• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Purdue Week Practice Thread: Thursday 13 October Coach Joseph/ Coaches Radio Show: Coach Joseph

With respect, when I'm being evaluative like in that post I'm not trying to be positive, I'm trying to be objective.

Evaluating management quality in business is part of the work I've done in my career and it interests me. But I'm inexpert at it in sports coaching compared to other industries.

My mind isn't made up on Mickey as a permanent coach yet, but he's definitely got some attributes that suggest some ability, and I think it's clear to me winning the last 2 games reflects that. The former coach would have lost those (and by the way was frequently visibly not as detail oriented as a coach needs to be, imo).

Mickey will need to win some more games and show his abilities in additional ways to get me onboard with making him permanent. But it's noteworthy he's showing this well so far, I think.

I doubt Mickey is getting the NU job, but part of me hopes that he gets a head coaching job somewhere. His attitude is great and I appreciate his honest, direct approach. I'd hate to see him leave the Huskers program, but he deserves a shot somewhere (assuming that's what he wants).

Last edited:

Totally agree with putting the Blackshirts on the sidelines this year. Didn't see that one coming, but it makes total sense.

Handing out Blackshirts at this point equates to trying to "win the press conference". At the end of the day, it's not what matters. Someday it will, but let's get back to Nebraska football 1st.
If the NU D does to Iowa what Illinois did I say hand them out.

Totally agree with putting the Blackshirts on the sidelines this year. Didn't see that one coming, but it makes total sense.

Handing out Blackshirts at this point equates to trying to "win the press conference". At the end of the day, it's not what matters. Someday it will, but let's get back to Nebraska football 1st.
Totally agree.
It is an unnecessary distraction.

I doubt Mickey is getting the NU job, but part of me hopes that he gets a head coaching job somewhere. His attitude is great and I appreciate his honest, direct approach. I'd hate to see him leave the Huskers program, but he deserves a shot somewhere (assuming that's what he wants).
They didn't include a clause in his re-structured contract that the new head coach had to keep Mickey Joseph on staff because Mickey wants to coach elsewhere

Great point. I think he is definitely HC material at some level and with even just a couple more wins will likely get a chance somewhere though maybe not Div 1. Now that he knows he can do it to some degree he may want to go for that and I'd say more power to him.

He may prefer to stay at Nebraska in a lesser role, but people generally are starved for good leaders to lead them, so if he is a HC sonewhere he would definitely be helping people in his highest and best use.

Last edited:
Great point. I think he is definitely HC material at some level and with even just a couple more wins will likely get a chance somewhere though maybe not Div 1. Now that he knows he can do it to some degree he may want to go for that and I'd say more power to him.
These next six games could open up opportunities Mickey never dreamed of even 12 months ago. I'm rooting for the man. I hope he does enough to merit our consideration

These next six games could open up opportunities Mickey never dreamed of even 12 months ago. I'm rooting for the man. I hope he does enough to merit our consideration
Me too. There's some number of wins less than 6 more which I think would prove he can do what needs to be done and make me believe he should be our next HC. What the number actually is for me will depend on how it looks, so I just want to wait and see, but it's clearly in the realm of possibility.

This is a way of being genuinely detailed oriented. Focus on consistency in doing the things you have to do right now well and don't dwell excessively about future goals like championships until those are actually within reach. Making consistently good decisions about details as you face them eventually leads you where you want to go.
I agree. And to be clear I do like the Blackshirt tradition for the defensive starters. In recent years, however, it's been more show than go ... this strange season needs more focus on Team, cohesiveness and competition.

MJ is trying to get everyone moving together, not that 11 Blackshirt jerseys necessarily serve to divide, but with lingering doubts about the prevalent culture in the program this decision is the right move.

MJ continues to make very solid decisions.

The longer it is not awarded but at the same time recognized, the more it will mean when it becomes reality.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back