• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoked brisket

img20230610_195743.jpg

I have always sucked at cooking brisket. How do you like the 1050? I have the 560 and love it. The only downside I have experienced is it is finicky in wind. Hope it turns out good. The only brisket I've ever been successful at was an old square charcoal grill I used snake method of briquettes in. The one and only time brisket has been edible I've ever done. Good luck!
I built a outdoor kitchen/bar, with roof,
So wind and rain is a non issue,
Winter time, the cold is a issue, just takes longer,

Yeah winter outdoor cooking here in WI is an adventure. I was able to smoke turkey breast on Christmas using my 560 but it wasn't below 20 degrees outside. I kinda had no choice as oven had quit working night before. Brisket looks good.....enjoy!

I have a Kamado Joe that I use for smoking. They sell a fan with grill temp and meat probes. It makes long cooks easy and runs off a phone app. I did a 17 lb. brisket a month or so ago - took 18 hrs at 215. The fan app gives you constant feedback and sends alerts if pit temp drops or when meat hits your programmed temp. I do a ton of butts and brisket.

I have a Kamado Joe that I use for smoking. They sell a fan with grill temp and meat probes. It makes long cooks easy and runs off a phone app. I did a 17 lb. brisket a month or so ago - took 18 hrs at 215. The fan app gives you constant feedback and sends alerts if pit temp drops or when meat hits your programmed temp. I do a ton of butts and brisket.
Nice,
The 1050 has a app thing.
I just need to figure it out.
I would rather not have my phone with me.

I don't do briskets very often because I usually suck at it.
Always used the log burner, to hard to maintain temp for 12 hours, I got things to do.

Today I decided to try a brisket in the masterbuilt 1050 smoker,
program it and move on,

I will break down what I did.
In the next few posts,

I'm looking for feed back, suggestions.

Brisket kicks my ass, I can smoke pretty much anything else.

View attachment 97422
This picture is of the 2 briskets just put on in the smoker

I have a love/hate relationship with brisket.

My first smoker, I didn't have any real issues maintaining temp and would have to add wood or lump charcoal maybe once an hour. I'd still have mixed results, delayed stalls, etc, but on the whole I'd say 9 out of 10 would be good with a few of those being really good. Now with the new smoker, crap, I've done one excellent brisket (the first time I used the damned thing) and dozens of mediocre briskets.

I just don't drink enough beer anymore to smoke a good brisket.

Last edited:
I set the cooker at 235 degree,
Ran it till internal temp teached 165. Then wrapped it in aluminum foil.
Spraying Apple juice on it once every hour, before wrapping,

It reached 190 degrees 9 hours into the cook, about 3 hours to soon i think,
I pulled them out, wrapped towels around them.
Let them sit for couple hours,

Hope for the best,
At the moment they are resting,

Another reason I hate my current smoker is I can't really open the smoking chamber to spray the meat without a major flareup. I have to time it with temp drops and adding fuel, which elongates the cook.

I'm going to look into one of these new fangled things like your Masterbuilt.

I think you'll like the masterbuilt, pretty straightforward and easy to use. I regret not buying mine sooner, I was on the fence about it. Now I'm glad I did

Another reason I hate my current smoker is I can't really open the smoking chamber to spray the meat without a major flareup. I have to time it with temp drops and adding fuel, which elongates the cook.

I'm going to look into one of these new fangled things like your Masterbuilt.
I had a Masterbuilt - it was good for "set it and forget it" smoking but never seemed to put enough smoke on the meat for my taste. I have one of those pellet-type smokers now that I've been using. I put an additional smoking chamber on it and it works a little better. For my money though, good brisket/ribs/chicken, etc... just flat out take a little work. Then again, I'm pretty dang far removed from being a pit-master and am probably missing a few of the tricks people use.

I had a Masterbuilt - it was good for "set it and forget it" smoking but never seemed to put enough smoke on the meat for my taste. I have one of those pellet-type smokers now that I've been using. I put an additional smoking chamber on it and it works a little better. For my money though, good brisket/ribs/chicken, etc... just flat out take a little work. Then again, I'm pretty dang far removed from being a pit-master and am probably missing a few of the tricks people use.
Hey I resemble that remark about far from being a pitmaster. I smoke what I and my family like and that's about it.

I leave the fat on when I do it because it keeps the meat moist and it's more flavorful.
I will do that next time,
Might help make the cook longer also,

Can always cut the fat off after the cook,

Last edited:
I like to take the trimmed fat, put it in a loaf pan and place it on the smoker with the brisket. Once it renders down I pour the liquid fat through a cheesecloth and end up with a small mason jar of smoked tallow. Liquid Gold. This is from a brisket I did recently. I used the rendered fat from this batch to flash fry homemade corn tortillas for carne asada tacos.
IMG_2517.jpeg

I like to take the trimmed fat, put it in a loaf pan and place it on the smoker with the brisket. Once it renders down I pour the liquid fat through a cheesecloth and end up with a small mason jar of smoked tallow. Liquid Gold. This is from a brisket I did recently. I used the rendered fat from this batch to flash fry homemade corn tortillas for carne asada tacos.
View attachment 97446
tallow is the briskets best friend, poor that rendered tallow over the brisket when wrapping. will help with moisture problems and loosen up the bark.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back