• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked SI's Stewart Mandel says we can get someone better than Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan Husker

Junior Varsity
10 Year Member
You can agree or disagree, but this is the outside opinion of a writer for Sports Illustrated... He also discusses Scott Frost...

The big question regarding coach Bo Pelini and Husker Nation is who out there is better? I would like to throw this wrinkle out and see if it sticks. Oregon has a pretty good team and has an assistant coach who has been working up the ranks. If Oregon makes it to the championship game and looks good, would this coach be looked at? Yes, Scott Frost has had a frosty relationship with Husker Nation, but the guy did win Nebraska's last national championship. -- Collin Lacher, Sioux Falls

Who out there is better? Gosh, where do I start? I give Nebraska fans credit for continuing to support Pelini for as long as they have, but come on. Enough is enough. This is Pelini's sixth year, not his third. He has done some nice things for the program, but his reputation was built on dominant defenses. Nebraska's defense just keeps getting worse. And the Huskers don't do anything particularly unique on offense. Nebraska is not the plum job it was in 1997, but it's still awfully attractive. There is no shortage of innovative coaches out there who would gladly come to Lincoln.

Which brings us to Frost, Nebraska's national championship quarterback in 1997 and Oregon's first-year play-caller (and fifth-year assistant) in 2013. I've been impressed that the Ducks' offense not only hasn't regressed so far post-Chip Kelly, but the play-calling actually seems more imaginative than ever before. It's logical to make the connection and suggest Frost, 38, could come in and have a Kliff Kingsbury-like effect at Nebraska.

But a head coach is responsible for much more than simply calling plays. Kingsbury's suave personality suits him perfectly in his roles as a media representative and program ambassador. Frost, as Collin aptly put it, is quite frosty. I've noticed that he's getting better with the media this year with his increased visibility, but he clearly remains uncomfortable with that part of the job. Still, that might not be enough to negate his credentials.

To this point, it's strange but true that no major program has hired away one of Kelly's former assistants to install the wildly successful Oregon system at another school. That seems like a no-brainer. At Nebraska, where it can be sometimes be difficult to recruit, that offense could be just what the program needs. Heck, it's like a second cousin to Tom Osborne's triple-option.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...miami-college-football-mailbag/#ixzz2jEbdLr51

Last edited:

There are other coaches who would find the Nebraska job attractive? Unpossible!

I think this reflects the media perception across the country. Nebraska fans have been patient, and a change would not be viewed as a delusional fan base chasing the glory years.

Last edited:

To this point, it's strange but true that no major program has hired away one of Kelly's former assistants to install the wildly successful Oregon system at another school. That seems like a no-brainer. At Nebraska, where it can be sometimes be difficult to recruit, that offense could be just what the program needs. Heck, it's like a second cousin to Tom Osborne's triple-option.

I love this part!

Mandel is a voice of reason here. I'm not completely done with Bo yet, but worrying that we can't do better than what he's done so far is foolish. As is, at this point, worrying that we will be perceived as having too high standards if we fire an 8-4 or 9-3 coach. Given what Bo has said about Nebraska fans, outsiders may well believe we only keep him because of abused wife syndrome.

Last edited:

We all know we can, we just don't know who that person is and it is a risk getting the wrong one again...

We all know we can, we just don't know who that person is and it is a risk getting the wrong one again...

I was going to post the exact same thing pretty much.

yes, it's a risk. Hiring a coach always is. Even if it's a guy that EVERYONE thinks is the man they often turn out not to be (i.e. Bo Pelini ;) ).

It's not unlike marriage. Just because the first two turned out to be busts doesn't mean you should NEVER try again (unless you like money).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back