• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Requesting Prayers for my Wife (updated 2023 - see p. 78)

I wanted to post an update about Steph as well. Today she had an interview with a journalist from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, about her ordeal with Covid. Also, she got approval to continue with her pulmonary rehab for another three months, which she was hoping for.

Steph has learned that if she experiences stress, her long-hauler symptoms will flare up. With all we’ve been going through with Mavi, on Tuesday she had vertigo for the first time since she was in the rehab facility. Sometimes she will feel unsteady when she gets up to walk. She’s had inflammation in her body, and shortness of breath. In Tuesday’s rehab session, she was trying to climb a mountain on the treadmill (Go Steph, always pushing harder). Her SpO2 dropped, and she had to take oxygen via cannula for a while. Her body wants to go but her lungs won’t let her. She was feeling a lot better after her massage yesterday morning, but that was all lost with the added stress of putting Maverick down. God willing, things will get a little more back to normal over the coming days.

I wanted to post an update about Steph as well. Today she had an interview with a journalist from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, about her ordeal with Covid. Also, she got approval to continue with her pulmonary rehab for another three months, which she was hoping for.

Steph has learned that if she experiences stress, her long-hauler symptoms will flare up. With all we’ve been going through with Mavi, on Tuesday she had vertigo for the first time since she was in the rehab facility. Sometimes she will feel unsteady when she gets up to walk. She’s had inflammation in her body, and shortness of breath. In Tuesday’s rehab session, she was trying to climb a mountain on the treadmill (Go Steph, always pushing harder). Her SpO2 dropped, and she had to take oxygen via cannula for a while. Her body wants to go but her lungs won’t let her. She was feeling a lot better after her massage yesterday morning, but that was all lost with the added stress of putting Maverick down. God willing, things will get a little more back to normal over the coming days.
That stress brings her right back to her bad state.
Lowers her immune system and does so many other things not good for any body, especially a recovering one.
Reminds of the saying,one day in bed takes three to get back to where you were.
I'll keep on praying for her healing and strength.
Bless you both

Oh Elwood, I’m so sorry, when Jake crossed the rainbow bridge, we had him cremated and buried him under his favorite palm tree where he would always lie to get out of the sunshine.
Prayers for you and Steph and for Steph’s continued recovery journey.
OK, my phone is screwing up. Thought I triple clicked and posted three times; now my original reply is gone. Let's try again...

If we lived "at Home" in Nebraska, I would have buried Maverick in a peaceful spot under some trees. But who knows how long we'll live here, so we had him cremated. In addition to the urn, we're getting a keychain with his paw print on it, and a little compartment that can hold some ashes. So he can continue to go on rides with us.

Who knows how long we'll continue to get reminders of him (they're everywhere). Woke up this morning, went out in the hall and looked into the guest bathroom, expecting to see him sleeping on the tile floor. At one point this afternoon, I caught myself almost asking Steph, "Where's Mavi?"

View attachment 68272

Maverick took his last breath at 0032 EDT (12:32 am). The picture was taken at 12:06 am, in the quiet room at UGA Vet Teaching Hospital. He’s wearing the prayer quilt that was made for Steph when she was in the hospital. Mavi actually looks pretty good in that picture, though what you can’t see is that Steph had been trying to get him to look up by repeatedly calling his name. He had been getting less and less responsive to stimuli. You could tell, much of the time, that in his mind he knew what we were saying, but he couldn’t make the connection from his brain to his muscles. Lately, in order to get him to go outside, we had to coax him with “high value” jerky treats; the last couple days, even that wasn’t much motivation for him. Often lately, he couldn’t make it down the hall without stopping to lean his right side against the wall. You could tell, even to the end, that he wanted to please us. But the “cares of this world” really didn’t motivate him so much anymore.

Last night we took him up to Steph’s sister’s before we went to UGA. Maverick was able to spend a little more time with his “cousin” Sunny. He got so excited to go out into the back yard to explore; unfortunately he stumbled going down the five steps to the back yard. So sad to see him lose control of his legs. But he slowly made it out to the base of the retaining wall, sniffing and checking every drain for chipmunks.

I cut some hair off of his ears (his fur is so soft), and from his tail, as a keepsake. We took some paw prints, and the vet center was going to take a clay paw print as well. We gave our consent for a necropsy; hopefully they will be able to gain some knowledge that will help someone in the future.

I am so very sorry having put our beloved Daisy down 6 weeks ago I share your grief.

You gave him a wonderful home and life and I have no doubt he appreciated it and loved you guys a million

God Bless you

Last edited:

Here's something new and interesting. Steph didn't remember anything that happened between early in her hospitalization (about 10/21) and midway through the LTACH (mid-December). That's probably good... But so many people who have been unconscious in the ICU talk about their strange memories. I wondered if "Covid brain" had anything to do with it. But yesterday she said she remembered someone saying

"Stephanie, can you hear me?"

at some point. She doesn't remember which facility it was in. The recall of that memory kinda freaked her out.

I wonder if the stress of losing Maverick has triggered something in a new area of her brain. Stay tuned.

EVK sorry to hear about Maverick am still keeping you and Steph in prayers

I am so very sorry having put our beloved Daisy down 6 weeks ago I share your grief.

You gave him a wonderful home and life and I have no doubt he appreciated it and loved you guys a million

God Bless you
One thing we most definitely share. Putting down, or losing your family pet is horrible. Bring a grown man to tears. Blessings to all whom have dealt with it. It’s just awful. I share your sorrows.

I swore I wouldn’t get another dog, and yet, now I have Teddy, a 10 month old golden doodle miniature. 20 lbs and really lean and strong.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back