• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

PTSD and Nebrasketball

I think it is making light of a real problem. Until I had seen it up close and personal I probably would have made light of it also. Since seeing it up close with a couple of people, one being a nephew on my wife's side, I now know how screwed up it can make people.

The kids funeral I went to was a close friends son that did 3 tours in the Iraq and Afghanistan. I didn't even know he was having problems.

Its' a basketball, its entertainment and fun.

Again, my goal was not to offend anyone. I'm not the first to reference PTSD in an analogy like this, but I understand and sympathize with your reaction given the funeral you just attended. Obviously, the tragic end to your friend's son's life is nothing to make light of. Had I known that someone reading my post would react as you did, I would not have posted it. Like CrnhskrBob, I thank your friend's son for his service to our country and for his sacrifice.

Last edited:

Who is happy about how it works. It just does work that way. I think it is a much bigger thing in basketball than football. The crowd and shooting at your home basket makes a big difference.
That's for sure, since it is much closer than a stadium crowd. All I can say is, I am not happy how it works. Seems, it is moot if anyone cares, or not; it is a problem I have to live with!! :Hooray: ;) Have a good day. Hope to "see" you tomorrow on the baseball forum. Looks like a dh, what with the rain in Charleston. :Wave:

Again, my goal was not to offend anyone. I'm not the first to reference PTSD in an analogy like this, but I understand and sympathize with your reaction given the funeral you just attended. Obviously, the tragic end to your friend's son's life is nothing to make light of. Had I known that someone reading my post would react as you did, I would not have posted it. Like CrnhskrBob, I thank your friend's son for his service to our country and for his sacrifice.
God bless all who have served and given their lives, so we can be free. Amen.

Live by the 3 and die by it. OSU attacked the glass, we are throwing up 3s. It is pretty sad that players like Mast (not singling him out) and Larwrence (to a lesser extent) do not attack the rim more. Allick does.

We need to get one more to cinch it for me. If we win vs Rutgers (and I think we will be focused) that should do it. Michigan? Meh. They may be like OSU and a tough out. But I don't think Michigan is as talented.

Love this season. Feel good where we are. If I could have one game back it would have been Illinois. But...we are where we are. Win the first one. Pray for one more loss at least each for Mich St and Wisco.

Basketball is heavily impacted by scoring runs (or droughts), and we hit a couple in Columbus. What smart teams do, and there aren’t as many as you’d think, they will run plays in an effort to get easier looks, and have more opportunity for follows from offensive rebounds. Most kids haven’t ever played like that, they always believe they can dig their way out by shooting 3s. Had we been smart, we would have likely gotten to the line more, probably closed the gap by scoring two pointers, and forced OSU to play us differently on defense.

I don’t blame coaches for those things as much as I do players. Basketball IQ should be telling those guys what to do, and Mast, Allick and Gary should be telling their teammates to push the ball inside and make more cuts to the basket. We need some more vocal and aggressive leadership on the court, because that can be a difference maker if we make the tournament.
That's the other side of the two-edged blade comprising 3's. Always nice to ring the bell, but it doesn't cost the Defense much to watch 3's miss their mark. Pound and split, make 'em work. Right there with you.

I always recommend caution when lumping era's together in forming opinions about a particular current team. Whatever NE basketball teams have done in the past carries no relevance to this incarnation.
I would think that most of us would find some joy in a Husker season that at its inception was run by a coach none would be surprised to see let go at season's end. To find disappointment with a team likely to finish in the B1G top 4 indicates the program has really inspired expectations beyond what most predicted.
In my book, that is in itself significant progress.

You're right, but I completely get what @Flat Water is saying. I'm happy overall with where we are with the season in totality, but not with that outcome and still wondering about the mental makeup of the team on a neutral or foreign court.

I watched the Ohio State game as well and found myself having flashbacks of Tim Miles or earlier Hoiberg teams. I said it in another post or chat somewhere that luckily the team doesn't have the decades of bad basketball outcome memories that we do, but it's hard not to slide to the edge of your seat when a solid lead starts slipping away when we're turning the ball over, chucking up bricks or bad threes and suddenly we're looking at a comeback.

To your point, we're likely to finish in the top third of the B1G and with 21 or maybe even 22 wins. Not a frequent happening in my lifetime. This would mark the fourth time including one by Cipriano, one in Iba's tenure, one by Nee and now one by Hoiberg. That's something to hang our hat on to be sure.

But then....along comes Lucy.

Who is happy about how it works. It just does work that way. I think it is a much bigger thing in basketball than football. The crowd and shooting at your home basket makes a big difference.
Crowds are right on top of you as well.

Crowds are right on top of you as well.
In my limited experience playing basketball there is a difference playing home vs in a different arena. The background always bothered me. Especially going from a smaller gym to a large arena. The background screwed with my depth perception in shooting and it was hard to adjust during a single game. Maybe the Huskers experience that but since my basketball life was high school perhaps that ability to adjust is one of the things that separate the bad players (me) from the good ones.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back