• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Stafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldRedWood

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
I just re-watched the game and it looks like he has elevated his play a couple of notches. He's playing like a young Ronnie Lott. When those receivers come across the middle, he punishes them. He's flying around the field on search and destroy. Gonna be hard to replace this blackshirt.

I'm more worried about replacing PJ Smith.

Stafford too often looks for the big hit and ends up missing the tackle. He also has a knack for committing penalties.

Could not agree more has had a heckuva season and finishing strong....go to the stats thread posted by HIO and he trails only Compton.....on individual defense:

http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?41157-Season-Stats-thru-11-Games

I just re-watched the game and it looks like he has elevated his play a couple of notches. He's playing like a young Ronnie Lott. When those receivers come across the middle, he punishes them. He's flying around the field on search and destroy. Gonna be hard to replace this blackshirt.

Last edited:
I'm more worried about replacing PJ Smith.

Stafford too often looks for the big hit and ends up missing the tackle. He also has a knack for committing penalties.

His "late hit out of bounds," was borderline, and within a split second. In this game, he looked, to me, awesome. He seemed to be in or around the play all the time and no one got by him.

His "late hit out of bounds," was borderline, and within a split second. In this game, he looked, to me, awesome. He seemed to be in or around the play all the time and no one got by him.

I would agree. I would question why the defense is so complicated, that it takes a JUCO 1 3/4 yrs to get a command of the system.

Complicated offense is what did BC in, so I wonder why it's OK to have a complicated defense.

Can't argue with success, but I'm just wondering. :stirthepot:

The Huskers will have some big holes to fill on defense next year.

Eric Martin
Baker Stienkuhler
Cam Meredith
Sean Fischer
Alfonzo Whaley
Will Compton
PJ Smith
Damion Stafford
Courtney Osborne
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Eric Martin
Baker Stienkuhler
Cam Meredith
Sean Fischer
Alfonzo Whaley
Will Compton
PJ Smith
Damion Stafford
Courtney Osborne
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yikes. That is a load of experience to make up for next year. Good thing most of our offense are underclassmen.

I would agree. I would question why the defense is so complicated, that it takes a JUCO 1 3/4 yrs to get a command of the system.

Complicated offense is what did BC in, so I wonder why it's OK to have a complicated defense.

Can't argue with success, but I'm just wondering. :stirthepot:

He's just one man. For every Stafford who comes in and takes "1 3/4" years to get it, there's a L.David that comes in and makes it happen out the gate.

Complicated defenses/offenses are preferred because once your players get the system, no one can stop them from doing anything. Look at the offense we currently have verses what we did or was trying to do last season. You can simplify things to adapt to the personal and maturity, but once you have a unit that knows what his job is, they are hard to plan against. Same with the defense. I look at Pelini's defense in 08 vs his 09/10 units. The Big XII, during those 3 seasons, some of the most high powered offenses in the country and NU was able to made heisman candidates look like true freshman back ups.

BC knew what he was doing but for some reason couldn't develop high schoolers and JUCOs to the point they could carry out his schemes.
BP isn't having that problem. When he has the talent in front of him, he can get that player to excel on the field. (Suh, Hagg, Gomes, Dennard, Amukumara, David, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back