• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Battle Update

If you had to predict right now, who will be our starting QB in the fall?

• Tanner Lee

Votes: 91 84.3%
  • Patrick O'Brien

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Tristan Gebbia or Andrew Bunch

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I remember during Mike Riley's first spring practice here he said something to the affect of, after he called his first QB running play here at Nebraska he laughed a little bit, because he couldn't recall calling a play involving a QB designed to run with the ball before.

Again, that's not a direct quote, if someone finds it that'd be great. I know he likes a drop back, pro style offense but I remember thinking, man he's coached a long time, he's never called a play where a QB was designed to run with the ball?!

Translation, I wouldn't look for too many QB running plays whether it be a version of the option or otherwise.

AC, you attend practices. Are Lee and POB practicing QB running plays or not?

If that is guarded info you can't share with the public, understood.

Last edited:

Somebody phobic much?

Are you always
200.webp
when looking for things?

Methinks the person with the real "obsession" is the person in your mirror.
200.webp

OK. Thank you for your concern. Nothing to worry about. You just need to develop a better sense of humor. Oh well, lets get back to the OP. I think there is a reasonable chance our QBs will finish with minus rushing yards this season.

Last edited:
OK. Thank you for your concern. Like most folks on this board, I see that you have no sense of humor. Oh well, lets get back to the OP. I think there is a good chance our QBs will finish with minus rushing yards this season.
Seeing as how its March thats a dire prediction, even for this board.

Seeing as how its March thats a dire prediction, even for this board.

A dire prediction? You are getting too emotional. It is just a reasonable prediction.

Final season stats...

2007 - Sam Keller had -78 yards rushing

2006 - Zac Taylor, -32 yards rushing, Joe Ganz had -10.

2005 - Zac Taylor had -41 yards rushing, Harrison Beck had -7

Of course those stats include sacks, and that is what I am talking about.

It has happened before, so...

That all changed when Bo Pelini was hired. The West coast offense disappeared with Bill Callahan, but now it is back. Not saying it is a bad thing, but its a thing.

Last edited:
Then again, maybe not....

2007 - Sam Keller had minus 78 yards rushing

2006 - Zac Tayler, -32 yards rushing, Joe Ganz had -10.

2005 - Zac Taylor had -41 yards rushing, Harrison Beck had -7

Of course those stats include sacks, and that is what I am talking about.

So, it has happened before, so...
Isn't total yardage whats important?

Isn't total yardage whats important?

Of course. I did not say that negative QB rushing production was a bad thing. I am sure Tom Brady experiences it every year. But for Husker fans it will be a new thing...something they will have to adjust to.

There are a lot of husker fans who love a running QB. Those particular fans will have the hardest time trying to adjust.

Of course. I did not say that negative QB rushing production was a bad thing. I am sure Tom Brady experiences it every year. But for Husker fans it will be a new thing...something they will have to adjust to.

There are a lot of husker fans who love a running QB. Those particular fans will have the hardest time trying to adjust.
I think in this case, the ends justify the means. If there is offensive success, why would anyone question as to how it was accomplished? If there is offensive failure, that is always where the questions come from. We have been failing on offense since late 2002 and with many different styles. Some fans still cling to a Pavlovian response to what happened two decades ago as if that is the only way the Huskers can have success on offense.

Some fans still cling to a Pavlovian response to what happened two decades ago as if that is the only way the Huskers can have success on offense.

That is exactly what I am talking about. Some fans will have a harder time adjusting to our new QBs/offensive style than others, but that is not our problem.

They say 3 things can happen when you pass the ball and 2 of them are bad. Actually there are 3 bad things that can happen...incompletion, interception, and a sack. Those three things are going to happen in any offense, but much fewer times in the TO offense. How many sacks did Turner Gill ever have? There were very few negative offensive plays in the TO offense.

The sack sometimes creates a fumble as well. With Taylor Martinez, is was often. Passing QBs get blindsided. Its part of the deal. You could say the sack-fumble is a 4th bad thing that can happen when you pass the ball.

I hope Husker fans are ready for this.

:mr: "I know I'm ready! the utilization of a running QB is not my forte."

Last edited:
They say three things can happen when you pass the ball and 2 of them are bad. Actually there are 3 bad things that can happen...incompletion, interception, and a sack. Those three things are going to happen in any offense, but much fewer times in the TO offense. How many sacks did Turner Gill ever have? There were very few negative offensive plays in the TO offense.

First of all, defensive pass interference happens more often than interceptions do so that is another positive with passing. And fumbles enter the equation when the QB runs.

A running play by design doesn't have as much chance of having a negative outcome but it also doesn't have as much average yardage as a pass play does. Its a risk/reward type situation.

First of all, defensive pass interference happens more often than interceptions do so that is another positive with passing. And fumbles enter the equation when the QB runs.

A running play by design doesn't have as much chance of having a negative outcome but it also doesn't have as much average yardage as a pass play does. Its a risk/reward type situation.

Yes, there are good things that happen as a result of the passing game besides a completed pass. Those need to be counted as well. Wisconsin and Iowa have been winning the West with a pro-style attack. Our pro-style offense could be effective but we need a Wisconsin-level defense to compliment it. I am optimistic about the Diaco defense...but at this point, not as optimistic about the offense.

Yes, there are good things that happen as a result of the passing game besides a completed pass. Those need to be counted as well. Wisconsin and Iowa have been winning the West with a pro-style attack. Our pro-style offense could be effective but we need a Wisconsin-level defense to compliment it. I am optimistic about the Diaco defense...but at this point, not as optimistic about the offense.
I will say it again. Get the offensive line playing at an elite level and all offenses work.

I love a running quarterback. A preponderance of wins would ease the adjustment, for me anyway.

GET TICKETS

Back