• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RB John Bivens finally onboard "N": Update: On Campus

I’ve been hopeful this young man could recover well enough to play anywhere. I’m glad he choose to stick with NU. I hope his story has a fairytale ending. Definitely one to watch.

Honestly if he is a depth back at this point in time it would be a plus. IF he is able to overcome the serious nature of his knee injury so much the better . Our coaches stayed with him and he repaid the loyalty and I think that will drive him to give every thing he has to Nebraska. I for one will root for him.

Last edited:
I read a lot of concern about recovery from injury, loss of speed, being able to contribute to the RB backfield, etc. My concern is he didn't qualify in 2019 and there's no solid information on what he did since that time. Can he now qualify academically and, if so, has he gained the maturity to attack the classwork with the same intensity he is expected to exhibit on the field ?

I read a lot of concern about recovery from injury, loss of speed, being able to contribute to the RB backfield, etc. My concern is he didn't qualify in 2019 and there's no solid information on what he did since that time. Can he now qualify academically and, if so, has he gained the maturity to attack the classwork with the same intensity he is expected to exhibit on the field ?

He will be 20 once he arrives and I would assume he has his academics in order before he walks on. He is not getting in if he does not. Assumption at this point is that he has done so.

Your argument could be used for a lot of kids. Then again you have kids like No Berry who struggled to get in and graduated on time with a GPA over 3.0

2019 is two years ago and a lot has changed in that time.

Walk-On 2021 class

Horrific knee I jury thus the two year delay and lack of scholarship

Before the injury a solid 4 star recruit

If gets anywhere near what he was he would be a nice pickup

I think folks need to pump the breaks thinking this is the kid before the injury

If we are blessed and he gets close to what he was our faith in him will pay off

Even if he becomes a depth RB great story none the less

Oh and welcome!!
Pleasure to be aboard and I appreciated all your insight over the past 10+ years.

He will be 20 once he arrives and I would assume he has his academics in order before he walks on. He is not getting in if he does not. Assumption at this point is that he has done so.

Your argument could be used for a lot of kids. Then again you have kids like No Berry who struggled to get in and graduated on time with a GPA over 3.0

2019 is two years ago and a lot has changed in that time.
I think his love for the game, the loyalty shown, well, he grew up and understands things better.
If his speed returns, a very nice pickup.

Yes

Very rare you can get someone with Bivens' upside as a walkon. Really no risk here for NU. It would be great to see Bivens play well enough to earn a scholarship in 1-2 years. It was a long road, but I'm glad he ended up a Husker!

I hope you're correct Red Reign. I'd be very pleased to have him be a significant contributor on the field and a solid 3.0 gpa in the classroom.

He is cleared. In student directory. Just waiting to enroll

Last edited:

He is cleared. In student directory. Just waiting to enroll

At this point, his determination, his vision (not football, but life view), and his heart make me very excited to see him as a university student and member of our football team. I salute anyone who overcomes obstacles in life and he certainly has. All those traits will be tested as a student and walk-on. I hope he contributes to our team, but if he graduates with a degree from UNL I will raise a glass to him and forever look upon him as a hero in this world, regardless of what he does on the field for our football team. Here's to you John Bivens, and to a successful career as a student athlete at UNL!

He didn't qualify academically in 2019. Don't even walk-ons need to qualify to practice etc.? How does a student do that without JC route? Did he go back to high school or re-take ACT/SAT to fix things?

Since it sounds like he didn't take any school anywhere (which would have started his clock), I'm guessing that he just worked on his ACT/SAT score. The lower the GPA, the higher the testing score needed. Since he didn't do anything to raise his GPA by taking additional classes somewhere, all that leaves is the ACT/SAT score. That is usually the more difficult route to take to qualify, but it does save his eligibility.

I've been periodically checking on this kid to see where he was going to end up. I knew he was really high on Nebraska and there was talk of him enrolling in school but joining the team late. He hasn't had any updates or much of a social media presence for the last year, so apparently he was just focusing on his rehab and getting qualified. I'm rooting for him to achieve whatever level of success he can. After tearing his ACL, MCL, & PCL, I think he has already accomplished a lot just to make it here.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back