• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked TE Mitchell Will Not Be "N"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToBeRed

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Due to an academic hold up, Mitchell will be looking elsewhere.

Big blow for us, in my opinion. Mitchell would've taken a RS year, rehabbed the knee, and then fought for a starting position. Now, we're back to targeting two TEs again.

Due to an academic hold up, Mitchell will be looking elsewhere.

Big blow for us, in my opinion. Mitchell would've taken a RS year, rehabbed the knee, and then fought for a starting position. Now, we're back to targeting two TEs again.

Why would he be looking else where when he can't play this year anyway? How is he going to go to another school if he has academic problems?

Why would he be looking else where when he can't play this year anyway? How is he going to go to another school if he has academic problems?

The way I understand it, he could work to get the academic issues in order - and then come to Nebraska. But he wants to get to a 4-year immediately. He wants to start this coming fall, and whatever issue he is having wouldn't get him to Nebraska by then. So, he looking at other options. Quite frankly, I don't really know what the deal is.

The way I understand it, he could work to get the academic issues in order - and then come to Nebraska. But he wants to get to a 4-year immediately. He wants to start this coming fall, and whatever issue he is having wouldn't get him to Nebraska by then. So, he looking at other options. Quite frankly, I don't really know what the deal is.
Yep, I think you got it BTBR.

I think this is probally best for both sides....for all the obvious reasons...

Why? you were high on him even with him sitting out and you thought he and his team mate would be in....now we got neither? Makes no sense if he is sitting out the year whatever school he goes to.

Why? you were high on him even with him sitting out and you thought he and his team mate would be in....now we got neither? Makes no sense if he is sitting out the year whatever school he goes to.

Thing is - With the academic issues, he wouldn't have been able to enroll at NU this coming fall. I would assume there are some medical benefits to being a scholarship player at a D1 school?

Because based on this, he isn't academic eligble at Nebraska for a 2011 scholarship....AND he is interested in getting a scholarship RIGHT NOW for the 2011 class.....if was really interested in Nebraska he could accept a 2012 scholarship once he gets his academics in order....sort of like Heard did who REALLY wanted to come to Nebraska....in Mitchell's case it appears he wants a scholarship wherever he can get one for 2011....perhaps for his medical issue...I don't know....

As you said, he will go elsehwere and sit for a year, while he rehabs from his soon to be ACL surgery, and your right it doesn't make sense at all to me either....which belies what he said earlier in this process, that Nebraska was the place for him and vica-versa either in 2011 or 2012...someone in my opinion, is giving him bad advice....best of luck to him...like I said above probally best for both sides to move on....

There was no room for his teammate in 2011 and he never got an offer from us and just about everyone thought Mitchell would be 'N' as a TE...however, he has chosen to move on because he wants a scholarship NOW....not in 2011....so be it....much different tune than he was talking a month or so ago....

And yes he is a great talent that we could have used....however, there are other TE recruits out there....glad it happened this early in the recruiting cycle that we can now put our empahsis elsewhere...and we will....

Thus my comment 'for obvious reasons'....

Recruiting is a funny business....but you know that already....just look at the Gabberts...

So yeah we get neither....oh well we move on....happens allot....you know that..we will survive this I think....we survived the Gabbert brothers moving on....

Best of luck to him....

Last edited:

The likely plan for Mitchell was to enroll, red shirt, use his red shirt year to rehab, and then have his two years to play. He needs to get in somewhere now so he can use his RS year. Had he waited to enroll, and come in at a later point - I'm sure it would've affected his eligibility timeline. Granted, I'm not exactly sure how it would be affected.

He has already used his RS this past season....which is why he would have been a 4-4 guy coming in....he would have had 3 years to play after sitting and rehabing....that is how it would have affected it....

He has used his RS year last season as I pointed out above...he is a 4-4 guy....

So had he waited for the 2012 class he would be a 3-3 guy coming in as sitting next year would have burned a year however, he could have applied for a medical hardship somewhere in the process over the final three years to get back the lost year....and it probally would have been approved in my opinion....as the injury happened in spring practice at Fort Scott this year....

The likely plan for Mitchell was to enroll, red shirt, use his red shirt year to rehab, and then have his two years to play. He needs to get in somewhere now so he can use his RS year. Had he waited to enroll, and come in at a later point - I'm sure it would've affected his eligibility timeline. Granted, I'm not exactly sure how it would be affected.

Last edited:
The way I see it; Whatever is best for him is best for Nebraska. The two have to be committed hand in hand.

I have been a bit concerned about his rehab on his knee. You never know how these things go.

None the less. Good luck to him!

Agree....

The way I see it; Whatever is best for him is best for Nebraska. The two have to be committed hand in hand.

I have been a bit concerned about his rehab on his knee. You never know how these things go.

None the less. Good luck to him!

He has already used his RS this past season....which is why he would have been a 4-4 guy coming in....he would have had 3 years to play after sitting and rehabing....that is how it would have affected it....

He has used his RS year last season as I pointed out above...he is a 4-4 guy....

So had he waited for the 2012 class he would be a 3-3 guy coming in as sitting next year would have burned a year however, he could have applied for a medical hardship somewhere in the process over the final three years to get back the lost year....and it probally would have been approved in my opinion....as the injury happened in spring practice at Fort Scott this year....

My mistake, for what ever reason I was thinking he was a 3-2 guy.

No biggie...:)....a rare 4-4 guy who did the prep school thing his first year....like Jean-Baptiste, who went the prep school route, and ended up as a 4-4 guy too....who used his RS year and neither played a down at the JUCO level....

My mistake, for what ever reason I was thinking he was a 3-2 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back