will fit in.

Except for the MR players who are contributing to the program, their okay guys. ;)

USATSI_10347982-718x490.jpg

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back