• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Take a Hike!

How long of a trek are you taking RDR? With all the side hikes added in I went well over 120 miles in 9 days if I remember correctly. I've still got a piece of an aircraft from a crash on Mount Baldy that I took as a souvenir.

Hey! You weren't supposed to do that, were you? ;)

The boys selected a 'shooting trek' -- Less miles with more program, with emphasis on shooting sports. 11 days, around 70-80 of trail miles i think (not counting side hikes), with a different program area at the end of every day: shotgun, muzzle-loading rifles, .30-06, climbing/rappelling, horseback riding, etc.

we'll be visting the bomber crash site also.

Last edited:

The boys selected a 'shooting trek' -- Less miles with more program, with emphasis on shooting sports. 11 days, around 70-80 of trail miles i think (not counting side hikes), with a different program area at the end of every day: shotgun, muzzle-loading rifles, .30-06, climbing/rappelling, horseback riding, etc.

Yea, they said not to remove anything from the site but I was hiking around and decided to climb a tree to see the surrounding area better and found a piece imbedded into the tree.... took out my handy BS knife and "liberated' it.... then I didn't know where to put it so I stuck it in my pocket. It's about 4 inches across and was one of my "cooler" pieces of childhood memorabilia. Shooting treks weren't available back in my days, I remember the most exciting part of the trek was when we made it into base camp "Bobien" and they had a shower complete with a wood burning stove for hot water. We split wood and stoked that thing for an hour but man was it worth it... washed away about 8 days of little boy stink... it was glorious!

Saturday I leave for New Mexico for 2 weeks to go backpacking with my son. The peak we'll be climbing is Mt. Philips (11.7k). I hope my knee holds out, or my kids will be playing that Life of Brian video sooner than planned. I'm going to wear the horsehead mask to scare away bears. Sure glad Sports Authority is going out of business; I got a good deal on socks and a rainsuit.

Good for you. Memories like that with your son will last a lifetime.

Have you tried canyoneering? You hike down with the most weight, and come out lighter. My favorite hike is Grand Gulch in SE Utah. Amazing geology and archaeology surround you and you see few others down there.

My favorite 14er is Mt. Evans. You drive up most of the way and then hike the last 150 feet.
That is hilarious...... LOL.... in some recent thread about what were peoples summer plans, mine was hiking a thousand miles. This being July already, I may not make it, it depends on when the first snow falls here. But, I have almost 400 miles in this year so far. A good friend of mine, she went to visit her son in Denver, and in about a weeks time, she logged 75 miles, she was super excited. I have 383 miles hiked so far, but I want to get at least 600 before October, if not the full 1,000.

I'm somewhat jealous..... sounds like a lot of fun..... have a Great trip....

Sounds like a good trip. I spent many, many weeks and weekends in the Colorado and Wyoming high country as a youngster. I keep trying to talk myself into hiking the Appalachian Trail, but work gets in the way. Enjoy the trip.

Just came off trail yesterday. Rolled both ankles, knee sore, blisters on heel, but was not bear fodder.

Headed home now, but had to make a quick stop in Denver first...
tmp_11488-20160715_1332501344892833.jpg

Last edited:

I am happy to say that, with the hike we took this past Thursday, I have broke the 500 mile barrier. I am now clocked in over 512 miles this year so far. My goal was 1,000 miles hiked before the first snow, not sure I will make that, but if it doesn't snow until late October or early December, I have a better than average to reach my goal.

I am happy to say that, with the hike we took this past Thursday, I have broke the 500 mile barrier. I am now clocked in over 512 miles this year so far. My goal was 1,000 miles hiked before the first snow, not sure I will make that, but if it doesn't snow until late October or early December, I have a better than average to reach my goal.

I never logged the mileage, but I think I came close back in 1983. Major walkabout year that year. Hit almost 30 high mountain lakes in Colorado and spent a fair amount of time in Yellowstone as well. Good luck Sauce.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back