• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Texas QB Casey Thompson Enters Transfer Portal; Update On Campus Visiting

Casey Thompson is going into his fifth year of college football and is already 23 years old.
He is only coming to NU for a one year tutelage under Whipple. There is no way he continues playing college football in 2023 at the age of 24.
Therefore, this notion that landing Thompson will somehow scare away Purdy is nonsense and it would be absolutely fantastic for NU to land both....which certainly appears to be the way its headed.
my understanding is that he has 2 years of eligibility with the Covid waiver?

Last edited:

Maybe it's understood that Whipple will still be here whether Scott Frost is or isn't. I don't see Whipple, Joseph, and Raiola here just for one year
There is no way you can assume any assistant coaches will remain if the head coach is fired. It just doesn’t work that way and it shouldn’t.

An experienced and successful OC who is currently at the top of his game. It does matter that his best season was this most recent one, and not 5 or 10 years ago. What attainable OC candidate had a better resume than that, for the current situation?

If Thompson and Purdy transfer as indications point to, Whipple will deserve a share of credit for helping to recruit two talented prospects immediately into the QB room. Similar to my last question, what attainable talent should we look to instead? I’d call that a tangible good result, to support the’hype’.

I also don’t understand the discussion about expecting Thompson to have the results of AM. The one way the Huskers could guarantee to get the same results as AM would have been to keep him as the starter next year. He’s already contributed to the firing of his position coach, OC and truncated salary of his head coach. So they go out and (imminently) attract a talented QB or two, in addition to Torres’ signing. What more could we hope for or expect? Thompson has the physical tools, has played in big time games. What better options do the Huskers have than to bring in a guy with that resume? (He still has to win the starting job.)

Several posters keep reminding us that Frost is handicapped by a tentative situation where players may not be sure he’ll have the job long. In that context Whipple and Thompson seem like triumphant catches. Personally, I think its not that ridiculous for a recruit to look at this past season and feel like this is a team poised to turn the corner, with the stability that entails. These recruits aren’t delusional to think that. A team that ‘should have’ beaten Michigan, MSU and Iowa just limiting my list to the more aggravatingly inept give-aways. Imagine what the expectations would be if you kept the bad loss to Illinois, but closed out those 3 games.
He retired. We thew a ton of money at him to get him unretired. I like his maturity and experience. I think those are things that Frost could use on staff, but if you look at his track record you'll see its not all success and great results.

FTT... I think this is a short sighted take. Whipple's biggest attribute is coaching up QBs. When the playing field was level...Whipple produced very good offenses and excellent QB play.

Have a look at his record... When he was at New Haven, Brown and UMass (when UMass was FCS) they produced tons of scoring... His second stint at UMass only looks bad because they were so out-talented vs their opponents. They were a new FBS Indy and played a ton of schools much better than they could ever hope to be. You only need to look at how bad UMass football is now to see that 4-8 was not actually that bad... case in point... in the 2017 season they went to Knoxville and lost to the Vols by 4 and went to Starkville and lost to Miss St by 1... UMass has no business being on the same field with SEC talent.

Other than Pickett, what QB's has he coached in college that are notable? I'm genuinely curious. Pitt was outstanding this year, but that's a bit of outlier compared to his other years.

Sometimes when things are stagnant, it you are trying to get over the hump, small changes could make a big difference. Thompson and AM might be similar, Thompson may be a better thrower and AM a better runner. That doesn't mean they will have the same results, but it doesn't mean they will have different results either.

I guess then, to answer your question, is that people knew what we were getting with AM, but there is hope Thompson could get us over the hump.
I actually agree with everything you are saying. Just noting the irony of how “hope” is being applied with very little rational. Seems like the fans who are happy with all the changes are the same ones who didn’t want to go through change with SF. Imagine how much hope we could have if we had changed head coaches

As you referred to knowing what we had with Adrian……I think we knew what we had with SF

Maybe it's understood that Whipple will still be here whether Scott Frost is or isn't. I don't see Whipple, Joseph, and Raiola here just for one year

If Frost were to be let go, there's absolutely no way you can force the next head coach to keep any of Frost's assistants.

EDIT: I see you and Nash already discussed.

FWIW, I also highly doubt we have the next head coach on our current staff.

Last edited:
I have no doubt you are correct. But he was 4-6 last year as a starter with recruiting classes in top 10 surrounding him. What makes him different than what we have had the last 4 year? Asking for a friend.
More TD’s, less INT’s while playing with a bum hand.

Other than Pickett, what QB's has he coached in college that are notable? I'm genuinely curious. Pitt was outstanding this year, but that's a bit of outlier compared to his other years.
Ben Rothlisberger when he was a rookie and helped coach him to the Steelers first Super Bowl win in decades.

I actually agree with everything you are saying. Just noting the irony of how “hope” is being applied with very little rational. Seems like the fans who are happy with all the changes are the same ones who didn’t want to go through change with SF. Imagine how much hope we could have if we had changed head coaches

As you referred to knowing what we had with Adrian……I think we knew what we had with SF
Very good points. I know at personal level I am hoping these changes are just the right ingredients to the recipe of what is needed to gain some successful traction. But have to admit after 20 some years, I’m beginning to experience some ’hope fatigue’. And I don’t like that.

For clarity and before someone accuses me of trashing Whipple, he might be a good hire. I'm open to it. I'm just not as sold on the hype. Especially considering it's a large leap philosophically from what we were running previously.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back