• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Question for ***

No idea as I really haven’t researched that at all, but science says 1-2 pounds per month that you can gain of muscle. I wouldn’t argue with someone if they said they gained 2-3 pounds per month no matter how tall they are. But if any height of person claims 20 pounds in 2 months, it’s impossible.

I could subscribe to the taller you are the more you could put on, it takes longer to see the results for a tall person a lot of times too. Where this all comes up is a staff person saying it, or media guides showing a 30 pound weight gain in an offseason, if either is true it’s the wrong kind of weight. Lattimer on ‘The Program’ couldn’t even get that done in a fictional movie while cheating with steroids.
I knew a guy while I was in the Navy, he was in the Marines, who put on 90 lbs in one year. He was juicing and actually got kicked out because of it.

I knew a guy while I was in the Navy, he was in the Marines, who put on 90 lbs in one year. He was juicing and actually got kicked out because of it.
Yep the Corps tends to frown on that. They do not even want you getting that big naturally. I knew one kid who was just a gym rat. He built his over 8 years. Used to work out an hour in the morning, an hour at lunch and 2 more at night. He took in huge amounts of calories. I had a party at my house and he at 6 full /overflowing plates of food. Then asked to take more home. He was 6'2" tall weighed 260#. The most impressive thing. (which I would not believe if I had not seen it in person) He had a 24" neck and a 26" waist. He was just unnaturally built. Anyway, There are weight limits based on your height. These can be waved if you body fat is low enough. Even though he met the low body fat %. The Corps determined that on a prolonged deployment he would have issues as there would not be a way for him to maintain enough food to maintain his body.

Last edited:

There’s actually a bit of a debate that was going on up there. For example, we used to have our top squat maxes when we were winning national titles be 600 pounds or so. Now we are touting guys squatting 700+. So wheres the happy medium of lifting heavy to develop psychological advantages and an actual max?

I think you’ll continue to see them highlight big gains from individuals, but maybe not give out the top5 like they used to. Tho I think that would be the way to go.

I just found this site but no new records shown on it since 2001!!!?

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=6076

This one shows newer records:
https://admin.xosn.com/pdf9/5006607.pdf?SPSID=183&SPID=41&DB_OEM_ID=100&

Last edited:
Yep the Corps tends to frown on that. They do not even want you getting that big naturally. I knew one kid who was just a gym rat. He built his over 8 years. Used to work out an hour in the morning, an hour at lunch and 2 more at night. He took in huge amounts of calories. I had a party at my house and he at 6 full /overflowing plates of food. Then asked to take more home. He was 6'2" tall weighed 260#. The most impressive thing. (which I would not believe if I had not seen it in person) He had a 24" neck and a 26" waist. He was just unnaturally built. Anyway, There are weight limits based on your height. These can be waved if you body fat is low enough. Even though he met the low body fat %. The Corps determined that on a prolonged deployment he would have issues as there would not be a way for him to maintain enough food to maintain his body.
A 26” waist? No one should lift that much in elementary school.

Fwiw, as a coach in both football and basketball at the high school level, I have always tried to do the opposite. I want opposing basketball teams to assume my "6'3" Center" is really an inch or two shorter, so that if he's actually 6'5" it tends to be a jolt to their system. All that I have to do to make that happen is measure without shoes and socks, and tell the guys ahead of time that we'll always round down to the closest whole inch. Ditto for weights. The one exception for saying that a player's weight is more than it is would be the unusual number of small-framed 105 lb freshman football players that I've had. In a small school we need everyone to go out, and the one group of kids that is incredibly conscious about their height and weight are the little guys who haven't yet hit puberty but want to play. As long as I can help it, I'll never have a football player under 105 lb, regardless of what the scale says. Some of those kids are beasts a few years later, so I don't want to discourage any of them away by being embarrassed whenever someone looks at the program.

We never got measured once for the program. All our info was made up. I was 35 before I hit my program weight my Sr. year of football. But I made it and have been maintaining it since.

This is what I hate when we get on this topic. That’s where people go with it. “Well, why would they lie ***?” “You are calling the coaches liars!”

All I really try to do is point out what is factual and what isn’t. Things like a media member adding up the pounds we gained via media guide to substantiate things. A coach quoting 20 pounds of muscle gain in 2 months. Call it whatever you want, I just point out where things are off. The most recent one that has frustrated me is where media members and even fans have really ran with the “We are getting rid of soft-tissue injuries now!” And I just cringe, because we had the worst season-ending injuries in 2018 that I can remember. There’s a difference between not talking about things, and things not happening. Again, just such an excellent marketing job.

I really like the changes they made to this winter conditioning cycle tho. Things we “poo-poo’d“ for 2018 we are incorporating into this offseason. Not sure if that’s due to the injuries or not, but I’m damn glad to see it.

***< some posters just like pouring gas on the fire and jumping back just far enough to see the flames but not to close to get burned.

***< some posters just like pouring gas on the fire and jumping back just far enough to see the flames but not to close to get burned.
Others just like acknowledging that someone started a fire, only to see the backpedaling denials soon to follow. Fun to see someone say the coaches are lying to us, but then say that doesn't mean they are liars...lol.

Last edited:

A 26” waist? No one should lift that much in elementary school.

That's pretty damn funny :) there was a time in my mid 20's when I was really thin and trained for a bench press competition. My waist was 28 inches and I am 5'7". I weighed 144lbs. I never want to be that thin again, it was unhealthy. I managed to press 215 with a full 3 second pause. Probably could have done more if I hadn't started lower.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back