• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shopping the transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, very surprised. Isn’t Dugan a sophomore? That means he could be there 3 more years. Kudos to TCU being on top of things and upgrading their room. Going back 3 years, what did Frost say about Joe Borrow and not being as good as the QBs in his QB room? You can’t tell me after what we saw out of AM and LM you have a solid QB room right now.
TCU wasn't afraid to "disrupt the QB room" or its "culture" with that move. I give them credit. You upgrade whenever possible. Create competition and for those who don't like it, the strong survive (the guys you want anyway).

Coan to Notre Dame. Coan is a decent QB but that would a pretty serious step back from Ian Book, IMO.
Not to mention, they have a kid in Drew Pyne who was a true freshman this year that by all accounts is more skilled than Coan. But again, I like the idea of creating competition.

Not to mention, they have a kid in Drew Pyne who was a true freshman this year that by all accounts is more skilled than Coan. But again, I like the idea of creating competition.

I think it's great for ND. Just surprised her didn't go somewhere where he had a clearer path to be the starter. Maybe his decision was about more than football.

I think it's great for ND. Just surprised her didn't go somewhere where he had a clearer path to be the starter. Maybe his decision was about more than football.
I give the kid (and staff) credit. He isn't shying away from competition, which is EXACTLY the type of guy you want. Even if he doesn't start, he will inherently make all the QBs around him better. And you have a proven back up in case QB1 goes down.

I give the kid (and staff) credit. He isn't shying away from competition, which is EXACTLY the type of guy you want. Even if he doesn't start, he will inherently make all the QBs around him better. And you have a proven back up in case QB1 goes down.
Absolutely agree. It's a credit to Coan he's willing to go compete. It's just a surprising thing today's college football.

Last edited:
TCU wasn't afraid to "disrupt the QB room" or its "culture" with that move. I give them credit. You upgrade whenever possible. Create competition and for those who don't like it, the strong survive (the guys you want anyway).
I totally agree with this. We seem to lack that competitive atmosphere here. After witnessing what we did this fall, I don’t see how you can’t bring in another QB to see how things shake out. Maybe they tried but couldn’t close the deal on Book or Morris. We’ll never know. I suppose there will be another round of QB transfers after Spring Ball.

I totally agree with this. We seem to lack that competitive atmosphere here. After witnessing what we did this fall, I don’t see how you can’t bring in another QB to see how things shake out. Maybe they tried but couldn’t close the deal on Book or Morris. We’ll never know. I suppose there will be another round of QB transfers after Spring Ball.
I guess I just don’t quite get why you go out and pursue someone like Chandler Morris, a 3* Recruit in last years rankings, when you have Logan Smothers, a 4* and the #4 Dual Threat QB in that class patiently waiting.

Not only does it make zero sense for us to go after him in my opinion, but it makes zero sense for him to consider a place like Nebraska given all of the news being spread around practice around Smothers future and how well he runs our offense. Just my .02

I guess I just don’t quite get why you go out and pursue someone like Chandler Morris, a 3* Recruit in last years rankings, when you have Logan Smothers, a 4* and the #4 Dual Threat QB in that class patiently waiting.

Not only does it make zero sense for us to go after him in my opinion, but it makes zero sense for him to consider a place like Nebraska given all of the news being spread around practice around Smothers future and how well he runs our offense. Just my .02

I don’t know if Morris or Book or anyone else is the answer but it’s hard not to at least raise an eyebrow when we don’t go after anyone considering how poor the QB play has been these past three years.

And now we’re hanging our hopes on an untested redshirt freshman and reports(which I haven’t seen, taking your word for it) of how good he’s been in practice? Man... this offensive coaching staff has already lost a lot of credibility in its ability to assess its capability from practices. How many times have we been told how good we look in practice leading up to a game or even the whole season and we’re not good at all? At a certain point you have to question the coaching staff’s ability to even assess who we are from these practices.

Totally agree with first paragraph. Opposite sides with you on second paragraph but point remains no need to go get someone his same age and bring him in.

I’m for trying to bring in two QB’s every year. Let a few transfer. That’s how it’s done nowadays. Seems we are putting all our eggs in one basket.
I don't mind getting your one guy every year in the recruiting class, especially if it's a big name like Martinez. But in a year like this year where you are trying to bring someone in to learn your system to be ready when Martinez leaves, I get going after two.

I don't mind getting your one guy every year in the recruiting class, especially if it's a big name like Martinez. But in a year like this year where you are trying to bring someone in to learn your system to be ready when Martinez leaves, I get going after two.
I’m good with having one stud like Martinez but then bring in a project like the kid from Kearney or Westside. Regardless they need to put some talent around these guys.

You are spot on with this statement as my comment wasn't necessarily talking specifically about bringing a young guy in like Morris, but more so creating competition and DEPTH around AM (i.e., Grad transfer, or Junior/Sr. level player). I am petrified about our depth at QB right now as AM has been hurt every year since his high school days. And right now, there is nothing behind him we can rely upon.

I'm not close enough to the team to know if LS is killing it in practice. I've literally heard two polar opposite reports/opinions on his viability to challenge for the position next year. God I hope you're right about that or things get scary quickly.

Last edited:

I’m good with having one stud like Martinez but then bring in a project like the kid from Kearney or Westside. Regardless they need to put some talent around these guys.
Ya, they need to make sure for whenever Martinez leaves they have 2 or 3 guys they feel they can choose from to get the job done. I don't mind bringing in two, I would have offered Westside QB along with Kearney Catholic kid this year. Have 4 dudes ready to go for when Martinez departs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back