• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked RB Terrell Newby To Decide Soon: Update Nike Air Strike: Very Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is still Nebraska. Marlon Lucky wasn't a midwest kid. Rex Burkhead, Aaron Green, Ameer Abdullah, Lawrence Phillips, Thunder Collins, etc...... Nebraska has always recruited nationally. Location shouldn't be a barrier for us getting consideration from 4 & 5 star RBs given our history with our backs.

History changes...we aren't having trouble getting secondary recruits and DTs right now....until our offense proves otherwise it will be a little tougher than other positions.

How quickly we forget that we reeled in Heard and then Green in back to back years....both high 4 stars....

It is early in one recruiting year....to quote Colin Cowherd when people over-react "you're hyperventilating, go upstairs from your moms basement and down a hot pocket". I am obviously joking with that comment and it is directed at no one...just having fun that it is extremely early...

This looks like a kid who is looking for a place holder so he is assured of a scholarship while he looks around....happens all of the time....

We've had it done to us....Debo Jones comes to mind....

If folks are starting to worry this early then I might just take a break from this forum....relax people recruiting is a long haul....with a lot of ups 'n' downs...we are in good shape and are going to be okay....

Last edited:
Location is HUGE so don't fool yourself....

This is still Nebraska. Marlon Lucky wasn't a midwest kid. Rex Burkhead, Aaron Green, Ameer Abdullah, Lawrence Phillips, Thunder Collins, etc...... Nebraska has always recruited nationally. Location shouldn't be a barrier for us getting consideration from 4 & 5 star RBs given our history with our backs.

Also remember that watching and evaluating film is a lengthy process for not only the coaches, but the recruiting sites. A lot of times they start ranking the kids that are committed first and then as camps start coming in and more offers start going out, they shuffle, dramatically. So labeling which kids are committed somewhere from the rankings this early doesn't mean a lot. Just because we go down our board a bit now doesn't mean the kid won't end up being better than other guys ranked higher than him now...

AKA Jordan Westerkamp

Another reason to not panic, the Rivals250 has been out for not that long and it has already shuffled to add 20 new people....
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1370346

Yup well said....and as you said alot of kids start to surface....and some like Alexander (Class of 2012) don't get notice until late because of school transfers....etc. etc....

And some kids, such as Fuller, play the process for all its worth to boot...we are going to be fine.....heck look how we snagged Cross late last year when we did not intend to take a RB....and got a real gem in my opinion.....its a long process that has to playout...and going into panic mode in late May is not a good thing....

Also remember that watching and evaluating film is a lengthy process for not only the coaches, but the recruiting sites. A lot of times they start ranking the kids that are committed first and then as camps start coming in and more offers start going out, they shuffle, dramatically. So labeling which kids are committed somewhere from the rankings this early doesn't mean a lot. Just because we go down our board a bit now doesn't mean the kid won't end up being better than other guys ranked higher than him now...

AKA Jordan Westerkamp

Another reason to not panic, the Rivals250 has been out for not that long and it has already shuffled to add 20 new people....
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1370346

This looks like a kid who is looking for a place holder so he is assured of a scholarship while he looks around....happens all of the time....

We've had it done to us....Debo Jones comes to mind....

If folks are starting to worry this early then I might just take a break from this forum....relax people recruiting is a long haul....with a lot of ups 'n' downs...we are in good shape and are going to be okay....

To me...Newby's deal is quite a bit different than Jones.

I think there is a bit of a difference between worry and expressing concern. I agree with you in that it's too early to worry. Way to early. Long time to go. But I don't think it's unfounded for someone to say we aren't sitting in a good position at a couple of positions on our board.

I agree that was just an example....Tyler Gabbert would have been a better example....he indeed did use us as a place holder....

I'm neither concerned or worried....its late May....alot of stuff will happen between now and Feb 2013...and we both know that....in an ideal world to sow everyone up early would be great however, Nebraska does not have a pool like Texas and Ohio State (for example) have to pick from within state thus it becomes that much harder to recruit...location is a huge detrement for Nebraska and this staff has done a GREAT job over coming it.....

I disagree I think its way to early....but then again I don't want to go down that path again and have another thread derailed....its a matter of opinion...and not worth wee-weeing all over for pages....

To me...Newby's deal is quite a bit different than Jones.

I think there is a bit of a difference between worry and expressing concern. I agree with you in that it's too early to worry. Way to early. Long time to go. But I don't think it's unfounded for someone to say we aren't sitting in a good position at a couple of positions on our board.

As Red Reign touched on, his commit to Cal will be a place-holder. They've already got their first RB commit as I said in OP, he's making sure he gets the second slot if he wants it. He'll still be taking an official to Lincoln in the Fall. Definition of a soft-commit.

Yup so we are far from out of this horse race...

As Red Reign touched on, his commit to Cal will be a place-holder. They've already got their first RB commit as I said in OP, he's making sure he gets the second slot if he wants it. He'll still be taking an official to Lincoln in the Fall. Definition of a soft-commit.

Apparently Newby had a chat with Rich Fisher and has decided to postpone his visit. Says he doesn't want to commit before seeing all of his options.

Interesting. :)

I agree that was just an example....Tyler Gabbert would have been a better example....he indeed did use us as a place holder....

I'm neither concerned or worried....its late May....alot of stuff will happen between now and Feb 2013...and we both know that....in an ideal world to sow everyone up early would be great however, Nebraska does not have a pool like Texas and Ohio State (for example) have to pick from within state thus it becomes that much harder to recruit...location is a huge detrement for Nebraska and this staff has done a GREAT job over coming it.....

I disagree I think its way to early....but then again I don't want to go down that path again and have another thread derailed....its a matter of opinion...and not worth wee-weeing all over for pages....

Agree that a lot of stuff will happen between now and February. I don't expect us to have this class wrapped by May 31st, but my point was that it'd be alot more re-assuring if we had a few more guys on our offensive board who even appeared as realistic options. The longer we wait, the harder it becomes to develop relationships and the more likely we are to start stretching. There is still a ton of time left...but that doesn't mean we are sitting in an ideal spot.

Last edited:

We are doing fine....this staff has a knack of building good relationships....just look at what all most every guy who signed with Nebraska in 2012 said....oh and it did not hurt us with the likes of Curry and Cross who we built a solid bond with in a short amount of time....

I'l say it again its May 30....8 months plus a few days until signing day no need for any worry or alarm....we will be fine....

Agree that a lot of stuff will happen between now and February. I don't expect us to have this class wrapped by May 31st, but my point was that it'd be alot more re-assuring if we had a few more guys on our offensive board who even appeared as realistic options. The longer we wait, the harder it becomes to develop relationships and the more likely we are to start stretching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back