• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Rest In Peace Joyce Durand - The Sidetrack Band

My younger brother was in Hawaii several years ago and was on a whale watching boat. He spotted a couple wearing Husker gear and started a conversation with them. The Year before this I took him to the sidetrack for his first visit and we had a blast. So he asked them if they had ever been to the sidetrack and heard Fat Joyce sing her vulgar Husker songs.

They simply replied that Joyce was their mother.

RIP Joyce as i had many great evenings listening to you sing.

Sorry to hear about this. One thing I never did during my college years was hit the Sidetrack. Most of my buddies joked about being Sidetrack'n Son of a B!%chs, but for some reason I never made it there. Mentioned this to my wife and she said she knew her, but assumed she would have died years ago. I guess when your 20 years old, everyone over the age of 40 looks like they are ready to kick the bucket.

I saw the band at many venues around the country and never missed seeing Joyce almost every home game for the past 12 years. '01 national championship game at a bar in Pasadena is where I met David Max for the first time. USC game, KSU, KU, Kansas City, Colorado, Minnesota, to name a few. The band played my 40th birthday party in Sioux falls. We were true Sidetrack Sluts.

She always called me on stage to sing American Pie, and would call me or text me at times in the off season just to talk. The hundreds of fans from opposing teams that I dragged into the bar to buy them a beer. It was and still is a game day tradition for me.

Not sure what the future for game days will bring me. I'll still make the drive from Sioux Falls every weekend. I will still go to every game. I will still bar crawl before every game. One thing is for sure, I will toast one to Joyce every Saturday before each home game.

Thank you Joyce, Paul, Johnny, Craig, Pat, Fred, and all of the band members. Thank you for the over 100 game day and night before experiences. Well more than have my Husker life memories were made listening to the band.

God Bless you Joyce. You were a great friend to me and my family. You will be missed and we will meet again some day.

As Lummox knows, I'm also a Sidetrack Slut and have been for about 30 years. Before every home game, I get up and sing a couple of songs with them, like "Who Put The Bomp In The Bomp". And we made several road trips singing with the band, too. Joyce and Paul welcomed my son to play bass guitar in the band often and they came to Omaha to play for my 60th birthday party. My whole family loved going to see the Sidetrack Band perform.

I especially enjoyed it when Joyce put on the boa and sang like Janis Joplin, not to mention Charlotte the Harlot, The Rodeo Song, and of course, the B job song.

Joyce was a wonderful woman who lived life to the hilt and made many, many people happy with her brand of humor, wit, and musical ability. I feel so fortunate to have known her and know my life is better for it in so many ways. She was one of a kind and we will never again see anyone like her again.

Heaven is rockin' tonight. I love you and miss you, Joyce!

I think the last time I saw her was maybe 3 years ago and she had just celebrated a birthday. I want to say she was 85+ then? Miss the old, stinky, sticky, vile Sidetrack bar. Pine Sol soaked bathrooms—-to kill the puke from students the night before. :)
She turned 84 last month.

We experimented with an outdoor tailgate the week before the season started at our bar about 5 years ago. It was an outdoor event and had Paul and Joyce play. It was like 100 degrees out and we had them under a shade cover. I just remember running every fan we could find on her as we didn't want to be the bar she died at of heat exhaustion.

This really bums me out. I had been thinking of how much people would be reJOYCING when they returned to the crowded bars, full stadium. Now, we will raise our glasses to her. I cannot tell you how many people we took to see that band over the years.

Lots of good memories! They were my pregame or post game staple for many years. I think I was permanently banned there for five times!

So many fun memories of Joyce and the Side Track Bar. A legendary story from many years ago still comes up about once a year with me and the old gang. Joyce used to encourage people to write notes requesting songs or whatever other messages people wanted to share. I sent up a note and Joyce says, hey everyone be quiet for a minute. She then says, Robb K, where is Robb K. Robb K can you stand up please? So my buddy Robb K stands up waving and smiling...........then Joyce says, Robb K it says here that you have a short wiener. Needless to say the place busted out in laughter and my buddy turned bright red. She was a dandy. RIP Joyce!

As Lummox knows, I'm also a Sidetrack Slut and have been for about 30 years. Before every home game, I get up and sing a couple of songs with them, like "Who Put The Bomp In The Bomp". And we made several road trips singing with the band, too. Joyce and Paul welcomed my son to play bass guitar in the band often and they came to Omaha to play for my 60th birthday party. My whole family loved going to see the Sidetrack Band perform.

I especially enjoyed it when Joyce put on the boa and sang like Janis Joplin, not to mention Charlotte the Harlot, The Rodeo Song, and of course, the B job song.

Joyce was a wonderful woman who lived life to the hilt and made many, many people happy with her brand of humor, wit, and musical ability. I feel so fortunate to have known her and know my life is better for it in so many ways. She was one of a kind and we will never again see anyone like her again.

In 2009 I ask Max, at the tailgate, if Bucky was going to be here so I could met you. He said unlikely. They can’t drag him out of the Sidetrack.

Rumor has it I am a Sidetrack Slut also.........although I may have initiated a few Sidetrack Virgins in my day. :) Bucky and I had many good times there.......some legal.......some ???? :) I feel like I lost a family member. Joyce taught us all....live life to the hilt.........it's a helluva a ride!!! Not sure I how survived, but my fondest memories of my years in Lincoln involved Joyce, Paul, the band and Sidetracks and of course, my brother in crime Bucky!!!

So many memories of taking friends here in the KC area up to Lincoln to experience their first Husker game weekend. So many times we would make it into the Sidetrack they would look around see a few upside down Margaritas being poured into whoever and then when Joyce started to sing they were like "OMG"! Great lady and great people......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back