• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Some stat rankings to chew on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the shoe fits. That's JMO. Seems the comments bringing up any love for the prior staff always comes from people who are trying to defend Barney or other staff members and not the detractors. Don't get me wrong, I like that you defend them and that your defenses draw on stats and I think that's cool, the constant interjection of PPO and junk like that though makes it seem like you're the one with the agenda. But I think the Barney questioners are people who are generally concerned about not being able to consistently pick up a 3rd and 1 running, the mental mistakes on the line, and IMO the number of times the RB's have to make a great move in the backfield to pick up positive yards. IMO, it has nothing to do with a "prior staff". They may be wrong and that's fine. Like I said, it's possible for someone to disagree with you on this without being a Callahan/Watson lover (are there really any of those people?) or a Solich hater.

Uhhh, I didn't mention Watson, Callahan, or Solich in my post. I don't know where you got that.:confused:

Uhhh, I didn't mention Watson, Callahan, or Solich in my post. I don't know where you got that.:confused:

If that wasn't your implication with this....

For everyone that thinks we have huge problems with our offense, OC, and offensive staff (other than turnovers) and are pining for days of yore when we could sling the ball around with Joe Ganz in Watson's offense.

then I apologize. The Solich bit was more of a generaliztion as you see that type of stuff on here a lot it seems.

Last edited:
Some other stats to chew on.

3 turnovers (13 total fumbles lost this season so far...leads the nation)
3-14 on third down (0-1 on 4th)
8 penalties...many of them absolutely crucial...yes, some are worse than others.
3 sacks and 6 tackles for loss (USC was talking about 8 yesterday but I only count six on the stat sheet)

These are all drive killing issues and the reason why you rack up 550 yards and win by only 1 point...1 foot. And none of this is new...it's an ongoing issue. The OL has been very good at times. But their breakdowns are so frequent and so predictable and quite often drive killing that you cannot be happy with the offensive line play. The only people that are are people that will never...ever...criticize Barney Cotton. It's not just the "PPO lovers"...it's every commentator out there. OL and DL are constantly brought up as the major issues with this team. So don't take my word for it. Take everyone else's.

Some other stats to chew on.

3 turnovers (13 total fumbles lost this season so far...leads the nation)
3-14 on third down (0-1 on 4th)
8 penalties...many of them absolutely crucial...yes, some are worse than others.
3 sacks and 6 tackles for loss (USC was talking about 8 yesterday but I only count six on the stat sheet)

These are all drive killing issues and the reason why you rack up 550 yards and win by only 1 point...1 foot. And none of this is new...it's an ongoing issue. The OL has been very good at times. But their breakdowns are so frequent and so predictable and quite often drive killing that you cannot be happy with the offensive line play. The only people that are are people that will never...ever...criticize Barney Cotton. It's not just the "PPO lovers"...it's every commentator out there. OL and DL are constantly brought up as the major issues with this team. So don't take my word for it. Take everyone else's.

Well, a week ago we were leading the conference in 4th down conversions, and were 2nd in 3rd down conversions. Even with a rough week in 3rd downs, we are still converting 45%, which puts us 35th nationally. Oregon and Alabama are converting 47% and 46%, respectively.

There are certainly some breakdowns at times in the OL, but not as many as people are wanting to hang on them.

Well, a week ago we were leading the conference in 4th down conversions, and were 2nd in 3rd down conversions. Even with a rough week in 3rd downs, we are still converting 45%, which puts us 35th nationally. Oregon and Alabama are converting 47% and 46%, respectively.

There are certainly some breakdowns at times in the OL, but not as many as people are wanting to hang on them.

I'm more concerned with our short-yardage offense.

It's obvious that we're not traditional power offense. We run best out of the shotgun after spreading the defense out. Yet, on 3rd and 1, we tend to revert to the I-Formation...where we just aren't that good at.

I am a member of the "Barney must go" club. I feel our 6th ranked rushing attack is a bit misleading. I say this because there are very few teams that run the ball anymore. So many spread offenses that use the short passing game as a running game. High percentage completions that pick up a few yards. I have two reasons for wanting a new O line coach.

First, is the lack of recruiting from Barney. He covers Nebraska and handles the walk on program. These are the kids he builds a bond with, so is it any wonder why we seem to have developed so many walk on lineman? I applaud his "doing things the Nebraska way" mentality. It works for that group. Imagine if he hit the road and recruited the 4 and 5 star offensive lineman and built that same relationship with them. Maybe he would picked up on the issues with Tyler Moore earlier and the whole mess could have been avoided. I don't think Tyler or his family handled things the best way, either, but Barney should have been first to know how he was feeling. I realize that Barney went on the road to Memphis last week to visit Christian Morris. Hopefully, we are able to secure his signature on Signing day!!

Second, he has had the position for 5 years. All our other coaches are newer to their position. We should have seen more progress with short yardage blocking and pass protection. Other position coaches have made drastic improvements over what was here under Callahan. I understand there have been injuries and our strength program is questionable when it comes to linemen. Isn't it logical also, that the O line coach would teach blocking for kick and punt returns? We have had some good returns, but most of them are due to the amazing skills of our speed players. I agree the line has been better this year. However, does that credit go to Barney or to Garrison? If it is Garrison teaching fundamental techniques, let him be the man. Maybe it is a combination of both. I just get the feeling that time has passed Barney by.

Just my :2cents:

That thought crossed my mind, but I am not using manipulations of current stats to show a previous HC in a negative light or attempt to trash 40 previous years of NU football in the process. I think you can safely say, based on stats, that this is the best NU offense in a decade. Best WR group, best RB group, probably best TE group also (although there are some issues there). People loke to point at Ganz and the 2008 offense as being better than what we have now, and I don't think data supports it. If you go to 2009-2010...the difference is HUGE.

too much is made of 'anecdotal' observations in the heat of games. You need to step back and look at a bigger picture. We have put up almost 300 ypg rushing and 500 total/game for the season...something we haven't done since we had spread team personnel...and we have the worst staff in the country, according to many. Do we need better OT's/OT play? Yes. Do we need out TE's to block better? Yes.

However, I do NOT understand these repeated calls for Cotton, Beck, TM, et al to be fired/replaced. The results do not support it whatsoever. This offense has undergone a huge transformation in a short time, the QB has improved dramatically, the WR's are in position, catching everything, and blocking well. Beck has struggled at times...mainly being behind the 8-ball, but he is more flexible and creative this season. He found the weak spot in Nw's defense and attacked it repeatedly...they couldn't adjust. Same with Wisconsin.

This offense is effective at darn near everything except holding on to the ball, and that hasn't changed since our last HC, OC, our last RB coach, or our last QB coach, and you will be hard pressed to find an offense better suited to our current conference. Nobody else in the conference has a superior system at this point, including Meyer, who has a really good QB and not gotten his system fully into place yet. (Oh, and he hired the Iowa State OC). Michigan is going to switch to a pro-style offense and that will limit what they can do. I wouldn't trade for any other OC in the conference at this point.

I can point to three deficient areas that seem to be systemic...turnovers/takeaways, penalties, rush defense. The third one is DL/LB recruiting and injuries. I think the past two recruiting classes have addressed the LB issue and our DL class last year was very strong, just not ready yet. We need to repeat that this year and get some JuCo help up front. We are getting some aggressive penalties,and that's ok...better that than the passive play we saw last year on defense. The false starts, etc, were cleaner earlier in the year. How you get an OT not lining up on the ball...make that two different ones in the same game? As an offensive lineman lining up next to a guard that is on the LOS, how do you not line up on the LOS? Is it the OL coach in the booth or on the field that controls that? No...it's the player. Sirles was hitting himself in the head on the sideline...he wasn't blaming Garrison for his mistake.

as far as the other two major issues....I'm starting to be of the opinion that we need to offer Jack Stark a big check to come back. These are mental issues more than anything.

Find me a set of drills, or a 'system', or a shrink, or some other method of controlling turnovers and eliminating penalties that can be applied to the team. It has to be a change in mindset that permeates the team...leadership has improved in the off-season, but more accountability and urgency in controlling the rock is needed. I don't know what you can do when you have two of the best, most trusted offensive players that handle the ball all the time on punt return, one fumbles...you replace him and the 2nd guy fumbles. This is not a problem with the OC, the OL coach or the QB. You wanted accountability for individual mistakes? Right there you got it and it still didn't improve the situation. As a HC, what do you do about that short of go out and catch the punt yourself?

the defensive stats were surprising. Who would have guessed we are that good at sacks and TfL's considering our DL allegedly lines up 5 yards off the ball every play, runs a scheme so complicated no one can figure it out or uses it at any level of football, and we have the worst players in history there? On a side note...did you see how well our DL kept rush lane responsibility against NW and didn't allow big QB scrambles? Injuries aside, Kaz seems to be making some progress there, but it will take another off-season and some new blood developing to rectify. I knew the secondary was the strength of the defense, and the stats show this is the case. Joseph has done a tremendous job turning that group around in less than a year.

Some of these issues are whack-a-mole...you fix one, and another pops up. It seems to be a mental consistency issue that needs to be addressed at an overall team level, rather than a position coach or a coordinator...or even a "talent" issue.

Great post FLAS. I would like to suggest the trolls, bitchers/whiners and agenda toadies that seem to be out in force since the NW WIN print off this post by FLAS and stick it......

I am a member of the "Barney must go" club. I feel our 6th ranked rushing attack is a bit misleading. I say this because there are very few teams that run the ball anymore. So many spread offenses that use the short passing game as a running game. High percentage completions that pick up a few yards. I have two reasons for wanting a new O line coach.

Just some food for thought, Oregon has the 5th ranked rushing attack, Ohio State has the 8th ranked, FSU has the 11th ranked, LSU has teh 15th ranked, and KSU has the 18th ranked. NU slipped down to #10 this week. As far as passing, only TT and FSU are in the BCS top 15 and have a top 20 passing attack in the country.

Disclaimer, those rankings are off straight yards gained on the season, and not yards per game.

Last edited:

Great post FLAS. It really makes you wonder just how good this team could be if they just eliminate the stupid mistakes.

I'll go out on that thin limb and say that our offense production this year is all about our awesome receiving corp...they've made everyone's job easier.

*snap*

but realistically, yes that helps. When WR's are making catches and extending drives, rather than dropping half the passes, it makes a huge difference. Pretty much our entire offense improved from last year...except Rex's knee.

First, is the lack of recruiting from Barney. He covers Nebraska and handles the walk on program. These are the kids he builds a bond with, so is it any wonder why we seem to have developed so many walk on lineman? I applaud his "doing things the Nebraska way" mentality. It works for that group. Imagine if he hit the road and recruited the 4 and 5 star offensive lineman and built that same relationship with them. Maybe he would picked up on the issues with Tyler Moore earlier and the whole mess could have been avoided. I don't think Tyler or his family handled things the best way, either, but Barney should have been first to know how he was feeling. I realize that Barney went on the road to Memphis last week to visit Christian Morris. Hopefully, we are able to secure his signature on Signing day!!

Second, he has had the position for 5 years. All our other coaches are newer to their position. We should have seen more progress with short yardage blocking and pass protection. Other position coaches have made drastic improvements over what was here under Callahan. I understand there have been injuries and our strength program is questionable when it comes to linemen. Isn't it logical also, that the O line coach would teach blocking for kick and punt returns? We have had some good returns, but most of them are due to the amazing skills of our speed players. I agree the line has been better this year. However, does that credit go to Barney or to Garrison? If it is Garrison teaching fundamental techniques, let him be the man. Maybe it is a combination of both. I just get the feeling that time has passed Barney by.

Just my :2cents:

This is the stance I don't get. Two OL coaches, one very experienced and an ex-OC. The other barely out of the GA ranks. One is thought to be incompetent and blamed for any issue, whether it is the OL or not, and the other is somehow solely responsible for all success? This is EXACTLY the kind of crap I expected to hear once we started seeing our OL performance on the rise.

All credit/blame should go equally to both of them....and it's mostly credit at this point. Garrison's line earlier the season is that if you have a problem with Barney, you also have a problem with me.

uhhh, OL coaches don't coach the punt/kick return teams.

the last rumor I saw, not substantiated yet that I know of, is that Tyler Moore is going to be a daddy. Not sure how Barney Cotton could have seen that coming unless he was in Florida trying to set up a franchise.

barney was just out in Kc and memphis during the bye week. He doesn't exclusively recruit Nebraska, and Jamrog is actually in charge of the walk-on program.

Last edited:
This is the stance I don't get. Two OL coaches, one very experienced and an ex-OC. The other barely out of the GA ranks. One is thought to be incompetent and blamed for any issue, whether it is the OL or not, and the other is somehow solely responsible for all success?

All credit/blame should go equally to both of them....and it's mostly credit at this point. Garrison's line earlier the season is that if you have a problem with Barney, you also have a problem with me.

uhhh, OL coaches don't coach the punt/kick return teams.

the last rumor I saw, not substantiated yet that I know of, is that Tyler Moore is going to be a daddy. Not sure how Barney Cotton could have seen that coming unless he was in Florida trying to set up a franchise.

barney was just out in Kc and memphis during the bye week. He doesn't exclusively recruit Nebraska, and Jamrog is actually in charge of the walk-on program.

You're right, they should share the credit and the blame. The line has improved the last two years since Garrison's arrival and they sucked the three years prior to his arrival.

There are 17 statistics listed and if you add up our rankings, they total 717. If you divide 717 by 17, you get an average ranking of 42nd. I think I'd rather spit that out than chew on it...we can do better.

{edit}

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back