• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Series recommendations?

Slow Horses on Apple TV is pretty good.

Gary Oldman is the frumpy alcoholic boss of an Mi5 office where they put agents that have frucked up.

It’s sounds like a comedy, but it’s not.

Hell on Wheels
Animal Kingdom
The Americans

All are fantastic

Your tastes are similar to mine

I actually like the series as well.

Robert Johnson does a great job of playing Walt, and though Katee Sachoff doesn't look anything like the books portray Vic Moretti, she's pretty good as well. Lou Diamond Phillips is a great actor and he has Henry's speech down to a 'T', but he's about half the size of the Henry Standing Bear in the books. It's sometimes cheesier than the books as well, but still fairly entertaining.
We really enjoyed the Longmire series until the season ending event where a major character was killed off for reasons that were nonsensical. It was the closest thing to 'jumping the shark' I've ever seen. I believe they moved networks at that time, and I just could never get back into it. I think we watched 3 or 4 seasons prior to that and really enjoyed it.

Breaking Bad was good. Better Call Saul was better. But I think the OP is asking for stuff with a bit more action. Well, more frequent/predictable action maybe. The tension in both of those series is through the roof, and the long ride you go on watching the shows really pays off. Some of the best TV made in this era, but I'm not sure how closely they'll match the other programs listed.

I really enjoyed True Detective. I've seen the first 3 seasons. Each season is a different cast, different self-contained story.

I'll give a second to Peaky Blinders, too. The crime story from the other side, but for a well-written, well-acted show with dramatic tension and action I think it matches what is listed above.

If you’re asking about books rather than TV shows, I’ve really enjoyed the Longmire series by Craig Johnson. So far, there are 20+ novels and some shorter stories. I can’t vouch for the TV series based on the books, but maybe?

I actually like the series as well.

Robert Johnson does a great job of playing Walt, and though Katee Sachoff doesn't look anything like the books portray Vic Moretti, she's pretty good as well. Lou Diamond Phillips is a great actor and he has Henry's speech down to a 'T', but he's about half the size of the Henry Standing Bear in the books. It's sometimes cheesier than the books as well, but still fairly entertaining.
I really enjoyed the Longmire series and have not read any of the books. The one thing that stood out was that Absaroka County has a higher murder rate than Detroit. LOL

There was a fun one on FX called "Mr. In-Between". It's an Australian series, so you may need to turn on the subtitles. It's about Ray Shoesmith, a collector/fixer with anger issues, and his daily life. Actually a really good show.

It's a continuation (sort of) on a movie from 2005 called "The Magician". You don't have to see the movie to see the show though. I haven't (yet), but the show is funny, dramatic, violent and kind of realistic in that the people are all very normal looking and have somewhat mundane lives. You actually are rooting for this character even though he's a semi-bad guy, but you aren't rooting for him to do bad things (well, maybe!), you're rooting for him because he's human.

The show is produced and directed by the star of the show and is just a fun watch. The trailer actually does a great job capturing the tones of the show:

We really enjoyed the Longmire series until the season ending event where a major character was killed off for reasons that were nonsensical. It was the closest thing to 'jumping the shark' I've ever seen. I believe they moved networks at that time, and I just could never get back into it. I think we watched 3 or 4 seasons prior to that and really enjoyed it.

Breaking Bad was good. Better Call Saul was better. But I think the OP is asking for stuff with a bit more action. Well, more frequent/predictable action maybe. The tension in both of those series is through the roof, and the long ride you go on watching the shows really pays off. Some of the best TV made in this era, but I'm not sure how closely they'll match the other programs listed.

I really enjoyed True Detective. I've seen the first 3 seasons. Each season is a different cast, different self-contained story.

I'll give a second to Peaky Blinders, too. The crime story from the other side, but for a well-written, well-acted show with dramatic tension and action I think it matches what is listed above.
Longmire's last episode with a romantic hook up was puke worthy IMO. Great show for many seasons, but it did jump the shark.

Ms. Maisal season 1 is one of the best seasons of any show. Season 2 is good. The last 2 (I think?) seasons are meh.

Mindhunter is a great series. Sucks it ended after 2 seasons. Bit slow, but I liked it.

Peaky Blinders thumbs up.

Just started Yellowstone, it's ok so far.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back