• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Purdue Week Practice Thread: Thursday 13 October Coach Joseph/ Coaches Radio Show: Coach Joseph

I like Mickey's move on blackshirts. They're still far from playing at blackshirt level even though they're improving rapidly. And one of the biggest ways they are improving is playing assignment football, which means playing as a team. Awarding blackshirts right now, especially if not everyone gets them, would only be a distraction to that effort.

Give them out again in some future year to the starters once they have established sustained high performance and try not to get into all the drama of who has one and who doesn't again.

That's a pretty savvy and confident move by Mickey, imo. I'm generally quite impressed with his decisions about what's important right now that he can actually impact, and then the quality of decisions he makes about them. I believe it's already yielding results.

This is a way of being genuinely detailed oriented. Focus on consistency in doing the things you have to do right now well and don't dwell excessively about future goals like championships until those are actually within reach. Making consistently good decisions about details as you face them eventually leads you where you want to go.

It will be interesting to see how far it takes this team.

Last edited:

I like Mickey's move on blackshirts. They're still far from playing at blackshirt level even though they're improving rapidly. And one of the biggest ways they are improving is playing assignment football, which means playing as a team. Awarding blackshirts right now, especially if not everyone gets them, would only be a distraction to that effort.

Give them out again in some future year to the starters once they have established sustained high performance and try not to get into all the drama of who has one and who doesn't again.

That's a pretty savvy and confident move by Mickey, imo. I'm generally quite impressed with his decisions about what's important right now that he can actually impact, and then the quality of decisions he makes about them. I believe it's already yielding results.

This is a way of being genuinely detailed oriented. Focus on consistency in doing the things you have to do right now well and don't dwell excessively about future goals like championships until those are actually within reach. Making consistently good decisions about details as you face them eventually leads you where you want to go.

Love the post. Love the positivity!!! Keep it up sir

It really has become a drama. If The Blackshirts can't just be about the starting defense, and players can't deal with the pressure attributed to that, then be done with it. Because, if it eventually comes back, those issues will persist, and the drama will continue.

Love the post. Love the positivity!!! Keep it up sir
With respect, when I'm being evaluative like in that post I'm not trying to be positive, I'm trying to be objective.

Evaluating management quality in business is part of the work I've done in my career and it interests me. But I'm inexpert at it in sports coaching compared to other industries.

My mind isn't made up on Mickey as a permanent coach yet, but he's definitely got some attributes that suggest some ability, and I think it's clear to me winning the last 2 games reflects that. The former coach would have lost those (and by the way was frequently visibly not as detail oriented as a coach needs to be, imo).

Mickey will need to win some more games and show his abilities in additional ways to get me onboard with making him permanent. But it's noteworthy he's showing this well so far, I think.

Last edited:
With respect, when I'm being evaluative like in that post I'm not trying to be positive, I'm trying to be objective.

Evaluating management quality in business is part of the work I've done in my career and it interests me. But I'm inexpert at it in sports coaching compared to other industries.

My mind isn't made up on Mickey as a permanent coach yet, but he's definitely got some attributes that suggest some ability, and I think it's clear to me winning the last 2 games reflects that. The former coach would have lost those. He'll need to win some more games and show his abilities in additional ways to get me onboard with making him permanent. But it's noteworthy he's showing this well so far, imo.
I get that. I appreciate your objective view. Some people just go off the rail with a negative view of things. I just thought it was a truthful view (and a positive view) on what’s happening right now. And I agree 100% with your assessment. Having an objective view of the program is refreshing to say the least. After 4+ years of kool-aide pushing I appreciate objectivity.

Last edited:

Totally agree with putting the Blackshirts on the sidelines this year. Didn't see that one coming, but it makes total sense.

Handing out Blackshirts at this point equates to trying to "win the press conference". At the end of the day, it's not what matters. Someday it will, but let's get back to Nebraska football 1st.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back