• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked TE Mitchell Will Not Be "N"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No biggie...:)....a rare 4-4 guy who did the prep school thing his first year....like Jean-Baptiste, who went the prep school route, and ended up as a 4-4 guy too....who used his RS year and neither played a down at the JUCO level....

Understood. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Because based on this, he isn't academic eligble at Nebraska for a 2011 scholarship....AND he is interested in getting a scholarship RIGHT NOW for the 2011 class.....if was really interested in Nebraska he could accept a 2012 scholarship once he gets his academics in order....sort of like Heard did who REALLY wanted to come to Nebraska....in Mitchell's case it appears he wants a scholarship wherever he can get one for 2011....perhaps for his medical issue...I don't know....

As you said, he will go elsehwere and sit for a year, while he rehabs from his soon to be ACL surgery, and your right it doesn't make sense at all to me either....which belies what he said earlier in this process, that Nebraska was the place for him and vica-versa either in 2011 or 2012...someone in my opinion, is giving him bad advice....best of luck to him...like I said above probally best for both sides to move on....

There was no room for his teammate in 2011 and he never got an offer from us and just about everyone thought Mitchell would be 'N' as a TE...however, he has chosen to move on because he wants a scholarship NOW....not in 2011....so be it....much different tune than he was talking a month or so ago....

And yes he is a great talent that we could have used....however, there are other TE recruits out there....glad it happened this early in the recruiting cycle that we can now put our empahsis elsewhere...and we will....

Thus my comment 'for obvious reasons'....

Recruiting is a funny business....but you know that already....just look at the Gabberts...

So yeah we get neither....oh well we move on....happens allot....you know that..we will survive this I think....we survived the Gabbert brothers moving on....

Best of luck to him....

I got the sense from the article that Nebraska's admissions turned him down due to an Algebra credit - that for some reason he obtained from yet another JUCO (Cloud County in Concordia, KS); a huge red flag in my mind - and he apparently beleives that there are other schools that will accept the credit. So I am not sure this is a NCAA Clearinghouse issue; he may be elgible for a scholarship at another school (apparently OU isn't one of them, perhaps they would see the algebra credit the same way or OU has changed their view, too).

From time to time we have heard that Nebraska uses some stricter academic standards than NCAA. I also think there are limits the NCAA places on school for making academic exceptions for athletes that they wouldn't make for a non-athlete. Perhaps he ran afoul of this (and I wonder about Chas Jackson & Daniel Davie in this regard). It would be good to get the straight scoop on how the admissions process affects recruiting, as it is more than just NCAA Clearinghouse.

Last edited:
The only way this makes much sense is if there are better reh benifits at the D1 level that are not offered at the JUCO level. that could be why he would want the D1 offer now, such as if a JUCO college does not pick up 100% of the ACL surgury cost but at a D1 school it is 100% covered. Then it makes sense to want that D1 scholie NOW, because if you are sitting and rehabing it does not make much difference if it is at a D1 school or at the JUCO leve either way in 2012 he will be a 3-3 guy, so there must be some medical benifit at the D1 level that the his JUCO does not offerl.

I honestly do not know what the medical coverage would be with a Community College and an athletic injury....I suspect not real good though....

Big Yoshi had a telling comment when he got to Nebraska....he talked about the difference in the 'training table' in that at Fort Scott, they lived on hamburgers and pizza and at Nebraska the best nutrional food and it was the best he had ever eaten....sort of like minor league bus trips and living on hot dogs and hamburgers and eating steaks in the big leagues....

So yeah I would agree with you the medical benifits are more than likely light years better....

The only way this makes much sense is if there are better reh benifits at the D1 level that are not offered at the JUCO level. that could be why he would want the D1 offer now, such as if a JUCO college does not pick up 100% of the ACL surgury cost but at a D1 school it is 100% covered. Then it makes sense to want that D1 scholie NOW, because if you are sitting and rehabing it does not make much difference if it is at a D1 school or at the JUCO leve either way in 2012 he will be a 3-3 guy, so there must be some medical benifit at the D1 level that the his JUCO does not offerl.

Because based on this, he isn't academic eligble at Nebraska for a 2011 scholarship....AND he is interested in getting a scholarship RIGHT NOW for the 2011 class.....if was really interested in Nebraska he could accept a 2012 scholarship once he gets his academics in order....sort of like Heard did who REALLY wanted to come to Nebraska....in Mitchell's case it appears he wants a scholarship wherever he can get one for 2011....perhaps for his medical issue...I don't know....

As you said, he will go elsehwere and sit for a year, while he rehabs from his soon to be ACL surgery, and your right it doesn't make sense at all to me either....which belies what he said earlier in this process, that Nebraska was the place for him and vica-versa either in 2011 or 2012...someone in my opinion, is giving him bad advice....best of luck to him...like I said above probally best for both sides to move on....

There was no room for his teammate in 2011 and he never got an offer from us and just about everyone thought Mitchell would be 'N' as a TE...however, he has chosen to move on because he wants a scholarship NOW....not in 2011....so be it....much different tune than he was talking a month or so ago....

And yes he is a great talent that we could have used....however, there are other TE recruits out there....glad it happened this early in the recruiting cycle that we can now put our empahsis elsewhere...and we will....

Thus my comment 'for obvious reasons'....

Recruiting is a funny business....but you know that already....just look at the Gabberts...

So yeah we get neither....oh well we move on....happens allot....you know that..we will survive this I think....we survived the Gabbert brothers moving on....

Best of luck to him....

Yep....that is why I don't get hung up on the recruits as I did. They are usually saying one thing and doing another, most kids can't tell adults no or how they really feel. they are say it is great and boom they commit somewhere else.

He has already used his RS this past season....which is why he would have been a 4-4 guy coming in....he would have had 3 years to play after sitting and rehabing....that is how it would have affected it....

He has used his RS year last season as I pointed out above...he is a 4-4 guy....

So had he waited for the 2012 class he would be a 3-3 guy coming in as sitting next year would have burned a year however, he could have applied for a medical hardship somewhere in the process over the final three years to get back the lost year....and it probally would have been approved in my opinion....as the injury happened in spring practice at Fort Scott this year....

If he sit out the first year on his own he would not get a medical year back as he would have to be injured two years to get one back. The more I think about this it is better for NU as he seems like he wants it now and has already went to prep school so he could go pro after one year here as he would be out of HS 3 years. Just seems like red flags are popping up.

Which was my point....he wants it 'now' and the school he goes is of no interest to him...so we agree 100% on that...

If he sit out the first year on his own he would not get a medical year back as he would have to be injured two years to get one back. The more I think about this it is better for NU as he seems like he wants it now and has already went to prep school so he could go pro after one year here as he would be out of HS 3 years. Just seems like red flags are popping up.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back