• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Series recommendations?

Longmire's last episode with a romantic hook up was puke worthy IMO. Great show for many seasons, but it did jump the shark.

Ms. Maisal season 1 is one of the best seasons of any show. Season 2 is good. The last 2 (I think?) seasons are meh.

Mindhunter is a great series. Sucks it ended after 2 seasons. Bit slow, but I liked it.

Peaky Blinders thumbs up.

Just started Yellowstone, it's ok so far.
Yellowstone is ok, but if you can, definitely watch 1883 and 1923 both are better but 1883 is only one season and 1923 is between seasons and has been for a while.

I started watching this but went on to something else (because I thought the wife would like it also and am waiting for her to have time) and will get back to it eventually. From what I watched I would recommend as well.

Started watching this with the Mrs last night.

Not sure what to think, other than the acting and production are top notch.
The novels are great, but very much have a feel of Chinese cultural sensibilities that sometimes intrudes on the story telling. I’m very curious what an American cinematic retelling looks like.

There was also a subtitled Chinese TV series that is on Amazon Prime.

But the story itself, very interesting and original feeling.

The novels are great, but very much have a feel of Chinese cultural sensibilities that sometimes intrudes on the story telling. I’m very curious what an American cinematic retelling looks like.

There was also a subtitled Chinese TV series that is on Amazon Prime.

But the story itself, very interesting and original feeling.

We watched the second episode last night and it's still pretty interesting.

I will say my wife is easily bored by excessively cerebral content and this is pushing her envelope. When it comes to entertainment, she very much wants to be entertained.

We watched the second episode last night and it's still pretty interesting.

I will say my wife is easily bored by excessively cerebral content and this is pushing her envelope. When it comes to entertainment, she very much wants to be entertained.
Without giving spoilers, there are some big ideas in this story, and if they go through all three novels the end leads to some surprisingly subtle philosophical considerations. I’ve found myself thinking back on some of the ‘humanity’ examination.

One big theme is about whether the rest of the universe is malevolent or not. The entire first novel I thought the author was presenting one view, then at the end of it all a large scale cooperative kind of galactic trust fall showed a much different sensibility. I didn’t see it coming and it left me reflecting on the characters for weeks.

I’m not that optimistic a TV series on Netflix is going to convey all that, but the material is there to work with.

I really enjoyed the Longmire series and have not read any of the books. The one thing that stood out was that Absaroka County has a higher murder rate than Detroit. LOL
If I recall correctly there were some geographical/travel time issues that stood out to me as someone that has traveled all over Wyoming. Not deal breakers, but flagrant enough for me to scoff/laugh at some to the point that my wife told me to shut up.

Longmire's last episode with a romantic hook up was puke worthy IMO. Great show for many seasons, but it did jump the shark.

Ms. Maisal season 1 is one of the best seasons of any show. Season 2 is good. The last 2 (I think?) seasons are meh.

Mindhunter is a great series. Sucks it ended after 2 seasons. Bit slow, but I liked it.

To me, Mindhunter was ok. I have the book that John Douglas wrote (signed!), but I think my hang up with Mindhunter is that I don't really care much for the actor playing Holden Ford. That's just my opinion, and I thought the partner Bill Tench was a lot more interesting/relatable. I will say though, the guy they got to play Ed Kemper NAILED IT.

Started watching 3 Body Problem on Netflix. If you like Sci-Fi thrillers….would highly recommend.
This is on the list to start this weekend.

Another cool sci-fi thriller was Altered Carbon (season 1). I liked the idea behind it, the twists and whatnot, and was excited for season 2. But they recast the lead, which is actually within the realm of the universe for that show, and I just couldn't get into it from there. I'll go re-watch season 1, and then give season 2 another try. Like I said, the concept is a cool idea, but the season 2 delivery was just off for me.

If I recall correctly there were some geographical/travel time issues that stood out to me as someone that has traveled all over Wyoming. Not deal breakers, but flagrant enough for me to scoff/laugh at some to the point that my wife told me to shut up.
I hear you. Geographical inconsistencies are probably more common than we think. Look at About Schmidt, filmed in Omaha. That was full of inconsistencies that made me chuckle. I bet that's in every movie.

Plus, I think a good chunk of filming for Longmire happened in New Mexico, so there's that too.

This is on the list to start this weekend.

Another cool sci-fi thriller was Altered Carbon (season 1). I liked the idea behind it, the twists and whatnot, and was excited for season 2. But they recast the lead, which is actually within the realm of the universe for that show, and I just couldn't get into it from there. I'll go re-watch season 1, and then give season 2 another try. Like I said, the concept is a cool idea, but the season 2 delivery was just off for me.
Poe was one of the better characters in Altered Carbon.

To me, Mindhunter was ok. I have the book that John Douglas wrote (signed!), but I think my hang up with Mindhunter is that I don't really care much for the actor playing Holden Ford. That's just my opinion, and I thought the partner Bill Tench was a lot more interesting/relatable. I will say though, the guy they got to play Ed Kemper NAILED IT.
That's interesting, I liked the exact opposite actors. I thought Tench was fairly boring and obvious "old school cop'ish". Ford was the weird kid in school that likely got beat up/mocked heavily and has no real social awareness.

That's interesting, I liked the exact opposite actors. I thought Tench was fairly boring and obvious "old school cop'ish". Ford was the weird kid in school that likely got beat up/mocked heavily and has no real social awareness.
I'm probably just biased toward the actor. I don't really like him, although he did play a good sleazy executive in The Matrix Resurrections, so there is that.

Yellowstone storyline, actors pretty good. Cinematography top notch

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back