• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RB John Bivens finally onboard "N": Update: On Campus

I am very interested to see where he is at physically. It has been almost 2 years since the knee injury, so structurally he should be just about all the way back. What we don't know is how close he will be to what he was. Will he be like Adrian Peterson and come back just as strong/quick as before, or will he be more like Bobby Newcombe and never quite be the same. He has also been away from football for over a year now, so I'm sure it will take some work to get back into "football shape". The good news is he can take a redshirt year and hopefully, eventually contribute, all without using up a scholarship.

It's hard not to root for a kid like this that really wants to come to Nebraska, had a ton of talent, and is trying to create his own comeback story.

Walk-On 2021 class

Horrific knee I jury thus the two year delay and lack of scholarship

Before the injury a solid 4 star recruit

If gets anywhere near what he was he would be a nice pickup

I think folks need to pump the breaks thinking this is the kid before the injury

If we are blessed and he gets close to what he was our faith in him will pay off

Even if he becomes a depth RB great story none the less

Oh and welcome!!
Not that it really matters, but wouldn't he be a 2020 walk-on recruit? I mean, he is planning to be here this fall and not waiting until fall of 2021, right?

Last edited:

Not that it really matters, but wouldn't he be a 2020 walk-on recruit? I mean, he is planning to be here this fall and not waiting until fall of 2021, right?

That is the plan yes. So yeah that makes sense. Would assume he RS so they can ascertain the knee and where it is at and what needs to be done for him to play

Watching his Junior Hudl film (is he even old enough to drive a car?) he looks very composed, love his hands on those back field pitches, he'd do well running the option. :Cool: Looks to have good hands and his ability to make people miss in open field is almost reflexive the way he moves his hips. Really anxious to work with our strength and conditioning, glad he's finally here.

I am very interested to see where he is at physically. It has been almost 2 years since the knee injury, so structurally he should be just about all the way back. What we don't know is how close he will be to what he was. Will he be like Adrian Peterson and come back just as strong/quick as before, or will he be more like Bobby Newcombe and never quite be the same. He has also been away from football for over a year now, so I'm sure it will take some work to get back into "football shape". The good news is he can take a redshirt year and hopefully, eventually contribute, all without using up a scholarship.

It's hard not to root for a kid like this that really wants to come to Nebraska, had a ton of talent, and is trying to create his own comeback story.
All what you said plus will he be"healed and physically in shape to play) or will he be like Stephenson (sp?) who came to us something like this (though a 4* RB) and was in such bad shape, that he basically "out-shaped" himself off the team, though he did return few KO's. (Which I saw in person and it was painful to watch).

Last edited:
All what you said plus will he be"healed and physically in shape to play) or will he be like Stephenson (sp?) who came to us something like this (though a 4* RB) and was in such bad shape, that he basically "out-shaped" himself off the team, though he did return few KO's. (Which I saw in person and it was painful to watch).

I think the difference here is that Stevenson was a little entitled, while Bivens seems to just be grateful for the chance to prove himself. And this one doesn't cost us a scholly.

I think the difference here is that Stevenson was a little entitled, while Bivens seems to just be grateful for the chance to prove himself. And this one doesn't cost us a scholly.
Definitely can agree with that. When I saw Stevenson run back a few KO's in a game I attended, it reminded me of what I would look like running back a KO. And to give you a clue what that would look like, I need a calendar to time my 40 time. :nod:

I think this is a steal, given no scholly given. We do have some other "reclamation" projects on scholly. Hope he does well, heck even Marcus Dupree came back from bad knee

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back