• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sell Outs

Cornhuskers7

Trapped in SEC Country
2 Year Member
The sell out streak is staying alive, at least for one more game. I know many are ready to see the sell out streak die, mainly because it has been helped along over the years. That said, Nebraska's sell out streak is more than a number, it is something that is unique within college sports and the current state of our world.

Many have seen the press conference clip about Lane Kiffin complaining about Ole Miss's fans not showing up to games or leaving super early. I've been to Oxford on game day (actually 12 years ago this week when they played Kentucky). The Grove is an incredible spectacle for college sports. They do take tailgating to a completely different level. That said, it doesn't translate to the stadium, as Lane and the article note. Schools nowadays are having to pull out all the bells and whistles. Party decks, alcohol, DJs, light shows, etc, to draw people in and to keep them there.

I went to the NU-Wisconsin game last year, and was surprised at how poor the atmosphere was there. The stadium really didn't fill up until close to halftime. The crowd wasn't that into a really close game. Jump Around was cool, but it seemed like that is what everyone was waiting for.

Nebraska has begun to dabble in a few gimmicks. The light show before the 4th quarter in night games would be one (albeit a pretty cool one). Alcohol keeps coming up as a topic, and someday will be sold in Memorial.

That said, Nebraska is still very much focused on football. Which is incredible given how disappointing that product has been the last few years. I know the student section emptied quite a bit during the OU game, but for the most part the stadium was still pretty full to watch a blowout. It is important to remember that while the sellout streak will likely die at some point, it is representative of something special about our fanbase that is rarely rivaled in the sport. For 50+ years, our guys haven't run out of the tunnel "to a high school crowd" (minus COVID season). Let us not take for granted how special the environment and culture is around Nebraska football, even when the environment and culture within it is struggling.

I hope the sellout streak never dies.

Should the Nebraska unicameral die? Should College World Series stop being held in Omaha?

There are some uniquely Nebraska things in life, like Runzas, Casey's convenience stores, or Valentinos. The sellout streak is one of those things. It's not about how good the team is. It's about how much love and support we show for our team. Times change, but I hope Nebraskans keep packing Memorial Stadium for a hundred more years.

Last edited:
But how is the sellout streak unique if it isn’t even real? Our fan support is still unique given how awful we have been over the years. If it’s 85k in there instead of 90k it’s still unique. The sellout is just semantics really.

It would be great if more people bought season tickets but with the increase in seat donations and costs going up overall, it’s going to tough for NU to have it both ways.

But how is the sellout streak unique if it isn’t even real? Our fan support is still unique given how awful we have been over the years. If it’s 85k in there instead of 90k it’s still unique. The sellout is just semantics really.

It would be great if more people bought season tickets but with the increase in seat donations and costs going up overall, it’s going to tough for NU to have it both ways.
The sellout streak is more indicative of the uniqueness of the fan support. The streak has definitely been assisted, which you could say nullifies it. The point, is most places aren't even in a position where one or two thousand seats are left to sell to get to a sellout. Most places you make a big note if a game is sold out.

Tickets are expensive. Very easily could reduce costs and guarantee the streak. I'm convinced it will die at some point. Might even be in the next few weeks. That wasn't the point of the post. The point was that while we are struggling to fill the last few seats, other schools that are way more successful right now, can't even fathom our situation.

The sellout streak is more indicative of the uniqueness of the fan support. The streak has definitely been assisted, which you could say nullifies it. The point, is most places aren't even in a position where one or two thousand seats are left to sell to get to a sellout. Most places you make a big note if a game is sold out.

Tickets are expensive. Very easily could reduce costs and guarantee the streak. I'm convinced it will die at some point. Might even be in the next few weeks. That wasn't the point of the post. The point was that while we are struggling to fill the last few seats, other schools that are way more successful right now, can't even fathom our situation.
Exactly.... If the stadium is sold out WTH does it matter how it's sold out except to say it's SOLD OUT!! The only constant in life is change but I'm all for the sell out streak to continue. Is there a rule that all tickets must be purchase by individuals? Some complain it's not real but the bottom line is if all the tickets have been purchased then it's technically SOLD OUT, end of discussion imo. I hope it continues on as long as the Huskers play football.

Exactly.... If the stadium is sold out WTH does it matter how it's sold out except to say it's SOLD OUT!! The only constant in life is change but I'm all for the sell out streak to continue. Is there a rule that all tickets must be purchase by individuals? Some complain it's not real but the bottom line is if all the tickets have been purchased then it's technically SOLD OUT, end of discussion imo. I hope it continues on as long as the Huskers play football.
I agree that as long as the tickets are being bought AND used, I don't consider it an issue. If someone is "buying" a thousand seats but the seats sit empty, that is artificial. The Red Carpet Experience isn't, in my opinion. Just because those individuals didn't buy the tickets, doesn't make their presence any less special.

I went to the NU-Wisconsin game last year, and was surprised at how poor the atmosphere was there. The stadium really didn't fill up until close to halftime. The crowd wasn't that into a really close game. Jump Around was cool, but it seemed like that is what everyone was waiting for.
Wisconsin's fans are difficult to grasp IMO.

I do think they are very fair weathered ... if the team is winning they're there, if not they are not.

They have a much larger student body at the game than Nebraska ... but the students literally show up for jump around and that's it ... so they arrive late and leave almost immediately when the last note is played.

The gameday experience is very alcohol/drinking-centric ... adults and students.

Wisconsin very rarely brings in good non-conference games ... usually their non-conference games are lame - Washington State, Fresno State ... in the extremely rare situation that they do play a big one like LSU its at Lambeau Field or a neutral site.

Wisconsin's fans are difficult to grasp IMO.

I do think they are very fair weathered ... if the team is winning they're there, if not they are not.

They have a much larger student body at the game than Nebraska ... but the students literally show up for jump around and that's it ... so they arrive late and leave almost immediately when the last note is played.

The gameday experience is very alcohol/drinking-centric ... adults and students.

Wisconsin very rarely brings in good non-conference games ... usually their non-conference games are lame - Washington State, Fresno State ... in the extremely rare situation that they do play a big one like LSU its at Lambeau Field or a neutral site.
It definitely didn't live up to expectations. We had quite a few Nebraska fans in our area because we were behind our bench. The Wisconsin fans in the area got really mad at some of the Nebraska fans, because they wanted to stand and watch the whole game. Lots of "down in front", "We paid for a seat, not a place to stand", "In Madison, we sit". Granted, the NU fans that were standing were being pains about it too, which I didn't appreciate.

Overall their fans were wayyyy nicer than I expected. The gameday experience just didn't live up to expectation, despite it being a really good game that they ended up winning.

Its real. Corporate purchases of groups of tickets to get to the maximum capacity is a legit way to sell tickets. That doesn't nullify the sell-out or the streak. If it was so trivial, every school would sell all their remaining tickets to booster/corporate groups. They don't, because they are nowhere close to capacity and it would represent an enormous commitment. In Nebraska, even on the worst days when the team has struggled, they get very close to capacity sold organically.

I hope the streak continues because it will mean Mickey Joseph got this team playing well enough to be compelling to watch, and that the next head coach got things headed the right direction. It would mean the players on this year's team who have busted their asses will get fully support and will have something positive to experience this season.

The sell out streak is staying alive, at least for one more game. I know many are ready to see the sell out streak die, mainly because it has been helped along over the years. That said, Nebraska's sell out streak is more than a number, it is something that is unique within college sports and the current state of our world.

Many have seen the press conference clip about Lane Kiffin complaining about Ole Miss's fans not showing up to games or leaving super early. I've been to Oxford on game day (actually 12 years ago this week when they played Kentucky). The Grove is an incredible spectacle for college sports. They do take tailgating to a completely different level. That said, it doesn't translate to the stadium, as Lane and the article note. Schools nowadays are having to pull out all the bells and whistles. Party decks, alcohol, DJs, light shows, etc, to draw people in and to keep them there.

Nebraska has begun to dabble in a few gimmicks. The light show before the 4th quarter in night games would be one (albeit a pretty cool one). Alcohol keeps coming up as a topic, and someday will be sold in Memorial.

That said, Nebraska is still very much focused on football. Which is incredible given how disappointing that product has been the last few years. I know the student section emptied quite a bit during the OU game, but for the most part the stadium was still pretty full to watch a blowout. It is important to remember that while the sellout streak will likely die at some point, it is representative of something special about our fanbase that is rarely rivaled in the sport. For 50+ years, our guys haven't run out of the tunnel "to a high school crowd" (minus COVID season). Let us not take for granted how special the environment and culture is around Nebraska football, even when the environment and culture within it is struggling.

I was also at WI game last year. I agree the students showed up late. Though you and I saw the atmosphere differently. I thought it was good. Attendance was also impacted because the NU/WI game last year was on the same day as opening rifle season. A lot of Sconnies definitely choose hunting over football.

Sellout doesn’t equal attending. Though I’m having a hard time reconciling some of the scanned ticket numbers from last year. i didn’t see the stadium as empty as some of these numbers say it should have been. But the numbers in the article are from NU.

I will say I was on a stadium tour a couple of months ago with a bunch of non Nebraskans. They were impressed by the sellout streak. So why not keep it going? People find all kinds of creative ways to market themselves. No reason we can’t do it too.

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/fo...cle_131fb868-5eec-11ec-9eda-bb51be48428d.html

Last edited:

I was also at WI game last year. I agree the students showed up late. Though you and I saw the atmosphere differently. I thought it was good. Attendance was also impacted because the NU/WI game last year was on the same day as opening rifle season. A lot of Sconnies definitely choose hunting over football.
Toward the end of the game, the intensity in the crowd picked up, but I thought it was pretty dead, especially in the 1st half. Yeah, we were told that hunting season had just opened. Feel like you get up early to hunt and then can make it for a 2:30 kickoff.

It wasn't the worst atmosphere I've been to, but it was far from the best. My brother in law and I try to go to a game a year somewhere in the country to take in a good fan experience. This one lagged behind some of the others.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back