• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Stephen King: The Dark Tower/Gunslinger

OK, time to talk turkey.

Idris Alba is officially Roland Deschain. King, you know the racial piece of this isn't a 'throw away' in the series. I've thought about this long and hard and have a hard time figuring out how the write it out or switch it to Roland being black and maybe Detta/Odetta/Susanna being white...??? Not the same dynamic form a long shot, but I'm still interested in it.

Any fans of this series, here? I looked forward to every new book as soon as I finished its predecessor. Not sure how I missed this but they're making a movie. Idris Elba is cast as Roland and I'll watch anything he's in, I became a big fan of his when he was on "The Wire." Anyway, the movie is due out next year and I'm pretty stoked to see where it goes. Having said that, most of his books turned movies (at least the made for tv ones), pretty much suck. Here's to hoping this one bucks that trend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/

I have "The Wind Through the Keyhole" (the 8th of 8 in the series) sitting on an end table at the house but I need to get into it. He wrote it a long time after the 7th book in the series and I didn't even realize it was out until I came across it at Barnes and Noble.

LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!!!!!!

How owe are they making just ONE movie? Or are they just testing the waters to see if the rest will fly?

OK, time to talk turkey.

Idris Alba is officially Roland Deschain. King, you know the racial piece of this isn't a 'throw away' in the series. I've thought about this long and hard and have a hard time figuring out how the write it out or switch it to Roland being black and maybe Detta/Odetta/Susanna being white...??? Not the same dynamic form a long shot, but I'm still interested in it.
Good points. The whole Detta dynamic changes significantly.

I got through the Wastelands and started the next one but it couldn't keep my attention and I gave up. All the books up til then were very good, someday I may try again but I think I would have to start the series over from the beginning.

I made it to page 64 of the third book and gave up. The writing really caused me to lose interest as the books went on. I may try again someday, but I tend to only read historical non-fiction books now.

OK, time to talk turkey.

That is a really, really good question and the first one that I had once I learned of this movie. They'll have to cast Detta as a white woman, right? I agree that this changes everything but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

LOVE THESE BOOKS!!!!!!!!

How owe are they making just ONE movie? Or are they just testing the waters to see if the rest will fly?

I agree, this simply can't be done in one movie. This article explains that this may be a series; http://screenrant.com/dark-tower-movie-idris-elba-image-father/

Creating a sequel of sorts instead of a direct adaption would explain the reported changes to the film’s story. However, King could be playing with Dark Tower fans as well. At this point, it’s unclear exactly which aspects of the overall story will enter into the likely first of many films, especially since King has admitted the first picture will start at both the beginning and middle of the saga. Assuming Arcel and the writers maintain the tone and story, it will be thrilling to see how the saga unfolds.

That is a really, really good question and the first one that I had once I learned of this movie. They'll have to cast Detta as a white woman, right? I agree that this changes everything but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That's why it doesn't work for me. Detta can't be white. It screws with the storyline and the racial tension between the two and the relationship between Eddie and Detta isn't as unusual given 'when' she was from. There was a very pronounced distrust between black women when it came to white men in her 'when' and it wasn't the same for white women. Totally different dynamic. I don't know who's idea it was, but to me it's a huge cop out. It's almost like King didn't want to go there with the movie even though he had the stones to go there in the books.

That's why it doesn't work for me. Detta can't be white. It screws with the storyline and the racial tension between the two and the relationship between Eddie and Detta isn't as unusual given 'when' she was from. There was a very pronounced distrust between black women when it came to white men in her 'when' and it wasn't the same for white women. Totally different dynamic. I don't know who's idea it was, but to me it's a huge cop out. It's almost like King didn't want to go there with the movie even though he had the stones to go there in the books.
Wait a minute! Aren't "CrabHuskers" the things on the beach mumbling questions like "Dad a chum?"

Agreed. The racial aspect and time frame(s) played a large part in the plot. I really don't know, man. I haven't checked, is King writing the screenplay?

Last edited:

Agreed. The racial aspect and time frame(s) played a large part in the plot. I really don't know, man. I haven't checked, is King writing the screenplay?

With Ron Howard on board I tend to be optimistic about the movie. Yes King is ONE of the writers listed.

Sorry that's not correct as far as the screenplay goes. He is not listed as a writer for the screenplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Ron Howard on board I tend to be optimistic about the movie. Yes King is ONE of the writers listed.

Sorry that's not correct as far as the screenplay goes. He is not listed as a writer for the screenplay.

Thanks.

Wait a minute! Aren't "CrabHuskers" the things on the beach mumbling questions like "Dad a chum?"

Crabstrocities. Totally different critters.

I've been known to mumble 'David Humm......Chuck Malito' before, but it's not exactly the same deal.

We'll have to see. If they manage to screw it up I'll drive to Maine and kick his ass.

Howard will make sure there is a professional effort made in the production of the movie, but I'm not a huge fan of his work....post Opie.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back