• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Since it looks like the job is JP's

Your thoughts on JP getting promoted.

• Good Hire!!!(Promotion)

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Bo's starting to sink the ship with this one

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 54 57.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Was he fired as UFs dc?

Noticed that after 3 years he went from dc to st coach in '95. Other than that, he was a dc for the saints for 2 seasons.

Thats it.

I do not know the story behind it. Spurrier changed him from DC to ST coordinator, but then later re-named him DC.

DC for at least 3 years in the SEC. DC for 2 years in the NFL. Special teams coordinator for multiple seasons in the SEC. Special teams coordinator in the NFL.

Count me in the undecided group. While JP may turn out to be a tremendous coach he may also be a dud at the DC position. Just no way of knowing as none of us have seen him fill that role. I will say though, I don't understand the logic of passing up a guy like Stoops if he is indeed willing to join the staff. Can't say I would be thrilled with Zook other than his recruiting ability.

Count me in the undecided group. While JP may turn out to be a tremendous coach he may also be a dud at the DC position. Just no way of knowing as none of us have seen him fill that role. I will say though, I don't understand the logic of passing up a guy like Stoops if he is indeed willing to join the staff. Can't say I would be thrilled with Zook other than his recruiting ability.

I still think we'll see Stoops at OU. I could see Venables being "encouraged" to leave to a place like Arkansas State to make room for Stoops.

I still think we'll see Stoops at OU. I could see Venables being "encouraged" to leave to a place like Arkansas State to make room for Stoops.

Hmm, not sure about OU. Did OU have any coaches leave? Do hey have room for him? I honestly don't know.

I just want Bo to hire someone that he feels comfortable with in deploying the system/scheme that he wants accomplished. A Stoops or Zook have made their mark as DCs, I would speculate, running a system that they are comfortable with....how compatible is their system/scheme to the one that Bo wants to run. Heck, the new DC could be someone other than JP, Stoops or Zook. For long term sake, I hope that NU continues with one system and not bounce around.

No doubt Bo has a great defensive style. His matchup zone in pass coverage and the way he uses his DL is unique to the college game. That is still not to say that he wont tweak things here and there over time to adjust to his opponents or the college game in general. One of the more respected coaches in Husker history, Charlie McBride, overhauled his defensive philosophy in the early 90's. After several loses to teams with faster defenses in the late 80's and early 90's like Florida State, Miami and Washington, McBride adopted a similar defensive stradegy. He moved safeties to LB and LB'ers to DE to get more speed on the field. This had as much to do with the Husker dominance in the 90's as anything, IMHO.

I think Stoops has some of the same ideas as Bo in terms of defensive philosophy. Both Bob and Mike share the same ideas as Bo in aspects of their defenses. And with Zook's background and coaching resume, I have no doubts he would be able to teach and implement Bo's stradegy.

No doubt Bo has a great defensive style. His matchup zone in pass coverage and the way he uses his DL is unique to the college game. That is still not to say that he wont tweak things here and there over time to adjust to his opponents or the college game in general. One of the more respected coaches in Husker history, Charlie McBride, overhauled his defensive philosophy in the early 90's. After several loses to teams with faster defenses in the late 80's and early 90's like Florida State, Miami and Washington, McBride adopted a similar defensive stradegy. He moved safeties to LB and LB'ers to DE to get more speed on the field. This had as much to do with the Husker dominance in the 90's as anything, IMHO.

I think Stoops has some of the same ideas as Bo in terms of defensive philosophy. Both Bob and Mike share the same ideas as Bo in aspects of their defenses. And with Zook's background and coaching resume, I have no doubts he would be able to teach and implement Bo's stradegy.
'

Which 90's DEs would have been LBs in his 80s system? That's a gross over simplification of the changes that were made. And let's not forget that Charlie consistently field top 10 defenses throughout his career as a DC.

I don't get the infatuation with Zook. His actual resume isn't very impressive.

Illinois' combined winning percentage under its two coaches prior to Zook (Lou Tepper and Ron Turner, 1992-2004) was .409.

Illinois' winning percentage under Zook was .400.

Tepper won 46%, Turner won 38%, Zook won 40%. After 7 years of recruiting great talent, you'd think there would be SOME results on the field. However, I think the solution for Illinois is to stop hiring guys with only 3 letters in their first name (Ron Turner, Lou Tepper, Ron Zook). They experienced some success under a man with 4 letters in his first name (John Mackovic), winning over 63% of their games (30-17-1) under his watch from 1988-1991.

'

Which 90's DEs would have been LBs in his 80s system? That's a gross over simplification of the changes that were made. And let's not forget that Charlie consistently field top 10 defenses throughout his career as a DC.

I don't get the infatuation with Zook. His actual resume isn't very impressive.

Illinois' combined winning percentage under its two coaches prior to Zook (Lou Tepper and Ron Turner, 1992-2004) was .409.

Illinois' winning percentage under Zook was .400.

Tepper won 46%, Turner won 38%, Zook won 40%. After 7 years of recruiting great talent, you'd think there would be SOME results on the field. However, I think the solution for Illinois is to stop hiring guys with only 3 letters in their first name (Ron Turner, Lou Tepper, Ron Zook). They experienced some success under a man with 4 letters in his first name (John Mackovic), winning over 63% of their games (30-17-1) under his watch from 1988-1991.

BUT HE'S A NAME!!!!!!

And by golly, some of these folk DEMAND a NAME hire!

Never mind that they don't know diddly squat about the strengths or weaknesses on any real level of any of the potential names being bandied about.

Bo has a pretty good track record. He knows what kind of chemistry he's trying to build.

Remember.....we had someone in the AD's position in 2003 who thought much the same way. I NEED A NAME, I NEED A NAME!

What a disaster that was.

Bo's being paid to make the call. I have a feeling that he'll do just fine.

Bo will be the real DC no matter who we hire, that"s all he really knows. Therefore, he should hire someone who can give our recruiting a boost or someone who is an outstanding position coach.

Last edited:

ah yes, the "experience chant" :rolleyes:

remember quite well in 2003 how many folks questioned a LB coach who had never been a coordinator being hired as DC...

again following 2007, when cries of nepotism & lack of experience greeted our former DC...

both of those worked out quite well, so whoever the choice is... I've got faith it'll work out, whether it's a big name known commodity, or not.

Who questioned Bo Pelini's hiring as DC in 2003? Pelini had a fabulous resume at that point. Bo Pelini has coached under such renowned coaches as George Seifert, Pete Carroll, Hayden Fry, Ray Rhodes and Mike Sherman. Pelini had 9-years as an NFL position coach under his belt. In his three years at San Francisco, he was apart of three division winning teams and a Super Bowl winner. In three years at New England and then at Green Bay, he was apart of 2 playoff teams and once a division winner with each. Bo also came with the personal recommendation's of Monte Kiffin (arguably the best defensive coordinator in the NFL at the time) and Pete Carroll (arguably the best college coach in the country at the time).

BUT HE'S A NAME!!!!!!

And by golly, some of these folk DEMAND a NAME hire!

Never mind that they don't know diddly squat about the strengths or weaknesses on any real level of any of the potential names being bandied about.

Bo has a pretty good track record. He knows what kind of chemistry he's trying to build.

Remember.....we had someone in the AD's position in 2003 who thought much the same way. I NEED A NAME, I NEED A NAME!

What a disaster that was.

Bo's being paid to make the call. I have a feeling that he'll do just fine.

Pointless generalization again by fRed. Who woulda thunk it? So since some want someone with experience rather than a ST coach to be the DC that makes them people who only want a "name" and/or Pederson and Callahan lovers. You just can't let it go and it makes you look petty. So some of us would prefer a guy like Stoops, what's wrong with that? He's a proven DC at the college level and friends with Bo to boot. Of course you will come on here and criticize that people only want a name, but I am willing to put a lot of money on the fact that if Bo hires him you will think he's the cat's pajamas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back