• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Starts at the Top

When the staff changes were announced I was all for that. But seeing us lose two more games with the same bonehead mistakes has me rethinking. Trev made the right decision from a financial position but not sure not firing SF now wont cost us more in the long run. Recruiting will be a disaster the next couple years and we could lose several to the portal. Plus I do not see Scott letting anyone have complete control of the offense.
I think we have to let this play out. Trev is cleaning up some Moos poop.

It's now time for Trev to earn his money.

Thank goodness we have yet another bitch and moan post…it was getting too rainbows and unicorns in here.

Maybe the Negatives Nancy folks can explain why some felt the coaching dismissals were a step in the right direction. However, the fact that we are still seeing similar results the last 2 weeks WITHOUT actually having replacements hired or working with the players, is now a horrible sign, I’m curious as to what you all expected?

Does anyone remember how much we thought the defense would take years to become the Blackshirts again after Bohl? Yet Pelini changed attitudes almost immediately. And the Solich offense of QB run left, right and up the middle changed dramatically the first year with a new Coordinator. Can we just have a tiny bit of patience to see if the changes can have an impact?
are you kidding. Husker fans have more patience than a VA hospital. At this point it seems the strategy for the past 10 years or so has been, "Well, lets try this and see if it works".

Frost is in over his head. He gets out coached every single week. With the athletes he had he should have been in the mix for a Conference Championship. It just took a wholesome approach. Paying attention to details like...ohhh...special teams.

And if Smothers is NOT the starter next year he will leave and we will be back to square one. Adrian Martinez puts up numbers except the one that counts. I really hope I open up this site next week one day and read where he has decided to move on. Smothers is the future if Frost can keep him. But Frost has too much of a love affair going with AM and it has hurt the bottom line.

Frost is who he is. One more year won’t magically turn him into a better HC. Riley was a 53% winning percentage coach when we hired him - he won basically 50% of his games here. 4 years is more than a trend - Frost would have to have the biggest epiphany ever to become a top tier FBS HC. Will be the “same old movie” next year until Alberts makes a change. Good news is he made the buyout go down mid season - that was because if things aren’t turning around by then he can have several weeks to find a new HC before signing day. But it’s also why we won’t get a decent OC - you are only signing on for potentially 7 games.

The TO notion came from the UCF days. I don’t think he’s kept the same style as he’s learned more about the B1G and adapted to it. Of course we needed to take advantage of those potential INTs, but it’s not like we had guys getting beat all over the field, we had people in position to make plays on balls.
This is part of the problem we've had. Not that he's learned more about the BIG, but that it's been "on the job training" and it hasn't gone well. Next year is get it done or get gone. Hopefully the new full time position coaches instill some mental toughness in the team. That (along with pathetic special teams) has cost us games this year - something goes wrong and the team looks like they expect to lose. That starts at the top too.

This is part of the problem we've had. Not that he's learned more about the BIG, but that it's been "on the job training" and it hasn't gone well. Next year is get it done or get gone. Hopefully the new full time position coaches instill some mental toughness in the team. That (along with pathetic special teams) has cost us games this year - something goes wrong and the team looks like they expect to lose. That starts at the top too.
I know some thought this staff would just dive in and find similar success as they had at UCF, but there were others who said it was young, inexperienced, and would need time to develop and learn how to play in the B1G. For the record, I was NOT one of the smart guys, but as we made our way through years 1 and 2, it looked like it actually would be a learning process. I’ve liked some of what I’ve seen, and expect more this winter and into the spring. Next year is going to be the final step to having a B1G level of talent from a player and staff standpoint IMO. Let’s see what we do.

It's been 20 years bud. Trust me. Expectations were reset a long time ago.
You mean 20 years ago when we were winning 9-10 games per year and playing in championship games and Husker fans thought they needed to fire the staff?

In reality, it’s been 7 football seasons that the program has been struggling.

In the end, it’s a good thing because fans now may begin respecting he game and the competition again. A monkey cannot win 9-10 wins, as was previously believed by many.

It will take at least 4 years for us to lose our identity of choking and losing. One bad play and everybody from the head coach on down craps their pants — while we still have a lead. SF is a cancer that will takes years to cure and get out of our system.
Wait a minute! I thought any new staff could fix a program within 2 years max, no matter what condition the program was in. Are you suggesting that a new coaching staff hire if it happens next year will need 5-6 or more years to turn the program around?

Wait a minute! I thought any new staff could fix a program within 2 years max, no matter what condition the program was in. Are you suggesting that a new coaching staff hire if it happens next year will need 5-6 or more years to turn the program around?
Depends on the situation. If they get a relatively intact roster and are only mildly ingrained with a habit of losing it can be turned around easily. Our next coach will inherit few players and possibly the most mentally fragile roster in the history of college football.

Depends on the situation. If they get a relatively intact roster and are only mildly ingrained with a habit of losing it can be turned around easily. Our next coach will inherit few players and possibly the most mentally fragile roster in the history of college football.
:rolleyes:

Maybe they match some of their fan base, the part of the fan base that makes grand dramatic statements about how terrible it is and how the program will be forever damaged and nothing good can ever happen again in the future. Geez. Come on people, get a grip!

If this team was as fragile as you say, the would have given up early on in the season. Instead, they came out and clawed themselves into every game. Have a little appreciation and respect for the effort these kids have put in.

I know this has been a tough season, but let’s try to keep a little perspective here. Let’s wait until the new staff positions to be filled before the fan base shows how fragile they are.

If you had a turd in the toilet would you? (A) flush it down (B) remove the water but leave the turd (C) remove the turd but leave the water.

Trev choose B
Well, maybe Trev just doesn’t have all the information or the wisdom you possess. Perhaps if you could have posted this analogy a few weeks ago, things would be different.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back