• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

PTSD and Nebrasketball

Flat Water

Recruit
2 Year Member
While I thought we would probably lose to OSU last night, I was still disappointed by the performance. I will confess that I still have PTSD when I watch this team. There have been so many disappointing moments in the history of Nebrasketball, and in general my rule of thumb has been to never get too optimistic because the team will ultimately disappoint. Everyone feels good about making the NCAA tournament (and barring a late season collapse, we should make it), but I'm not optimistic about how this team will perform in the dance given its struggles away from PBA. It would be great to see a Husker team that exceeds our expectations down the stretch, but I will believe it when I see it. Prove me wrong, Huskers.

While I thought we would probably lose to OSU last night, I was still disappointed by the performance. I will confess that I still have PTSD when I watch this team. There have been so many disappointing moments in the history of Nebrasketball, and in general my rule of thumb has been to never get too optimistic because the team will ultimately disappoint. Everyone feels good about making the NCAA tournament (and barring a late season collapse, we should make it), but I'm not optimistic about how this team will perform in the dance given its struggles away from PBA. It would be great to see a Husker team that exceeds our expectations down the stretch, but I will believe it when I see it. Prove me wrong, Huskers.
People with ptsd need to seek help.
Please do

Having just attended a funeral ,this past Saturday, of someone that committed suicide because of PTSD, I think your use of the word in regards to a basketball game in poor taste.

I can be disappointed by the loss, which I am, but I don't see how you can be that disappointed by the team's performance. They didn't play terrible. They didn't commit 18 turnovers or get out rebounded by 20. They shot under their average, but not terribly bad.

They lost the for 2 reasons. Jamison Battle went off and had a PR night with OSU and scored 32 points. The bigger reason was OSU shooting 28 free throws to Nebraska's 8.

Having just attended a funeral ,this past Saturday, of someone that committed suicide because of PTSD, I think your use of the word in regards to a basketball game in poor taste.

I can be disappointed by the loss, which I am, but I don't see how you can be that disappointed by the team's performance. They didn't play terrible. They didn't commit 18 turnovers or get out rebounded by 20. They shot under their average, but not terribly bad.

They lost the for 2 reasons. Jamison Battle went off and had a PR night with OSU and scored 32 points. The bigger reason was OSU shooting 28 free throws to Nebraska's 8.

I apologize if I offended with my casual use of the term PTSD. That was not my intent.

My point was not that I was disappointed with the loss (although I was). I understand that even the best teams have losses like that, and this was not about one game. Rather, my point was that repeated disappointments over the years have left me with a gnawing sense that this year will turn out in a similar fashion. We have experienced a lot of basketball futility over the years, and we are the only major college basketball team that has never won an NCAA Tournament game. Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong and this is the year that we finally get it done.

I apologize if I offended with my casual use of the term PTSD. That was not my intent.

My point was not that I was disappointed with the loss (although I was). I understand that even the best teams have losses like that, and this was not about one game. Rather, my point was that repeated disappointments over the years have left me with a gnawing sense that this year will turn out in a similar fashion. We have experienced a lot of basketball futility over the years, and we are the only major college basketball team that has never won an NCAA Tournament game. Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong and this is the year that we finally get it done.
I always recommend caution when lumping era's together in forming opinions about a particular current team. Whatever NE basketball teams have done in the past carries no relevance to this incarnation.
I would think that most of us would find some joy in a Husker season that at its inception was run by a coach none would be surprised to see let go at season's end. To find disappointment with a team likely to finish in the B1G top 4 indicates the program has really inspired expectations beyond what most predicted.
In my book, that is in itself significant progress.

While I thought we would probably lose to OSU last night, I was still disappointed by the performance. I will confess that I still have PTSD when I watch this team. There have been so many disappointing moments in the history of Nebrasketball, and in general my rule of thumb has been to never get too optimistic because the team will ultimately disappoint. Everyone feels good about making the NCAA tournament (and barring a late season collapse, we should make it), but I'm not optimistic about how this team willo9 perform in the dance given its struggles away from PBA. It would be great to see a Husker team that exceeds our expectations down the stretch, but I will believe it when I see it. Prove me wrong, Huskers.
Well said.
We shall see what happens.

Amazing how the quality of basketball drops when we are on the road! Biased officiating does not help either!

They played a couple of games well on the road but didn’t finish.

I was disappointed how two games ago our defense looked like it was the best in the country and less than a week later it was average and lacked energy.

My concern is we fall flat on the road in the Big 10 tournament because the team doesn’t get their home cooking and laser lite show.

Your post is fine!

Basketball is heavily impacted by scoring runs (or droughts), and we hit a couple in Columbus. What smart teams do, and there aren’t as many as you’d think, they will run plays in an effort to get easier looks, and have more opportunity for follows from offensive rebounds. Most kids haven’t ever played like that, they always believe they can dig their way out by shooting 3s. Had we been smart, we would have likely gotten to the line more, probably closed the gap by scoring two pointers, and forced OSU to play us differently on defense.

I don’t blame coaches for those things as much as I do players. Basketball IQ should be telling those guys what to do, and Mast, Allick and Gary should be telling their teammates to push the ball inside and make more cuts to the basket. We need some more vocal and aggressive leadership on the court, because that can be a difference maker if we make the tournament.

Well said.
We shall see what happens.

Amazing how the quality of basketball drops when we are on the road! Biased officiating does not help either!

The quality of basketball for most teams drops on the road and is uplifted for the home team. That is why it is called a home court advantage. The B1G greatly and college basketball in general has been a home court advantage game this season.

Would you feel better if we had a couple of loses at home and a couple more wins on the road? Would you trade wins against Purdue and Wisconsin for wins on the road against Maryland and Rutgers? The record is the same but the RPI or Ken Pom or quad wins or what ever they look at certainly drops off.

No problem with your using PTSD. More bothered by folks calling athletes "warriors". But that's what words are for; to make the world go round.

I think it is making light of a real problem. Until I had seen it up close and personal I probably would have made light of it also. Since seeing it up close with a couple of people, one being a nephew on my wife's side, I now know how screwed up it can make people.

The kids funeral I went to was a close friends son that did 3 tours in the Iraq and Afghanistan. I didn't even know he was having problems.

Its' a basketball, its entertainment and fun.

The quality of basketball for most teams drops on the road and is uplifted for the home team. That is why it is called a home court advantage. The B1G greatly and college basketball in general has been a home court advantage game this season.

Would you feel better if we had a couple of loses at home and a couple more wins on the road? Would you trade wins against Purdue and Wisconsin for wins on the road against Maryland and Rutgers? The record is the same but the RPI or Ken Pom or quad wins or what ever they look at certainly drops off.
I don't care to use the what if, my friend. It is what it is, though. I am still not happy the way "home court advantage" works. :)

Last edited:
I think it is making light of a real problem. Until I had seen it up close and personal I probably would have made light of it also. Since seeing it up close with a couple of people, one being a nephew on my wife's side, I now know how screwed up it can make people.

The kids funeral I went to was a close friends son that did 3 tours in the Iraq and Afghanistan. I didn't even know he was having problems.

Its' a basketball, its entertainment and fun.
No comparison. It is more than apples and oranges. Basketball is a sport. This young man gave his life. We all thank him for his service and sacrifice. Rest in peace, young man.

I don't care to use the what if, my friend. It is what it is, though. I am still not happy the way "home court advantage" works. :)

Who is happy about how it works. It just does work that way. I think it is a much bigger thing in basketball than football. The crowd and shooting at your home basket makes a big difference.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back