• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stephen King: The Dark Tower/Gunslinger

KingTM

All Big 10
5 Year Member
Any fans of this series, here? I looked forward to every new book as soon as I finished its predecessor. Not sure how I missed this but they're making a movie. Idris Elba is cast as Roland and I'll watch anything he's in, I became a big fan of his when he was on "The Wire." Anyway, the movie is due out next year and I'm pretty stoked to see where it goes. Having said that, most of his books turned movies (at least the made for tv ones), pretty much suck. Here's to hoping this one bucks that trend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/

I have "The Wind Through the Keyhole" (the 8th of 8 in the series) sitting on an end table at the house but I need to get into it. He wrote it a long time after the 7th book in the series and I didn't even realize it was out until I came across it at Barnes and Noble.

That's a series I should probably read. Looks very cool.

A lot of Kings books, like it and the stand, are so long I think they'd be better as TV series (like game of thrones).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished 11/22/63. It was really good. I've thought about reading the Dark Tower series but have never pulled the trigger on it.

Wait . . . are you that King?!?

LOL, I'd like to have his stack of cash.

That's a series I should probably read. Looks very cool.

A lot of Kings books, like it and the stand, are so long I think they'd be better as TV series (like game of thrones).

It really is a fascinating series. I was skeptical but damned if it didn't suck me in and leave me wanting for more. My favorite book of his was The Stand. I agree it was a long read but I feel that it was his best work.

Just finished 11/22/63. It was really good. I've thought about reading the Dark Tower series but have never pulled the trigger on it.

No pun intended? ;) Give it a go, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. This thread has also served as a reminder that a friend of mine "borrowed" the series from me a few years ago. I need to go get that back...

Last edited:
I got through the Wastelands and started the next one but it couldn't keep my attention and I gave up. All the books up til then were very good, someday I may try again but I think I would have to start the series over from the beginning.

=It really is a fascinating series. I was skeptical but damned if it didn't suck me in and leave me wanting for more. My favorite book of his was The Stand. I agree it was a long read but I feel that it was his best work.
I love The Stand. For me, it's a toss up between The Stand and It. I should read The Dark Tower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Read them all....twice. In fact, I've started the third trip through the series.

Unique combination between his odd ball character development and what basically amounts to a rambling western just caught my attention. In my opinion, his best job at making you interested in what a group of characters is doing by a long shot.

I'm interested in the movie version of the Gunslinger, and like most of Idris Alba's work, but he's not who I'd have picked for Roland. I'll be interested in how King reconciles the racial aspect of Roland's relationship with Detta. That was a fairly strong part of the series after the Drawing.

I read the series. I thought it was strong but lost its way toward the end.

I would definitely see the movie

I hated that series. About 1/2 way through the Wastelands I gave up and realized I wasted my time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back