• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Speculation: North Carolina and who is the 16th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheBallGuy

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Well, as fans we have hated the latest round of expansion, BUT lets talk about the next round and dream a little.

I think a lot of people have felt that taking Maryland was a good way to get eyeballs but also destabilized the ACC a bit.

Delaney, with his strong North Carolina ties wants North Carolina; and I can't say I blame him. 10 million more eyeballs, a good basketball fit and a STRONG presence in the Southeast.

So if North Carolina is #15 who is number 16?

I would say the logical choices are:

Ga Tech: We know the B1G likes the program and wants Atlanta. It would help with football recruiting too!

FSU: We know they are not happy in the ACC and they are a football school in a basketball conference. They are a stretch geographically, but not much more than Ga Tech. Personally I would LOVE this. Great addition for football and helps the conference recruit Florida. Plus there a are a lot of eyeballs in Florida.

Notre Dame: This might be the white whale the B1G could never land. They make sense geographically and to a some extend academically and culturally. Plus they bring a ridiculous amount of eyeballs. It might help the B1G more than it would the Irish.

I would want, in this order: ND, FSU, Ga Tech.

Virginia Tech is a good fit in football and it would keep the conference contiguous, but they wouldn't add many eyeballs.

Well, as fans we have hated the latest round of expansion, BUT lets talk about the next round and dream a little.

I think a lot of people have felt that taking Maryland was a good way to get eyeballs but also destabilized the ACC a bit.

Delaney, with his strong North Carolina ties wants North Carolina; and I can't say I blame him. 10 million more eyeballs, a good basketball fit and a STRONG presence in the Southeast.

So if North Carolina is #15 who is number 16?

I would say the logical choices are:

Ga Tech: We know the B1G likes the program and wants Atlanta. It would help with football recruiting too!

FSU: We know they are not happy in the ACC and they are a football school in a basketball conference. They are a stretch geographically, but not much more than Ga Tech. Personally I would LOVE this. Great addition for football and helps the conference recruit Florida. Plus there a are a lot of eyeballs in Florida.

Notre Dame: This might be the white whale the B1G could never land. They make sense geographically and to a some extend academically and culturally. Plus they bring a ridiculous amount of eyeballs. It might help the B1G more than it would the Irish.

I would want, in this order: ND, FSU, Ga Tech.

Your order is right as GaTech only brings tv sets.

If NC, then why not Duke? They go hand in hand. We know about their solid academics, but they are also a good all-around athletic institution (a frequent top 10 Directors' Cup finisher), just not a good football program.

Last edited:
I don't think Notre Dame is ever going to happen. Especially with their resurgence as a football power. G Tech & Florida State would give a ton of eyeballs plus awesome recruiting. If Delaney liked the #'s for the DC population shift he would love the numbers going on in Florida & Georgia. Either of these two seem to beat out NC in what they could do for the B1G.

I don't think Notre Dame is ever going to happen. Especially with their resurgence as a football power. G Tech & Florida State would give a ton of eyeballs plus awesome recruiting. If Delaney liked the #'s for the DC population shift he would love the numbers going on in Florida & Georgia. Either of these two seem to beat out NC in what they could do for the B1G.

Hard to argue with any of this.

I don't see North Carolina wanting to make this jump being a basketball school in arguably the top basketball conference. Same with Duke. I think it very well could be a last ploy or forcing of the hand to get ND. If the big 4 conferences (Big 10/Big 12/Pac 12/ SEC) go to 16 teams each and thus end up getting the automatic bids in a playoff scenario, ND may very well be left out in the cold if they are still an independent. I would think these 4 conferences are going to try and rule the roost and lock out the smaller conferences for automatic bids. ND isn't going to want to miss out on the action, thus this may be Delaney trying to speed the inevitable of super conferences and forcing ND's hand to join the B1G. This is all about football and TV revenue as that is what pays the bills. Basketball doesn't pay the bills at all but a select few schools.

I don't see North Carolina wanting to make this jump being a basketball school in arguably the top basketball conference. Same with Duke. I think it very well could be a last ploy or forcing of the hand to get ND. If the big 4 conferences (Big 10/Big 12/Pac 12/ SEC) go to 16 teams each and thus end up getting the automatic bids in a playoff scenario, ND may very well be left out in the cold if they are still an independent. I would think these 4 conferences are going to try and rule the roost and lock out the smaller conferences for automatic bids. ND isn't going to want to miss out on the action, thus this may be Delaney trying to speed the inevitable of super conferences and forcing ND's hand to join the B1G. This is all about football and TV revenue as that is what pays the bills. Basketball doesn't pay the bills at all but a select few schools.

A solid post, with one exception: ACC really hasn't been even one of the top three BB conferences for the better part of a decade (Big East, Big 12, Big 10). Duke and NC are annually strong, but not the conference. However, you would be correct to say that the ACC is probably the conference in which basketball is the biggest sport on a fan support basis. BB is king in the ACC. The conference just hasn't been that good at it of late.

Last edited:
A solid post, with one exception: ACC really hasn't been even one of the top three BB conferences for the better part of a decade (Big East, Big 12, Big 10). Duke and NC are annually strong, but not the conference. However, you would be correct to say that the ACC is probably the conference in which basketball is the biggest sport on a fan support basis. BB is king in the ACC. The conference just hasn't been that good at it of late.
I will give you that. I don't follow hoops much. ;)

If NC, then why not Duke? They go hand in hand. We know about their solid academics, but they are also a good all-around athletic institution (a frequent top 10 Directors' Cup finisher), just not a good football program.

Agree. The B1G has enough good football programs already, so why not add a good basketball school with great academics? Especially one that's tied to the hip with UNC.

North Carolina is kind of a long shot. From what I gather, UNC might be package deal with NC State, Duke and Wake Forest.

There might be some wiggle room to split the publics (UNC, NCST) away from the privates (Duke, Wake), but it seems unlikely.

I would go hard after UVA.

Major academic institution. Major historic value. Gives the B1G basically all the old ACC territory all the way to South Carolina.

That would be the cake move for me, unless ND came a calling, or the OU/UT twins wanted in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back