• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roundtable With Coach Osborne, AD Alberts & Coach Ruhle

Couple thoughts as I watched this. Tom holds an immense amount of knowledge including football knowledge that I dearly hope will live on with people like Trev and Matt and all of the players. I could see the immense amount of respect that both Matt and Trev have for TO. Clearly, Trev is deeply grateful for TO's mentorship and it was touching to see it. I am inspired and hopeful yet sad as I recall so much husker history that is fading away.

Matt Rhule vs. Luke Fickell​

— And finally, a good old “better hire” debate never hurt anyone. Here’s Nebraska’s Matt Rhule vs. Wisconsin’s Luke Fickell.

The case for Rhule:​

We've already seen him succeed in rebuilding a P5 program at Baylor, turning them around within two years, and he's already coming in hot on the recruiting trail. A proven winner, he's got ties all across the country and the demeanor needed for a no-nonsense program like Nebraska. Rhule is a floor-raiser that should have the Huskers back to bowl eligibility in his first year and even potentially winning the western division that is wide open.

The case against Rhule:​

We've never seen him stick around anywhere long enough to get a real good sense of what his long-term vision and program will look like. This job will tell us if he's going to turn into a coaching nomad or someone who stays and builds something truly sustainable.

The case for Fickell:​

The only coach who has ever brought a Group of 5 team to the CFP, Fickell has been one of the hottest commodities on the market since even before Cincinnati's run to the playoff. He reportedly turned down some of the biggest jobs in the country but chose Wisconsin and brought not only a ton of his staff from Cincinnati but also one of the country's most innovative play-callers in Phil Longo from UNC. Between a renewed investment in the Wisconsin program by the athletic department and school chancellor, as well as renewed juice in the program behind this hiring, the long-term upside for the program is massive.

The case against Fickell:​

He's never been a Power 5 head coach, and there may be some growing pains in having to face a higher level of competition week-in and week-out, as well as adapting to a completely different offense. Additionally, if the Ohio State job opens, he'll be the first person they contact and will more than likely make him an offer he can't refuse.

The Verdict:​

You're splitting hairs, as these are arguably the two top hires of the entire 2022-23 coaching carousel. Rhule gives you a higher floor, but Fickell gives you a higher ceiling.

You're splitting hairs, as these are arguably the two top hires of the entire 2022-23 coaching carousel. Rhule gives you a higher floor, but Fickell gives you a higher ceiling.​

Not even sure I'd agree with that. Rhule's ceiling is as high or higher than Fickell until proven otherwise. He's got as much track record in the group of 5 as Fickell does. In power 5, he's more accomplished. We'll see more of this head to head as the years play out though. It'll be interesting to see who becomes more successful.

Not even sure I'd agree with that. Rhule's ceiling is as high or higher than Fickell until proven otherwise. He's got as much track record in the group of 5 as Fickell does. In power 5, he's more accomplished. We'll see more of this head to head as the years play out though. It'll be interesting to see who becomes more successful.
You could argue SF created the opening LF got.
NW hasnt been the same since their DC left, the entire history of wiscy ball that got them here is gone/changed at best.
Longo is good, but I dont see wiscy coming even on D.

I'll argue for him as a top OC against any other with any one. But HC?

Why?

2018-2021 -- those were Frost offenses with Frost play calling. Heck, Frost himself said prior to last season that he spent very little time with the units that weren't on offense until Whipple. Those first four seasons were his offenses.

Not one of those seasons did we finish in the top 50 nationally for scoring offense. The best was his first, with a lot of Riley players -- but still not top 50 (30 PPG in 2018 was the tops for Frost in Lincoln).

I think Frost may be a capable OC -- if he's coaching talent that is clearly superior to the majority of the opponent's talent (i.e. Oregon and UCF). But a lot of coaches look better with better talent. He'll likely have to prove himself first with a lower-level team with less talent than he even had in Lincoln. I'm skeptical.

Last edited:

— And finally, a good old “better hire” debate never hurt anyone. Here’s Nebraska’s Matt Rhule vs. Wisconsin’s Luke Fickell.

We've already seen him succeed in rebuilding a P5 program at Baylor, turning them around within two years, and he's already coming in hot on the recruiting trail. A proven winner, he's got ties all across the country and the demeanor needed for a no-nonsense program like Nebraska. Rhule is a floor-raiser that should have the Huskers back to bowl eligibility in his first year and even potentially winning the western division that is wide open.

We've never seen him stick around anywhere long enough to get a real good sense of what his long-term vision and program will look like. This job will tell us if he's going to turn into a coaching nomad or someone who stays and builds something truly sustainable.

The only coach who has ever brought a Group of 5 team to the CFP, Fickell has been one of the hottest commodities on the market since even before Cincinnati's run to the playoff. He reportedly turned down some of the biggest jobs in the country but chose Wisconsin and brought not only a ton of his staff from Cincinnati but also one of the country's most innovative play-callers in Phil Longo from UNC. Between a renewed investment in the Wisconsin program by the athletic department and school chancellor, as well as renewed juice in the program behind this hiring, the long-term upside for the program is massive.

He's never been a Power 5 head coach, and there may be some growing pains in having to face a higher level of competition week-in and week-out, as well as adapting to a completely different offense. Additionally, if the Ohio State job opens, he'll be the first person they contact and will more than likely make him an offer he can't refuse.

You're splitting hairs, as these are arguably the two top hires of the entire 2022-23 coaching carousel. Rhule gives you a higher floor, but Fickell gives you a higher ceiling.

Reminds me .... I read an article today with Ohio State fans swooning over Mike Vrabel (who was at his alumni school for pro day). Even some wild Tweet suggesting: lose to Michigan again this season, and it's time to move on from Day and hire Vrabel. :Lol:

While I'm thinking that's a minority opinion in Columbus, there's always that fringe group that is capable of growing each year they fall short of a Big Ten championship.

Regarding Rhule ... I tend to think he did not come to Lincoln with plans to bolt in 3 years. But -- if Fickell can be rumored to Ohio State should a job open, same with Rhule at Penn State. Especially if Rhule proves his worth at Nebraska in short order.

Odd sidenote: Matt Rhule played for Penn State, 1994-97. Something about those years. ;)

Last edited:
Why?

2018-2021 -- those were Frost offenses with Frost play calling. Heck, Frost himself said prior to last season that he spent very little time with the units that weren't on offense until Whipple. Those first four seasons were his offenses.

Not one of those seasons did we finish in the top 50 nationally for scoring offense. The best was his first, with a lot of Riley players -- but still not top 50 (30 PPG in 2018 was the tops for Frost in Lincoln).

I think Frost may be a capable OC -- if he's coaching talent that is clearly superior to the majority of the opponent's talent (i.e. Oregon and UCF). But a lot of coaches look better with better talent. He'll likely have to prove himself first with a lower-level team with less talent than he even had in Lincoln. I'm skeptical.
Selective?Scoring? So obviously we werent top fifty in any other categories right?
And our talent level was so good? And we never lost any? And we never had development problems?

Now,a HC that calls plays is responsible for development, knowing his players,putting them in positions to win and call plays in this case.
Guess what OCs arent responsible for?
Development, who plays where.

So when SF was leading the nation at UCF that didnt count, just ignore the above?
Or,realize, with greater talent against lesser competition with far less demand on him he was far more successful?
Or, should we just stick with the scoring ONLY thing.

Last edited:
In retrospect, Frost was in way over his head. He couldn't or wouldn't fix any of the many problems. He got no help from his coaching staff, which was not up to B1G standards. Very few, if any, of that staff has landed a Power Five position. When he claimed that the B1G would have to adapt to his offense, I thought that was a strange thing to say. Turns out, it was a naive claim.
Not saying you, specifically, but its really in vogue for folks to say that they knew at the time Frost said it that it was wrong, BS, etc.

However, not too many of those folks actually were on the record with that point of view when they had a chance to be on the record on HMax in a thread solely dedicated to that quote. There were a few who went all in, a few who cautioned chugging koolaid, and even fewer (about 1) who called SF out. @Huskerthom gets a shout out for rightfully pointing out the word "hope" in the quote that is easily forgotten by those with short attention spans.

I like the fact TO appreciates MR and staff and the work they're putting in.
No high school,no state is under looked. Having Okie and St louis and KC and Texas....Iowa,Colorado, the five hundred mile radius, every HS in Nebraska.
Grinders

In "The Case Against Fickell" section, it starts off saying that he's never been a P5 coach, and that Ohio State would be a potential future match. It seems as though the author forgot that he already coached at Ohio State and didn't really set the world on fire there. Would they really be interested in bringing him back if they had an opening?

Not saying you, specifically, but its really in vogue for folks to say that they knew at the time Frost said it that it was wrong, BS, etc.

However, not too many of those folks actually were on the record with that point of view when they had a chance to be on the record on HMax in a thread solely dedicated to that quote. There were a few who went all in, a few who cautioned chugging koolaid, and even fewer (about 1) who called SF out. @Huskerthom gets a shout out for rightfully pointing out the word "hope" in the quote that is easily forgotten by those with short attention spans.

We do like revising history here... and then repeating it.

There are a lot of comments in that thread that sound like comments being made now with Rhule. I remember similar comments when Riley was hired, too.

Since they are both HC’s in the BIG now which coach will be more successful will be very easy to compare in several years. I will say Fickle did a hell of good job at Cincy after reviewing their recuriting classes imo. Fickle had to coach up a lot players after seeing where most of class rankings landed. Now I suppose it could said he’s not a very good recruiter but he made the most of what he did have.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back