• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Taylor looking to RS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever is going to be 4th string is wasting a year that could be saved IMO. Plus as another poster mentioned, with King Frazier looking solid, we don't need both anyway

Another thing to point out, we don't lose any of our top backs after this season either. Ameer is the "old guy" as a Junior....:nod:

I mentioned a few days ago that the staff wanted to redshirt either Newby or Taylor. It just makes more since to RS Taylor. Newby is in the mold of Ameer, whereas Taylor is in the mold of Cross. Ameer is a Jr. and Cross is a So. It makes more sense to get Newby the experience now and RS Taylor if possible.

Last edited:
In my expert opinion, red-shirting will get AT more carries for his career, and potentially help the team more in this particular set of circumstances.

I mentioned a few days ago that the staff wanted to redshirt either Newby or Taylor. It just makes more since to RS Taylor. Newby is in the mold of Ameer, whereas Taylor is in the mold of Cross. Ameer is a Jr. and Cross is a So. It makes more sense to get Newby the experience now and RS Taylor if possible.

Pretty sure Ameer is a Jr. and Cross is a Soph.

EDIT: You must have edited your post right as I said mine :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I don't think putting distance between him and Cross is as big a factor as many are making it out to be. AT's decision to redshirt or not has more to do with his abilities and talents and how comfortable he is being able to execute the things that he is being asked to do on the field. I highly doubt the coaches are looking at Newby and saying "you play like Ameer so we are going to play you since he will leave sooner" then turning to Taylor saying "you play like Cross, so we should sit you so the two of you have a year between you".......

C'mon someone has to call B.S. on that logic. Bo told his recruits and team to come in expecting to compete. The best man wins the job. Not the best man who doesn't resemble someone else on the team's abilities. What happens next year if he was to redshirt this year. Snaps are not distributed based on you year of eligibility. It's based on your ability to perform.

If Ameer/Newby/Cross are the top 3 guys and Taylor is 4th on the chart, it's because he didn't beat out those guys, thus you should redshirt him so that he can develop and take someones spot the following year without wasting a year seeing the ball about as often as the FB will get a carry. He's too talented to waste a year doing that.

It's not like we aren't going to continue to recruit his position. Larenzo Stewart (2014 commit) is a speedy back with good vision. Even if we have guys at a position leaving out the same year, if you are recruiting the position right, you reload.

The guys are young. Plenty of time for them to make their mark in Husker history if they have the ability to do so

Last edited:
I don't think putting distance between him and Cross is as big a factor as many are making it out to be. AT's decision to redshirt or not has more to do with his abilities and talents and how comfortable he is being able to execute the things that he is being asked to do on the field. I highly doubt the coaches are looking at Newby and saying "you play like Ameer so we are going to play you since he will leave sooner" then turning to Taylor saying "you play like Cross, so we should sit you so the two of you have a year between you".......

I can only speak of what I was told. Don't take away something from my comments that aren't there.

Of course that wouldn't be the only factor, but I was told it is a factor (it being the styles of the 4 backs.) AT and Newby have been running neck and neck for much of the camp. At the same time, Cross has stepped up (mainly his blocking) and has the coaches more confident than they were. Ameer will need a breather and lighter workload. Instead of having Cross and AT (similar styles) come in to provide that, the staff prefers to have Cross and Newby taking part of the load.

But yes, some also has to do with AT. He can greatly improve himself by adding leg strength. A RS year would be perfect for that (if he redshirts.)

I am NOT saying that AT is ahead of Newby and that he may be redshirted because of his style. I am saying that the two RBs have been neck and neck throughout the camp, and if they remain that way, and the staff wants to RS one of them, it makes more sense to redshirt AT.

Last edited:

I also seem to recall that Aaron Green was given the option to redshirt and turned it down, but my memory may be faulty.

My point at the time was based on history we rarely redshirt a running back not that we would not.

I can only speak of what I was told. Don't take away something from my comments that aren't there.

Of course that wouldn't be the only factor, but I was told it is a factor (it being the styles of the 4 backs.) AT and Newby have been running neck and neck for much of the camp. At the same time, Cross has stepped up (mainly his blocking) and has the coaches more confident than they were. Ameer will need a breather and lighter workload. Instead of having Cross and AT (similar styles) come in to provide that, the staff prefers to have Cross and Newby taking part of the load.

But yes, some also has to do with AT. He can greatly improve himself by adding leg strength. A RS year would be perfect for that (if he redshirts.)

I am NOT saying that AT is ahead of Newby and that he may be redshirted because of his style. I am saying that the two RBs have been neck and neck throughout the camp, and if they remain that way, and the staff wants to RS one of them, it makes more sense to redshirt AT.

I don't want to sound like I'm lashing out at you, it's just that I hear that reasoning so much, it becomes a cliche and then people run with it.

Obviously playing styles factor in to how and when you will utilize any particular player. Ameer's work load can be lightened regardless of the style his back up possesses. As long as they are effective at what they are doing. As far as him adding leg strength, I've heard that a time or two since camp started which makes sense due to the fact that a player isn't able to build stamina and/or strength like they would like to or normally do while they are coming off of an injury. This is one of the reasons I was excited to hear that he (& T.Armstrong/J.Stanton) were all working out in camp, but apparently some things still need to take time.

I don't necessarily disagree with trying to have some space between your backs to keep from droughts occurring at the position, but I think some take that option with a bit more weight that it actually has. AT had a great camp as well as Newby. Recently I had been hearing that Newby was making certain strides that AT wasn't making as of yet, which is when we heard Newby being projected as the #2 back. If distance in eligibility was a high priority, that would have been expressed to the player before signing day and most likely, and this is a bit of a stretch on my end, could have effected B.Heard's decision. But the coaching staff wants these young guys to come in and compete. Those that don't make it in the top spots, it's only smart for them to consider a redshirt only to be pull in case of need.

Obviously playing styles factor in to how and when you will utilize any particular player.

And that is my point.

I posted what I was being told about the staff wanting to RS one of the backs before this news came out. Typically, RBs aren't redshirted, but it make sense to RS one of these backs. And unless AT separates himself from Newby (which he has not), it makes more sense to redshirt him.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, Aaron Green was listed as #3 on TCU's Post-Spring Depth Chart but there was an "OR" between #1 and #2 and an another "OR" between #2 and Green. We'll see if he gets any carries this coming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back