• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Solich retires

Was in high school at Holy Name while he was our coach for a couple of years. One day I was delayed for some reason and the crowd was gone. Went scurrying out backside of building by gymnasium and he was standing outside by himself with hands on hips. Nodded at him and continued on. He smiled and said to have a good evening. There was no saving Holy Name, the school was dying. Was happy to hear he landed at NE.

Frank is 76 years old, almost 77. I question the common sense of anyone who seriously wanted to consider Frank for the AD job.
I posted my comment with clearly tongue in cheek. If someone thought that was serious then they need help.

Was in high school at Holy Name while he was our coach for a couple of years. One day I was delayed for some reason and the crowd was gone. Went scurrying out backside of building by gymnasium and he was standing outside by himself with hands on hips. Nodded at him and continued on. He smiled and said to have a good evening. There was no saving Holy Name, the school was dying. Was happy to hear he landed at NE.
I sent you a PM

The guy you quoted must have read what I wrote & thought I was serious. My comment was not directed at you in any way.

Coach Solich was a speaker at a Californians for Nebraska banquet when he was head coach at Nebraska. He signed a few Sports Illustrated covers for me including this one for my Mom. One of my best memorabilia items.

frank-solich-margaret-max.gif
great cover. Loved watching #45 play.

I was a RB in high school and so Frank was my position coach when I went the the Husker FB camp, except the 1st year when it was Crogan. Like Frank, I’m on the short side and every year he would come and chat me up. Like others have said, a great human being and a darned good coach. Not in TO’s league but very few are or were.

Solich's first year with the Huskers came before the 1979 season. His first assignment on Osborne's staff was head freshman coach. In 1979, the young Huskers were 4-1, losing only at Missouri. Solich's 1979 team won its final game, beginning a 24-game winning streak for the freshmen that stretched to 1984. Solich finished his four years as freshman coach with a 19-1 record, before taking over as coach of the running backs in 1983.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back