• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked SEC.. overated and our season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornfieldCounty

5AC 4 LYFE!
15 Year Member
At the beginning of the year, I was drinking the proverbial kool aid that the national media was spinning.. SEC was the king of college football. Well, 80% of the season is through, and I have finally seen the light. For all of the fanfare, the SEC is not the god conference. Lets take a look at how good these teams have been:

Georgia likely Top 5
Buffalo 4-7 (W 45-23) this was 24-16 at halftime.
Tennessee 4-7 (W 51-44) again, halftime was 30-30 and UT just fired their coach, effective immediately.
South Carolina 9-2 (L 35-7) This was not even a close game I would classify as a blow out.
Kentucky 2-9, 0-7 conf (W 29-24) Really? A 2 and 9 team you win by 5?
Florida 10-1 (W 17-9) Will cover in a minute, impressive? Not!
Georgia South 8-3 (FCS) Lead 17-7 at halftime.. a Sub-division team.
5 bad wins, one bad loss

Now, Florida, likely top 5
Bowling Green 7-4 (27-14) 14-7 halftime
Tennessee 4-7 (37-20) 10-14 halftime
Missouri 4-5, 1-5 conf (14-7) 0-7 halftime
LA – Lafayette 5-4 (27-20) 7 point win, at home, to a Sun Belt team
Sluggish offense is kind words..

LSU, again likely top 5
They looked good non-con, much like NU, but then
Auburn 3-8, 0-7 conf (12-10) 9-10 at halftime. This is a bad Auburn team
Towson 7-4, yes FCS, (38-22) 17-9 halftime
Florida 9-1 (6-14) one of the most anemic offenses in the SEC.

Now, look at our season in perspective:
So Miss 0-11, (49-20) opening game, slow start but won by 4 TD's
@UCLA 9-2, Pac12 Southern division champions (30-36) a game we all know we SHOULD have won had we just tackled the swing pass.
Arkansas State 8-3, 6-1 Sun Belt leaders (42-13) “Steamrollsâ€￾ is the headline on ESPN.
Idaho State 1-10 (FCS) (73-7) We did our part, period.
Wisconsin 7-4 (30-27) Will represent the Leaders in the B1G CG.
Ohio State 11-0 (38-63) The one we imploded on.. yes, ugly.
NW 8-3 (29-28) Cardiac #1, will play on Jan 1
UM 8-3 (23-9) With Dennard, who knows, but good win, period. Will play on Jan 1
MSU 5-6 (23-20) Cardiac #2, one of the best defenses in the country, on the road.
PSU 7-4 (32-23) Cardiac #3, if it was not for tOSU, would be the best in the Leaders division
MU 6-5 (38-14) was not close, against a team going bowling.

Our two losses have come on the road, against a combined 20-2. Our opponents are a combined 68-51 and remember that includes and 0-11 Miss State and 1-10 Idaho State.

Everyone seems to think the Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12, ACC, etc.. are second fiddle to the SEC, I think that is BS.

Just some Sunday morning musing to think about.

Alabama didn't look overrated against Michigan ... I'm sorry, but trying to sell the SEC as not being a great conference is pointless. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M are all good football teams. Florida is a good team ... MSU isn't too bad, either. They haven't won all those NCG on accident ... the SEC is a great conference. Trying to say otherwise is just a waste of time.

Last edited:
You forgot the rest of the story....they have won because of their shady recruiting practices....when you bring 40 kids and trim 15 out you don't want evey year its a huge advantage...and they rarely if ever get called out on it.....and it doesn't hurt that the recruiting services are all but in their employment...

Alabama didn't look overrated against Michigan ... I'm sorry, but trying to sell the SEC as not being a great offense is pointless. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M are all good football teams. Florida is a good team ... MSU isn't too bad, either. They haven't won all those NCG on accident ... the SEC is a great conference. Trying to say otherwise is just a waste of time.

You seem to like halftime scores yet neglect to mention that we were only beating Southern Mississippi 28-17 at halftime. A team that hasn't won a game all season. Also, Michigan is the only conference opponent before yesterday that we had a lead on at halftime. And that was only by one point. Spin it however you have to but the SEC is a lot better than the Big 10. A lot better.

You forgot the rest of the story....they have won because of their shady recruiting practices....when you bring 40 kids and trim 15 out you don't want evey year its a huge advantage...and they rarely if ever get called out on it.....and it doesn't hurt that the recruiting services are all but in their employment...

Despite how they got there, saying their teams aren't that good is ridiculous.

You seem to like halftime scores yet neglect to mention that we were only beating Southern Mississippi 28-17 at halftime. A team that hasn't won a game all season. Also, Michigan is the only conference opponent before yesterday that we had a lead on at halftime. And that was only by one point. Spin it however you have to but the SEC is a lot better than the Big 10. A lot better.

I agree, but I did say "Opening game, slow start" right?

I just don't see how they are "a lot better x2".

I agree that they have some shady recruiting ... they also have superior recruiting for other reasons, too.

The OP wasn't about how they got to be a great conference ... it was about how they aren't that good and, you and I both know, that's just not true. I know we're riding high on what's hopefully going to be a 10-win season, but keep your head people.

I agree, but I did say "Opening game, slow start" right?

I just don't see how they are "a lot better x2".

I think top to bottom, they really are better and they usually show it bowl season. Certainly they get the benefit of the doubt in many situations but I think they have earned that, it wasn't given to them. I am more concerned about Nebraska and how they handle their business right now. Hopefully we can continue to improve and have a good showing in our bowl this year.

The only thing I can add is that Georgia was very fortunate to have such an easy schedule, in my opinion anyway. I think Alabama clobbers them in the SEC title game.

they will win another NC this year and have 5 teams in the top 10...pretty solid

As I pointed out, IMHO that is inflated by the ones who put the names on their rankings.

I am not saying they are crap, but I do not believe they are so superior to everyone else.

they will win another NC this year and have 5 teams in the top 10...pretty solid

The hype is why they are rated so high. You take any conference & place 8 of their teams in the top 25 & you're going to end up a lot of teams left high in the standings. If I recall correctly Arkansas & Auburn were rated very high also with Arkansas top 5. Where are they now? Preseason hype is crap, especially when ESPN is driving the hype machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back