• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoked brisket

Smoker

Cafe-Bro
10 Year Member
I don't do briskets very often because I usually suck at it.
Always used the log burner, to hard to maintain temp for 12 hours, I got things to do.

Today I decided to try a brisket in the masterbuilt 1050 smoker,
program it and move on,

I will break down what I did.
In the next few posts,

I'm looking for feed back, suggestions.

Brisket kicks my ass, I can smoke pretty much anything else.

img20230610_093437.jpg

This picture is of the 2 briskets just put on in the smoker

img20230610_181039.jpg

First thing i did was trim the hard fat off it.
img20230610_181056.jpg

Also trimmed away that silver skin or tissue, best I could,

img20230610_181115.jpg

I cut the point off exactly against the grain, when its time to slice it, that tells me what direction to cut the slices,,
img20230610_181215.jpg

Finished applying the dry rub

I set the cooker at 235 degree,
Ran it till internal temp teached 165. Then wrapped it in aluminum foil.
Spraying Apple juice on it once every hour, before wrapping,

It reached 190 degrees 9 hours into the cook, about 3 hours to soon i think,
I pulled them out, wrapped towels around them.
Let them sit for couple hours,

Hope for the best,
At the moment they are resting,

Hope for the best,
9 hours isn't unheard of, as long as it reached 190. (I typically pull my brisket off at 195, but that's the "range".) Pellet grill did ok on brisket. Tenderness was good, smoke flavor was lacking and bark was non existing.

I'm going to throw one on my off set when I get back, as it's been a while, but the past several turn3d out good on this smoker.

9 hours isn't unheard of, as long as it reached 190. (I typically pull my brisket off at 195, but that's the "range".) Pellet grill did ok on brisket. Tenderness was good, smoke flavor was lacking and bark was non existing.

I'm going to throw one on my off set when I get back, as it's been a while, but the past several turn3d out good on this smoker.
I always use a smoke tube to help with the, bark, smoke flavors.
Log burner is much better at that

Hope for the best,
Similar to how I do it, but I've always had better results with a log burner. I built my own (which I ended up selling - it was too big) and am in the process of building another one. If this one turns out like the last one, I'll only need to check the temp every couple of hours. Reverse flow smokers are great - they really hold temperatures well.

Similar to how I do it, but I've always had better results with a log burner. I built my own (which I ended up selling - it was too big) and am in the process of building another one. If this one turns out like the last one, I'll only need to check the temp every couple of hours. Reverse flow smokers are great - they really hold temperatures well.
I have always used log burners, I build them and sell them.

I just to hard for to find time to baby sit them all day

Last edited:
I have always sucked at cooking brisket. How do you like the 1050? I have the 560 and love it. The only downside I have experienced is it is finicky in wind. Hope it turns out good. The only brisket I've ever been successful at was an old square charcoal grill I used snake method of briquettes in. The one and only time brisket has been edible I've ever done. Good luck!

I have always sucked at cooking brisket. How do you like the 1050? I have the 560 and love it. The only downside I have experienced is it is finicky in wind. Hope it turns out good. The only brisket I've ever been successful at was an old square charcoal grill I used snake method of briquettes in. The one and only time brisket has been edible I've ever done. Good luck!
Love the 1050

img20230610_195753.jpg

Actually turned out juicy and very tender,
Not much of a smoke ring,

Needs more smoke.
But overall I'm surprised how good it turned out.
I did let it rest for 2 hours

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back