• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ribeye on the Grill

If you have a propane oven/stovetop, you can fire up the stovetop and heat the oven to 300 or so then sear the ribeye in butter in a cast iron pan, then douse the steak in some more butter and put the cast iron in the oven to finish out (rare/med rare doesn't take long in there so don't walk away). It is a quick and easy way to have a great steak when the weather outside is not conducive to firing up a grill.

Anyone and everyone, any help with tips how to grill the perfect ribeye would be appreciated. I heard about the reverse sear on here and wanted to know if anyone has any great secrets. Thank you in advance.
I started reverse searing, but do both.

For something like a giant cowboy ribeye from Sam's. Put it on at 250 degree util 115F for medium rare. That will probably take about an hour.

Before it gets to that, preheat a cast iron skillet on the stove as high as it will go for at least 10 minutes. Throw on a little butter and then sear 1.5 - 2 min per side and thatbshouldnalso bring you up to a 125-130 finish temp.

Benefit is that it will be more evenly cooked and there will be an excellent sear, much of it due to the outside being dry before searing. The slow moisture release will give it more of a dry aged texture.

If I cook regular, I will get the grill up to 550+. And hit it for a good 3-4 minutes per side. If that isn't enough to finish, then I will kill the air in the kamodo or go indirect on a regular grill especially if it starts flaming up.

But the trick here is to also adequately dry the meat first. Put it on a rack in the refrigerator overnight. A wet steak adsorbs most of the energy that goes into searing and will slow down that process.

Here are some 2 lb cowboy's reverse seared.
Screenshot_20240403_082306_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Heavy layer of kosher salt at least 2 hours before cooking (preferably longer)is a must as the salt pulls liquids out of the steak causing a breakdown at a cellular level which makes it noticeably more tender. I also prefer a reverse sear, but i prefer to use a smoker to get to the sear temp and then onto a hot grill for 60 seconds per side. Pull the steaks and LET THEM REST 10 to 15 minutes.

I started reverse searing, but do both.

For something like a giant cowboy ribeye from Sam's. Put it on at 250 degree util 115F for medium rare. That will probably take about an hour.

Before it gets to that, preheat a cast iron skillet on the stove as high as it will go for at least 10 minutes. Throw on a little butter and then sear 1.5 - 2 min per side and thatbshouldnalso bring you up to a 125-130 finish temp.

Benefit is that it will be more evenly cooked and there will be an excellent sear, much of it due to the outside being dry before searing. The slow moisture release will give it more of a dry aged texture.

If I cook regular, I will get the grill up to 550+. And hit it for a good 3-4 minutes per side. If that isn't enough to finish, then I will kill the air in the kamodo or go indirect on a regular grill especially if it starts flaming up.

But the trick here is to also adequately dry the meat first. Put it on a rack in the refrigerator overnight. A wet steak adsorbs most of the energy that goes into searing and will slow down that process.

Here are some 2 lb cowboy's reverse seared.
View attachment 106053
Thank you very much for sharing this. I am going to try it tonight. Quick question people are saying add butter? Doesn't that just burn at 500 degree's? Sorry I am a slow learner.

Thank you very much for sharing this. I am going to try it tonight. Quick question people are saying add butter? Doesn't that just burn at 500 degree's? Sorry I am a slow learner.
You don't have to and doesn't make that much of a difference. It is hitting it so quick, it's just adding some crust. Drop some in the hot pan, just give it a few seconds and then then drop the steak on after it. Plate the steak and spoon on some if you want.

Already great advice in this thread ... One item I personally find super helpful is a very good meat thermometer. I find that there's real variability to your grill temp that can be influenced by several factors. I like to go with a high heat sear on one side to start, usually around 3 minutes. Then I flip it on an indirect method, turning the steak every 3 minutes, checking the temp after the second turn. I'm a big fan of the thermapen.

1712172895904.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back