• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Roby Declaring For The NBA Draft While Keeping His College Elgibility For Now

regarding the bold...I wonder how much the "grooming" helps. Khyri Thomas left a year early, got drafted in the 2nd round and has either been D-league or riding Detroit's bench all year. I have to wonder how much development is actually going on with guys that don't actually play. How much do NBA teams really "practice"? Weigh that against actually PLAYING 30 minutes a game for 30-35 games (with a coach that knows what it takes).

That said, Khyri is making $850k for 2 years guaranteed so there's that.

It depends on the player and situation. Danny Green did this process after his junior year at UNC. Got some input, came back to school and still didn't make a team. Pop is friends with Roy Williams and he told Roy what Green needed to work on. He spent a few years in the D league until the Spurs signed him.
If a guy is willing to take constructive criticism and work at improving, it does happen.

I thought Roby announced something new. The part where he says he’s keeping his college eligibility should at the very least add a question mark to the thread title. IMO if there is any question about him getting drafted in 2 rounds, and I think there will be, he’d be a fool not to come back and let a guy who coached in the NBA help him get there.

It depends on the player and situation. Danny Green did this process after his junior year at UNC. Got some input, came back to school and still didn't make a team. Pop is friends with Roy Williams and he told Roy what Green needed to work on. He spent a few years in the D league until the Spurs signed him.
If a guy is willing to take constructive criticism and work at improving, it does happen.
as for THIS process...declaring for draft and getting the input from the NBA scouts...absolutely he is doing the right thing.

It's just the question of what do you do if you are projected low first to 2nd round. Some things simply aren't going to be improved, right? A guy can't get taller for example.

Can a guy improve his outside shooting more effectively on a G-league team/NBA bench? Or is it wiser to do so while going to school and playing in actual games. What if the team needs you to play down low and you'd actually hurt the team heaving up a bunch of 3s? Lots of things for these guys to consider if the feedback is "low 1st or 2nd". There are worse spots to be in as a 20 or 21 year old kid but there's a lot of "noise" around them too.

He is very athletic, but he is 6-9 and headed to a league where there are hundreds of 6-9 guys and most of them will be better shooters than IR at the moment.

I've read that Roby has a 7'3" wingspan. And that's something the NBA takes into account quite a bit. Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo (the Greek Freak) is 6'11" but has a 7'3" wingspan, which makes him play bigger. For comparison, the average male has a wingspan two inches greater than their height. To have a wingspan six inches greater than his height -- as Roby apparently has -- is very attractive to the NBA.

as for THIS process...declaring for draft and getting the input from the NBA scouts...absolutely he is doing the right thing.

It's just the question of what do you do if you are projected low first to 2nd round. Some things simply aren't going to be improved, right? A guy can't get taller for example.

Can a guy improve his outside shooting more effectively on a G-league team/NBA bench? Or is it wiser to do so while going to school and playing in actual games. What if the team needs you to play down low and you'd actually hurt the team heaving up a bunch of 3s? Lots of things for these guys to consider if the feedback is "low 1st or 2nd". There are worse spots to be in as a 20 or 21 year old kid but there's a lot of "noise" around them too.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

If in that situation, he’d be wise to let Fred tune up his shooting and showcase him, IMO. He had several guys at ISU that improved dramatically or at least tightened up their %’s. I didn’t follow the NU team this year, but it sounds to me like Roby would be the clear beneficiary of Hoiball next fall and would likely garner some bigger attention. Even if he needs to play down low, he’d still get lots of 3’s, although you may have just been generalizing there.

Googled hoiberg shooting improvement guard iowa state

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sport...cle_fc1d53ae-982f-11e3-8be9-0019bb2963f4.html

Monte Morris, Dwayne Wade, Kris Dunn, D Rose

All cite shooting improvement working directly with Fred. He’s a technician.

Thinking about THIS; I'm sure Roby would be 'required' to shoot more, if he returns next season. He would benefit immensely from a year under Fred Hoiberg. Hoiberg seems to be well-recognized for improving 'shooters' on his team, as well as a fast-paced game. :thumbsup:

Thinking about THIS; I'm sure Roby would be 'required' to shoot more, if he returns next season. He would benefit immensely from a year under Fred Hoiberg. Hoiberg seems to be well-recognized for improving 'shooters' on his team, as well as a fast-paced game. :thumbsup:

That gif is interesting. Seems like he passed up a lot of offensive opportunities last year. His willingness to be the man next year will be interesting to watch .

But then, There is This!

“I’ve even talked to Coach (Fred) Hoiberg about this, and obviously he wants to coach me, but he said if I’m going to get drafted in the first round he’s going to push me out the door,” Roby said. “Obviously you can’t pass up a first-round grade; that’s a guaranteed contract. But also if I have a good situation in the second round that’s the right fit for me, the right team where I can make an impact right away, that’s something I would look into as well.”
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/roby-has-sights-set-on-nba-after-declaring-for-draft

There are definitely guys in the D league who get more coaching and improve, but they also don't make great money. It all depends on what Roby wants. Does he want a Payday or does he want to be a great NBA player?

Does he want a Payday

Umm...

51684e1d.jpg

I've read that Roby has a 7'3" wingspan. And that's something the NBA takes into account quite a bit. Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo (the Greek Freak) is 6'11" but has a 7'3" wingspan, which makes him play bigger. For comparison, the average male has a wingspan two inches greater than their height. To have a wingspan six inches greater than his height -- as Roby apparently has -- is very attractive to the NBA.

Not questioning that the NBA will find the length appealing, but the NBA also likes skill and talent. IR isn't a great shooter and maybe more importantly, hasn't been a WILLING shooter at NU. Even when Cope went down, IR didn't insert himself into the alpha dog discussion. He took a bigger role, but many on here have expressed frustration with his apparent quiet demeanor and laid back personality.

Comparing him to Giannis is a little much, as that dude is more than willing to take over. In my opinion, IR needs to stay at NU and learn how to be an alpha male....or he will never be what his athleticism says he should be in the NBA.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back