• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Reflecting on Ritchie Incognito

1. I wasn't being "sensitive." I asked an open-ended question about something that you could have been implying, so I asked for clarification.
  2. I started this post, and it was specifically to talk about players from rough backgrounds and/or social-psychological issues, such as Incognito and Phillips. Unfortunately, this isn't a topic that is likely to be going away from Nebraska sports. If the moderators think that this is unrelated, so be it, but your attempt to leave the conversation with a righteous parting shot doesn't really add to the discussion.
  3. Teacher salaries have risen across most of the northern Great Plains, but it hasn't done so evenly, and it hasn't always kept up with the rapid rise in the cost of living, specifically the costs of health insurance, which is often no longer covered, or carries a much higher deductible.
If you know some teachers whose salaries are knocking it out of the park, congratulations! You probably live in a nice neighborhood! Do you think that the teachers out in the Sand Hills are knocking down $63K/year?

Not sure where your hostility comes from but you seem to struggle with a viewpoint other than your own. You make some assumptions about where I live. But yes, if they have experience and grad credits they are making that. Starting salaries for small towns (class C and D schools) for 22 year olds with a bachelor's degree in 2018 were $37k plus great benefits. In the more urban areas, upper 40s as stated earlier. You can believe it or not but I obtain tax returns as part of my job, plus my daughter interviewed for teaching positions across the state. Nebraska teachers are now pretty well paid, for which I'm glad.

Most people who don’t work in education have no idea how difficult life is for many kids today. Instead of helping kids schools are continuing to push test after test,and labeling kids below basic, below basic or proficient. Good teachers are leaving the profession in droves.

I sure don't want to get in the middle of this discussion but the one thing I have a little issue with is the bold part. Schools are doing what they are told by the Federal government and state government without, for the most part getting the money necessary to cover mandates. I am more the middle ground, as I am on the school board in my home town. I see both sides to the teacher story, I think they are well compensated, but wish more could be done. And yes public schools in areas that have the means to pay well, pay well, those that don't, can't. It is not fair, but not sure what can be done.

Not sure where your hostility comes from but you seem to struggle with a viewpoint other than your own. You make some assumptions about where I live. But yes, if they have experience and grad credits they are making that. Starting salaries for small towns (class C and D schools) for 22 year olds with a bachelor's degree in 2018 were $37k plus great benefits. In the more urban areas, upper 40s as stated earlier. You can believe it or not but I obtain tax returns as part of my job, plus my daughter interviewed for teaching positions across the state. Nebraska teachers are now pretty well paid, for which I'm glad.

My first teaching job was in a D2 school in SE Nebraska. This was in 1990 my first contract was for 16,375 I remember. With all the coaching I did, which was the whole year, I think I made close to 19,000 for the year. But I had to chip in 125.00 per month on health insurance. I was taking home about 1050.00 a month. My wife graduated at mid year and got a job at a home for people with mental disabilities in Beatrice. She was making around 7.25 an hour and bringing home a little over 300.00 every 2 weeks. We thought we were rich after living on a 1000.00 a month for 5 months. We moved to a new school the next year where we both got jobs.

The last year I taught was 2011. I had a masters degree plus 27 hours and 15 years of experience at the school. With my coaching and my benefit money I was making around 72,000 a year, which is pretty good I think. My wife made considerably less at a smaller rural school, but we got full family insurance as part of her benefit.

I guess my point is that if you play the game in Nebraska and get hours and do some coaching after 10-12 years of teaching you can make a pretty decent living.

We now live in Idaho and run a branch of my wife's family business. I manage it. My wife got bored and took a teaching job in the town we live four years ago. Talk about poor salaries, she makes about 5K less than she did in Nebraska and they gave her all her years of experience. She taught for 18 years in the same small town school in Nebraska. It was a good school with good kids and mostly parents that still care about what is going on in their kids lives. Teaching in the town we live in now in Idaho has been a real eye opener to her. She really didn't think their was so much poverty, lack of motivation, lack of parental involvement, etc in schools. She had just never seen it to the degree we have it now in the school she teaches at.

I don't even want to get into what is wrong with schools. That is its own thread. So many kids have no chance because their home life is so Texased up.

I sure don't want to get in the middle of this discussion but the one thing I have a little issue with is the bold part. Schools are doing what they are told by the Federal government and state government without, for the most part getting the money necessary to cover mandates. I am more the middle ground, as I am on the school board in my home town. I see both sides to the teacher story, I think they are well compensated, but wish more could be done. And yes public schools in areas that have the means to pay well, pay well, those that don't, can't. It is not fair, but not sure what can be done.
Unfunded federal mandates will bankrupt schools. School funding needs to be reworked rural schools are getting a raw deal it’s terribly unfair that some schools are underfunded while others seem to have everything they need. I applaud any school director who gives their time to improve their schools. Our federal government gives districts just over 7% of their budget they need to get out of the education business.
Over the past three years teacher salaries have flattened while more and more layers of administration are added. Special education mandates have gotten out of hand with unessary federal mandates. How much time does your school board spend on attempts to improve instruction or understanding curriculum? More than likely no where near as much time as you’d like.

And for those who don't like to count the benefits when looking at an overall pay package, try working in jobs that don't have any. I pay $21,120 per year in premium for my wife and my health plan, with a $6,000 deductible, $7900 max. out of pocket cost, and no dental or vision.

It actually sounds like YOU are the one getting hosed here. Sorry to read this.

One of the teachers did verify what you said about school administrator pay. She had told me the only way to get a good pay check in the education system was to get a Masters Degree, get out of teaching and into school administration.

I work at a large university as a coordinator of a teacher education program, and I can say you are 100% correct with this. New York State won't even touch anyone without a Masters degree (at least outside of NYC). Just like a lot of other professions, the people actually "in the trenches" aren't the people bringing home the big bucks, and it's unfortunate. School admins make much more than teachers, and always have.

This past fall I was teaching middle school classes, and whenever a student was sent out of my classroom, I'd document it for the admin and then try to contact the parents to let them know what happened. We'd have email addresses, phone numbers, cell numbers, you name it, but at one point in October I had something like 12 or 13 consecutive students whose parents either a) had their phone or cell disconnected (most common), b) didn't answer the phone or return messages, or c) had email messages that came back as invalid addresses. The only option would be mailing addresses, and those usually weren't any better. In some cases I had to ask the student how to get a hold of his/her parent(s), and they often didn't know. I'm working at a very small school in a very rural area, so you'd assume that it shouldn't be that hard to track down parents/guardians. You'd be wrong. The number of consecutive families that couldn't be contacted isn't a large number, but when it's understood that those numbers and addresses had just been updated 2 months earlier, it's a mind-boggling amount of unpredictability and transience and (in many cases) negligence and irresponsibility.
Everyone thinks it’s the big city schools that have all the problems. If the average parent could see what goes on daily in some schools they’d be shocked.It’s impossible to not take these problems home with you if you are a caring teacher.

My post was factual. That's what teachers in Lincoln make. They are well paid. So are most teachers throughout Nebraska. I'm sorry that isn't the case apparently in South Dakota. I just was involved in a case with a 12 year teacher with only a bachelor's degree whose salary was $63,000, in Sarpy County. So you're getting hosed it sounds like. And for those who don't like to count the benefits when looking at an overall pay package, try working in jobs that don't have any. I pay $21,120 per year in premium for my wife and my health plan, with a $6,000 deductible, $7900 max. out of pocket cost, and no dental or vision.
It actually sounds like YOU are the one getting hosed here. Sorry to read this.
Life as the owner of a small business. A lot of people are unaware of such travails.

This is so true. And it is unfair. Employees of a large business gets a benefit, and the company gets to write it off on the taxes as an expense. Farmers, like a small business owner, has to use after tax money to pay for health insurance. A farmer I know said every time the government tried to change health care, his premium costs went up and the insurance benefits went down. He said "Please just leave it alone as it is now, because everything that is being done to help just makes it worse".

There are better ways to do this, but most elected officials will never figure it out, because there is too much money involved.

This is so true. And it is unfair. Employees of a large business gets a benefit, and the company gets to write it off on the taxes as an expense. Farmers, like a small business owner, has to use after tax money to pay for health insurance. A farmer I know said every time the government tried to change health care, his premium costs went up and the insurance benefits went down. He said "Please just leave it alone as it is now, because everything that is being done to help just makes it worse".

There are better ways to do this, but most elected officials will never figure it out, because there is too much money involved.
When the government tries to "fix" something. They always pick the worst way.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back