• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Since it looks like the job is JP's

Your thoughts on JP getting promoted.

• Good Hire!!!(Promotion)

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Bo's starting to sink the ship with this one

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 54 57.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ah yes, the "experience chant" :rolleyes:

remember quite well in 2003 how many folks questioned a LB coach who had never been a coordinator being hired as DC...

again following 2007, when cries of nepotism & lack of experience greeted our former DC...

both of those worked out quite well, so whoever the choice is... I've got faith it'll work out, whether it's a big name known commodity, or not.

ah yes, the "experience chant" :rolleyes:

remember quite well in 2003 how many folks questioned a LB coach who had never been a coordinator being hired as DC...

again following 2007, when cries of nepotism & lack of experience greeted our former DC...

both of those worked out quite well, so whoever the choice is... I've got faith it'll work out, whether it's a big name known commodity, or not.

:thumbsup:

What's Pelini's connection to Koennig?

None that I'm aware of, it just is a bit curious to me that if we are throwing out names for DC, we would ignore this guy. I know nothing about him except for what I just read on Wiki.

I know Zook is a sexier name due to alleged recruiting ability, but it's also a huge long shot and a huge salary. Koennig's the interim, but we know he's probably gone from there. I'm definitely not in favor of Zook. He may recruit, but he apparently has the 'loser' gene when it comes to coaching ability.

I know Zook is a sexier name due to alleged recruiting ability, but it's also a huge long shot and a huge salary. Koennig's the interim, but we know he's probably gone from there. I'm definitely not in favor of Zook. He may recruit, but he apparently has the 'loser' gene when it comes to coaching ability.

Illinois record 5 years prior to Zook:
13-45 (.22) with 0 bowl games

Illinois record 5 years with Zook:
27-32 (.46) with 3 bowl games

Last edited:
Bo is the DC of this team. He'll give the title to one of the guys on staff and then hire a young up and coming defensive position coach to replace whoever gets promoted. Hiring someone like Stoops, means Bo would give up control of the defense.

You aren't seriously arguing Zook is a good coach are you?

If you're talking about Head Coach, then no, I'm not and I don't see what gave you that idea.

Do I think, as a coach, he has a "losing gene"? Absolutely not. There isn't any question that he DID improve Illinois from where they were when he took over.

If you're talking about Head Coach, then no, I'm not and I don't see what gave you that idea.

The fact that you posted (inaccurate and misleading) stats in response to FLAS's post above.

Zook was actually 34-51 in seven years at Illinois (not the 27-32 you came up with... not sure where you came up with it).

He produced 2 winning seasons (a 9-4 campaign in '07 and a 7-6 campaign in '10).

Do I think, as a coach, he has a "losing gene"? Absolutely not. There isn't any question that he DID improve Illinois from where they were when he took over.

Before Zook's arrival, Illini were almost as inept... having produced a 35-46 record in the 7 years prior to his arrival, with 2 winning seasons, 2 bowl games and a B10 championship (10-2 2001 campaign).

I don't know what the "losing gene" is exactly, but if anyone has it, Zook does.

I went based on the wikipedia page, it only listed his seasons from '07-11 (although it did mention in the narrative he was hired for the '05 season).

So in his 7 years, he took Illinois to 3 bowl games.
In the 7 years prior to his hire, Illinois went to 2 bowl game.

If you think Zook has this "losing gene", you just may end up pretty disappointed in Bo's hire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Zook

Last edited:

I went based on the wikipedia page, it only listed his seasons from '07-11 (although it did mention in the narrative he was hired for the '05 season).

So in his 7 years, he took Illinois to 3 bowl games.
In the 7 years prior to his hire, Illinois went to 2 bowl game.

If you think Zook has this "losing gene", you just may end up pretty disappointed in Bo's hire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Zook

Yeah, I would be disappointed to be honest, but I would also feel like Bo (obviously) knows what's best for the team.

His wikipage lists the '05 and '06 season in the records box.

Anyway, no, based on most measurables, such as "best season record, best B10 finish, and overall record," he did not leave Illinois better than where they were when he arrived. At best, they are about the same.

Yeah, I would be disappointed to be honest, but I would also feel like Bo (obviously) knows what's best for the team.

His wikipage lists the '05 and '06 season in the records box.

Anyway, no, based on most measurables, such as "best season record, best B10 finish, and overall record," he did not leave Illinois better than where they were when he arrived. At best, they are about the same.

I went to wiki just to get the years he coached there, and they listed '07 to '11, and I made the mistake in going with that. That's not important. His first two years were pretty horrid. But he did get the squad improved from there.

He has experience coordinating defenses and special teams at the highest levels of football. I would hate hiring him as a HC, but I'd absolutely be thrilled to bring him in as an assistant. Great coaching experience + great recruiting ability + familiarity with the B1G and Illinois high school football...

Last edited:

I went to wiki just to get the years he coached there, and they listed '07 to '11, and I made the mistake in going with that. That's not important. His first two years were pretty horrid. But he did get the squad improved from there.

He has experience coordinating defenses and special teams at the highest levels of football. I would hate hiring him as a HC, but I'd absolutely be thrilled to bring him in as an assistant. Great coaching experience + great recruiting ability + familiarity with the B1G and Illinois high school football...

Was he fired as UFs dc?

Noticed that after 3 years he went from dc to st coach in '95. Other than that, he was a dc for the saints for 2 seasons.

Thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back