• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Riley was brought here to end this type of loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
If MR can get us to 10-2 this season and I'll be very happy............... That doesn't excuse the debacle last night but it will make it less painful if the overall season turns out decent.

That would be great. Not sure he can, but it certainly is doable. Would be a good start for next year.

Depth issues/talent-our OLine depth killed us in this game; and likely will in next 3games. How exactly is it Riley's fault, who has been here 2 years, that this team does not have as many 4-5 star players as OSU? That our 2nd string QB is a walk on who wouldn't play at any other D1 colleges?

You need to realize that it isn't just the coaches...there is a new scheme and our players are not at the level of OSU, especially with all the injuries we have at this time of year. It happens.

OSU destroyed Okie early this year when both teams were at FULL strength. Okie isn't as bad as that either...every week is different in football. This team doesn't have all the players it needs yet. I'll be interested to see how we fare when Riley has a team full of his recruits, especially the offense at QB. Next year will be closer to that vision with either Tanner Lee or POB at QB.

No one is cutting Riley slack for this loss. It's a big black mark on his record, and, if after 4 years he's been boat-raced a few more times he will be gone.

This. If you are in year five or six and still getting pummeled consistently against the good teams, you don't seem to have what it takes at this level.

That said, last night was many steps back for the defense.

Depth issues/talent-our OLine depth killed us in this game; and likely will in next 3games. How exactly is it Riley's fault, who has been here 2 years, that this team does not have as many 4-5 star players as OSU? That our 2nd string QB is a walk on who wouldn't play at any other D1 colleges?

You need to realize that it isn't just the coaches...there is a new scheme and our players are not at the level of OSU, especially with all the injuries we have at this time of year. It happens.

OSU destroyed Okie early this year when both teams were at FULL strength. Okie isn't as bad as that either...every week is different in football. This team doesn't have all the players it needs yet. I'll be interested to see how we fare when Riley has a team full of his recruits, especially the offense at QB. Next year will be closer to that vision with either Tanner Lee or POB at QB.

Exactly.

Do not yet have the necessary players to game plan against the big boys.

We DO have the necessary players to game plan against mid-tier Big X.

Can't (obviously) just go to the waiver wires.

And in college ball......the now......is later.

Wish we could just go to the waiver wire......sometimes...... for upgrades.

The NFL does ..when they need a player they go to Alabama...and the guy signs even though he has to take a pay cut

Last edited:
With that said........our guys were mere BOYS amongst MEN last night.

They were/are faster, stronger, bigger and BY FAR, more talented to what we have.......for now.

Exactly.

Do not yet have the necessary players to game plan against the big boys.

We DO have the necessary players to game plan against mid-tier Big X.

Can't (obviously) just go to the waiver wires.
We need to improve our recruiting

This year we lose another 6 four stars. We have not made up for our losses in any of MR's recruiting classes. This year looks no different. Our next coach will be starting with absolutely nothing left.

That starts with the attitude towards recruiting. Thankfully that mindset has flipped 180 degrees, and if the stars are aligned so will the results.

I agree. The problem is the results have not improved. So far Bo's worst class (sans his first season) beats every Riley class. He had the stars align this year and so far, we are clinging to a top 25 finish. That will not cut it. THings might change and we might end up with a bunch of great players this class. But right now, we are not getting it done.

I am not trolling to start anything as I have turned the corner on Riley to acceptance. And I know last night had way too many moving parts to explain. But how do the people who slammed the prior coach for this type of loss reconcile the worst loss since 70-10 to Texas Tech that occurred last night? I am looking for civility and hoping we can finish 3-0.
You are correct but don't seem to understand just how horrible the mess MR inherited was...if we don't see even greater improvement (and there HAS been improvement) next year and the year after MR will go down...I don't think that will happen as he's doing great despite last night's setback.

Last edited:

MR is here for his retirement plan, he will step down in a few years with a whole lot more money is his pocket,

Before I post some pro-Riley stuff I want to make sure I understand the format. It seems like we're supposed to say "there are no excuses for last night!!" and then follow that with a list of excuses?

There are legitimate excuses, but frankly, the beatdown was worse than the excuses excuse, so it goes on Riley's permanent record. But it's just one data point. There are contrary ones already too. The full record will be judged after 4-5 years and then ongoing.

Last edited:

There are excuses, but frankly, the beatdown was worse than the excuses excuse, so it goes on Riley's permanent record. But it's just one data point. There are contrary ones already too. The full record will be judged after 4-5 years and then ongoing.

Should and will.

Not before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back