• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Strong words on Frost from Severe

I had heard from several close to the program of a lot of things going on that shouldn't have been, and for a long time. I'll just leave it at that. Time to move on. I will say this, however: I think Solich, Pelini, Callahan, and Riley took their job as HC very serious, and had high expectations of the conduct of themselves and their staffs.

Last edited:
You know what pisses me off? Media that covers Nebraska football that comes out AFTER the deal goes down, reporting on this garbage, that they apparently knew about in real time.

Do us all a favor. Reporting on it at the time, or STFU. You're as big a clown as the fired coach, because you're halfassing your job, as well
Could've maybe shaved off a couple of bad years if the truth had been dealt with. Is this another oversight mistake under Moos. Trev probably couldn't jump on it right away... he's just finished his first yr.

Which do you care more about, access or the U of N? You can always regain access with the next coach.
You lose access to your contacts as well when you burn them by revealing info.

I'm guessing as well that it's hard to confirm what you hear, even when it's from people you trust. Hard to run with that in a paper when you know you'll be cut off AND no one will confirm what you've reported.

There are Nebraska reporters/journalists who have a certain amount of status/gravitas. If the issues/concerns were verified and legitimate, they could have taken that information to others (off the record, if necessary) for comment or as a warning.

There is a difference between making an ill advised cartoon and reporting sourced news, though. The Nebraska media certainly has their fair share of people who are willing to write negative things. Even still, at some point that could have gotten into the hands of someone national who wouldn't care about access.

There was definitely something culturally wrong, the question is what was it specifically and how bad was it. If your coach is showing up late to every practice and flaking on doing recruiting, that's really bad.

Your first sentence mentions the problem in reporting stuff like this; sources. Nobody is going to go on the record about this stuff while the head coach still has a job. Any player, assistant coach, trainer, manager, etc. would be cutting off their nose despite their face. Going on the record with "behind the scenes stuff" can actually harm somebody's future career prospects, especially when something on the Internet never disappears once it's out there.

Again, I don't think this is unique to Nebraska or even the Scott Frost "era." How much of the stuff that, allegedly, went on under Mike Riley was reported at the time it happened, and how much just trickled out via leaks, etc. after he was fired?

Oh, I'll also mention that none of the serious journalists in Nebraska have ever written a word about what happened between a former women's basketball player and a former assistant coach last season. Nor have they ever written about why Sanders was fired.

Last edited:
In addition to the issue of the Athletic Department controlling access, the other issue is one of sources. Nobody is going to go on the record about Scott Frost while he's still the head coach. Journalism is much different now than it was 5-10 years ago, but IMO most media outlets aren't going to publish a story that is entirely based on unnamed sources.

If an assistant coach were to have gone on the record, they'd have essentially blown up the program (and likely been fired one second after Frost/Alberts learned they'd talked on the record.)
Maybe not NU sports journalists, but... I'm sure there are some dudes in Hot Topics who would disagree with your assessment.

Could've maybe shaved off a couple of bad years if the truth had been dealt with. Is this another oversight mistake under Moos. Trev probably couldn't jump on it right away... he's just finished his first yr.

There were issues that were beyond "oversight". More like babysitting. Time to move on.

Reactions: Fly
they lose their access... that is why Benning is always so cryptic
It's like my buddy, after I divorce my wife, telling me she's been cheating on me all along. Thanks for the heads up pal. I appreciate you not telling me before. I realize you liked coming to my house for Thanksgiving because she made a killer pecan pie. I'm so sorry you'll hafta give that up now.

Edit
This did not actually happen to me, so no, I cant get the pie recipe for you.. stop asking

Last edited:

It's like my buddy, after I divorce my wife, telling me she's been cheating on me all along. Thanks for the heads up pal. I appreciate you not telling me before. I realize you liked coming to my house for Thanksgiving because she made a killer pecan pie. I'm so sorry you'll hafta give that up now.
That sucks!

@LazyB, GITT immediately and explain yourself.

Take it for whatever it's worth. I have no reason to doubt Severe and if true this could be a big reason why the teams didn't succeed. Either way, I'm glad a change was made and I hope the athletes finally get to experience success.

All of these talking heads are outing themselves. They poke poke poke and get their "insider" info and then beat around the bush, speak in riddles, and hide the truth out of fear of losing their access. If you didn't have the pills to tell the whole truth 3 days ago, SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back